f90x

3 dunlops and a cheapie

so my new car (yet to be collected) has good dunlops on the front and the rear has one good dunlop and one good somethingorother (the previous owner went the cheap route after a puncture). now my question is would you keep it like that or move the unknown tyre to the front given that the rear is the end that needs all the good grip. if i was looking at front wheel drive i would definately do it as i could then wear out that dodgy tyre quicker at the front and have better grip at the back.

so, given that it is quite a powerful rear wheel drive car i am thinking that it would be best to do the same and have the matched pair on the rears. would you agree or would you leave the unmatched pair at the back, wear them out asap and then replace with a new set of dunlops to match the front?

in an ideal world i would change the lot to bridgestones but £600 on tyres in one hit is not my idea of fun at the moment.

cheers

steve

Don't know about the Saloon but the coupe is scary to drive with mismatched tyres. Best to match all the tyres if you can. Could you buy another Dunlop to match the other 3?

Have a read at his from another BMW forum

http://www.bmwland.co.uk/talker/viewtopic....&highlight=

If you plan on replacing all 4 tyres Falken FK452 come very highly rated on other forums.

HTH

D

it's a bummer D. i never have different tyres on my cars. even if i was selling it on i would have changed a punctured one for the same thing. i have looked at the falkens before and i've read good things about them in the car mags too. the problem i have with changing the tyre so soon is that i want all the tyres to have even wear. i it pisses me off that i'll have 3 half worns and a brand new one if i get a new dunlop. you're right though, i may have to bite the bullet and change it. does the spare wheel well accept a full size tyre. if so i could get a banger of a spare wheel and put the no-name tyre on that and take the space saver out.

it looks like the guys at bmwland don't like bridgestones on the beemers anyway. i've always been a fan but it was a fwd honda so no comparison. what say everyone here.

Mate, I would change the odd one to either the same or better still put a pair on there if you don't want to go for the whole set.

As said above the Falken FK452's are the business I am running them at the moment on my 19's and I would say they are as good if not better than my PS2's I had fiited on the 18's.

You will prob get say 2 Falken 452 for the price of 1 Dunlop,so i would buy 2 falkens,save the dunlop for spare for front and sell the other tyre

Falkens from camskill

nice suggestion but i can't do that as i would never run two different brands of tyre and in addition i have the staggered set up.

this has all been pretty helpfull guys, i think i shall either get just the one dunlop to replace the cheapo or two new dunlops (depending on how flush i'm feeling)and put the part worn dunlop on a 2nd hand rim and stick it in the spare wheel well if it fits.

it looks like dunlops for my ownership of the car unless all four wear out at the same time some time in the future.

cheers

steve

Woaw, i didnt know that about the mismatched tyer thing!

I have Dunlop Sports on the front and pirelli's on the back I've not noticed any worse handling or any more slide... its better if anything! Before i swapped them i had dunlop sport all round. Only reason i had to switch to pirelli's was because my back tyers were below the limit for leagal tyer wear and they didnt have any 255/40/18 dunlop in stock...

Not wanting to state the obvious.......

All 3 dunlops are part worn, you don't want to buy

4 new ones and you don't want to replace the crap tyre

with a new one due to wear.

Why Not buy a part worn Dunlop to go with the other part worn Dunlops?

Get it off eBay?

Then replace them all in one go when they are due, or front to back, whatever it is

you do.

Its obvious really!? ;)

Not wanting to state the obvious.......

All 3 dunlops are part worn, you don't want to buy

4 new ones and you don't want to replace the crap tyre

with a new one due to wear.

Why Not buy a part worn Dunlop to go with the other part worn Dunlops?

Get it off eBay?

Then replace them all in one go when they are due, or front to back, whatever it is

you do.

Its obvious really!? ;)

X 2 I agree mate, makes sense to me :D

yeah, i've been looking at ebay. there's currently only new ones on there being sold by some joker who wants £165 each for them.

Ok I'll lower my price then...... ;)

not yet. as as most of my driving is trundling around london or nipping down the m40 to my folks at the moment i'm going to leave it as it is unless i find a decent part worn on ebay. i might be taking it to france later in the year and if i haven't found a part worn by then i'll probably just get a new pair of dunlops for the rear just before i go.

i do like your green btw, it's nice to see something other than black, silver or topaz blue. (even though i have a silver one) it looks really smart.

cheers matt. i didn't even think about that and i used to do it all the time in my youth. see what ebay does to you, melts your brain and you lose all of your imagination.

I am a recent Dunlop convert after years running on Avons and lovin them. Sadly Avon don't make the rears for my 18" MV1s and the cheapys that were on are great with the traction off but looked chod and did not last long.

Moved over to Dunlop Sport 9000, a full set. They are one of the best set of rubber I have used. I did not look at Dunlop as I had a pair on my R1 and ZX12r and they were awful on the bikes.

I would advise anyone to give these sport 9000's a go. They glue to the road at high speeds and although I do get a little tramlining...show me a tire this wide and low that won't!!!

I got mine off a small business in Leicester and they were cheaper than anywhere else. Plus they look the dogs.

I have been told that Dunlop are in the prosess of replacing the sport 9000 with a new tire, but I looked at the replacment and its not as nice looking.

I have Goodyear Eagle F1s (current model, GSD3 or something). They are the business. Transformed the handling of my car compared to the Bridgestones that were on it before. They also won this year's Autocar tyre test, so I'm not the only one who thinks they are good :D

Got them from BlackCircles.com - they are also the business. I knew the guy who set the company up (he was the technical director at kwik-fit when I used to look after their web servers) and their service is second to none.