Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,803 posts
  • Current Car:BMW E46 318i SE (2001) Saloon - Topaz Blue
  • Interests:Music,<br />My Bird,<br />My Son<br />My Car<br />UFC

Posted 27 October 2009 - 08:58 AM

Morning,

I recently had my tyres changed at Kwit Shi*t and everything seemed fine, i has a bit of baldness on the near side front on the outer edge but the fitter said that this was excessive driving round town because it wasnt on the offside...

Since having the tyres changed my car has started to vear slightly to the right, so i had a ganders under my car an all the bushes seem fine but when checking the wheel for movement, both front sides move back and forth slightly, its only a small amount, but im not sure whether this is normal for a rear wheel drive car...??

I had a look at the arms when moving the wheels by just grabbing the tyre and pushing and pulling it and i cant see what the problem may be?? Its affected my driving a little and i seem to be pulling to the left more because the car wants to shoot right....

Any ideas or is this normal for the movement to be there????

Thanks very much guys
Posted Image
318i SE - 18" M6 Replica Alloys - 7000K CCFL Angel Eyes - Tinted Headlights and Front Indicators - Carbon Font Number Plate - BMW Neiderlassung Number Plate Surround - EuroDyne Carbon Fabric Trims - Painted Calipers - Gloss Black Grilles
Coming Soon - Lowered - M Sport Bumper - LED Rear Lights - LED Interior Lights.

#2 mit

mit

More Advanced Member

• Subscriber
  • 23,415 posts
  • Current Car:E93 325i | E46 330i | K46 S1000RR | W201 190E 2.3-16

Posted 27 October 2009 - 09:50 AM

Did they do the tracking/wheel alignment? Sounds like you need to take it back to them, especially if it wasn't veering to one side before you took it in.

Everything I post is my opinion. If I don't know that you disagree, I won't argue with you :)

#3 Sam_Burns

Sam_Burns

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,803 posts

Posted 27 October 2009 - 09:55 AM

It was going left becaise of the baldness on that side....

Now with tyres put on its going the other way?? I dont get it???

They didn tdo tracking and wheel alignement at the time...just swapped my tyres over...
Posted Image
318i SE - 18" M6 Replica Alloys - 7000K CCFL Angel Eyes - Tinted Headlights and Front Indicators - Carbon Font Number Plate - BMW Neiderlassung Number Plate Surround - EuroDyne Carbon Fabric Trims - Painted Calipers - Gloss Black Grilles

#4 zimzimmer46

zimzimmer46

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6,650 posts
  • Current Car:330ci Sport coupe

Posted 27 October 2009 - 10:37 AM

They should balance em(fronts) and def get the tracking done

Posted Image

#5 Sam_Burns

Sam_Burns

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,803 posts

Posted 27 October 2009 - 10:39 AM

They balanced them....ill go back and get em tracked....hopefully should do the trick...
Posted Image

#6 simonlpearce

simonlpearce

Sex - The Breakfast Of Champions

• 21,761 posts
  • Current Car:E36 M3 Evo Indiviual

Posted 27 October 2009 - 12:27 PM

If tracking doesnt sort it id say perhaps your bearing are on their way out, this usually is the sign of movement on the wheel although i dont think it causes it to pull to one side...so it could also be bushes.

Get a local indy to have a proper look, my bushes seemed fine at a glance but were defo fubard!

Posted ImagePosted ImagePosted Image

#7 Matt

Matt

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 293 posts
  • Current Car:E60 M5
  • Interests:Going to Shell petrol stations! ;)

Posted 27 October 2009 - 12:49 PM

Sounds like a combination of tracking and front wishbone bushes. There should be some movement there, as they're designed that way, but not a huge amount. Are you getting any judder or vibration through the steering wheel when braking? If you are, it's most likely the bushes.

#8 Rob-

Rob-

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 13,029 posts

Posted 27 October 2009 - 12:55 PM

Could be a wheel bearing although Its usually coupled with a slight rumbling though, that gets progressively worse.

Try jacking the front of the car up, taking the keyout so the steering lock is on and then check for play in the front wheels. This will usually confirm a knackered bearing

Mine pulled to the left before i changed my tyres and now it seems fine, could just be the difference in tread depth thats causing it, tbh if you were getting uneven wear beforehand, Kwik Fit should have pushed the issue of getting your tracking done after the new tyres were fitted..

Might sound stupid, but did they tighten your wheel bolts up properly?
img04441.jpg

#9 simonlpearce

simonlpearce

Sex - The Breakfast Of Champions

• 21,761 posts
  • Current Car:E36 M3 Evo Indiviual

Posted 27 October 2009 - 01:00 PM

^^^^ Youd certainly hope so otherwise id be writing a letter of complaint to Kwik fit HO!

Posted ImagePosted ImagePosted Image

#10 duffman

duffman

343 bhp....... m power oh yeah baby!!!!!

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,975 posts
  • Current Car:2006 M3 CS
  • Interests:cars, rugby, women.............. playstation lol

Posted 27 October 2009 - 01:52 PM

im with simon on this one, they should really have checked everything before allowing you back on the road!!!
Posted Image
Duffman, A.K.A.............. Lionel Hutz

#11 Sam_Burns

Sam_Burns

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,803 posts

Posted 27 October 2009 - 02:55 PM

Sounds like a combination of tracking and front wishbone bushes. There should be some movement there, as they're designed that way, but not a huge amount. Are you getting any judder or vibration through the steering wheel when braking? If you are, it's most likely the bushes.

Well i do have a little bit of movement, like you say, nothing major...i was worried that it buggered it royally on a nice kerb i knocked recently..

Mine pulled to the left before i changed my tyres and now it seems fine, could just be the difference in tread depth thats causing it, tbh if you were getting uneven wear beforehand, Kwik Fit should have pushed the issue of getting your tracking done after the new tyres were fitted..

They wernt new tyres....well, nearly new of an E36 which had the same sized wheels as mine...so i just swapped the tyres over for my MOT next month...That is the main reason i could think of to be honest...ive got two goodyears on the front and two firestones on the back from the e36....but no doubt when that had its tyres changed they were done within months of eachother.....The more and more i read through everybodys suggestions its making my pockets wince at the thought of a BMW repair...AGAIN...!!! :P
Posted Image

#12 autosri

autosri

Advanced Member

• Subscriber
  • 5,571 posts
  • Current Car:330ci clubsport

Posted 27 October 2009 - 03:36 PM

I think it's the bushes on the rear of the arm it doesn't take much to make it feel horible to drive and wander all over the place
I would just check those again as they are a really common thing

Posted Image

wizards of nos sb150i nitrous oxide kit, max extreme top of the range progressive controller, 6 cyl direct port conversion kit,

purge valve, automatic bottle heater, methanol/water injection direct in throttle body, 50/50 meth/water controlled with progressive controller.

twin 5lb bottles, 125bhp jets = lots of fun

#13 Sam_Burns

Sam_Burns

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,803 posts

Posted 27 October 2009 - 04:20 PM

It definately wanders at the minute, but never did before hand...i think i trip to see thw kwik fit fitters when i get home....
Posted Image

#14 chris

chris

Behind you!

• Subscriber
  • 9,122 posts
  • Current Car:M3 CSL
  • Interests:Gym, car.

Posted 29 October 2009 - 10:19 PM

Get a 2ft bar with a 17mm socket on, stick it on a wheel bolt and see how much movement you get left to right, if its a bit then wishbone bushes will be on the xmas list :rolleyes: I got mine done, and it feels like a new car now! Powerflex ones are a must too <_<

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users