shabz

What Is The Difference Between M-sport & Sport??

36 posts in this topic

Please can someone shed some light on what the main differences are between the m-sport and the sport?

i have a 320d sport, which has the m badge on the wheels, steering wheel, gearstick and doorsills - what extra's do you get with the m-sport?

They are one and the same! No difference the correct term is M-Sport but people shorten it to just "sport" or if your old skool like me I still refer to it as M-Tech or M-Technik!

According to my insurance company the E46 is officially "Sport". The "M-Sport" name was only used for E90's..

Kinda makes sense! Checked my car on askMID and it said sport. Tried an E90 and it said "M-Sport".

The biggest difference is that people think it's important to mention that their car is a m-sport when they ask what the best ipod adapter is, or how to get replacement keys.

There has to be some difference, I was checking on Parker's Guide before I bought mine and the 325ci Sport and 325ci M Sport were listed seperatley (under the E46 section of course), although I couldn't see any differences performace wise.

none really

Cheers people, its just that on my log book it clearly states that its a sport but weren't sure if i could claim it being an m-sport (if that makes sense!!) As Salim says, certain models are specifically released as an m-sport as opposed to a sport, so didnt want to jump on the m-sport bandwagon!!

Its to do with the year your car was made!!

Think the pre facelift were known as Sport and the facelift were MSport!

No difference in spec just a slight name charge!

According to my insurance company the E46 is officially "Sport". The "M-Sport" name was only used for E90's..

Correctumondo.

Apparently some very late E46 coupes were also called M Sport. These are only ones which were sold after the E90 saloon was launched (as that actually is called M Sport), so 55 plate onwards.

But there is absolutely bugger all difference between these and Sport models.

People just like the name 'M Sport' better as it has the ///M in the name!

If there's anyone out there that thinks they've got an E46 'M Sport' go and check your V5 document. Unless you've got a very late coupe then I'll bet you my house that it's a 'Sport'. :)

The biggest difference is that people think it's important to mention that their car is a m-sport when they ask what the best ipod adapter is, or how to get replacement keys.

Or washer fluid :)

My local calls mine a m-sport but log book states sport.

Thinks its free for all imo :angry: lol

Its to do with the year your car was made!!

Think the pre facelift were known as Sport and the facelift were MSport!

No difference in spec just a slight name charge!

Yup

Yup

Nope.

I've got brochures and a price list from 2004 and there's absolutely no reference to M Sport at all, only Sport.

You learn something new everyday, i thought they were all M-Sport because they all had M styling...

Nope.

I've got brochures and a price list from 2004 and there's absolutely no reference to M Sport at all, only Sport.

was there any mention of it in terms of the styling, steveo ??

Nope.

looky :lol: Hate being right all the time :lol:

bmwspecs.pdf

It really p**ses me of when people say they have got a M sport, I think yer bet you have then you go look and its a se or something with M3 stickers and a M gear stick thn they say whats your car, so I say 330 sport , then they say my mate has the one up from that they have a 318 CI sport.

sorry had this in a pub when I 1st got my car

looky :lol: Hate being right all the time :D

That answers everything, no arguments there! :lol:

It really p**ses me of when people say they have got a M sport, I think yer bet you have then you go look and its a se or something with M3 stickers and a M gear stick thn they say whats your car, so I say 330 sport , then they say my mate has the one up from that they have a 318 CI sport.

sorry had this in a pub when I 1st got my car

Just tell them you've got a Vectra to save argument lol

looky :lol: Hate being right all the time :D

Looky, I know it's tough being right all the time so I'll give you a day off by proving you wrong :D

If you look at the last page of that brochure you posted it's dated September 2005. So thats 55 plate.

Here's pics I took of the brochure I've got. You'll see it's dated 2004 and has references only to 'Sport' models.

P1020611.jpg

P1020612.jpg

P1020613.jpg

P1020614.jpg

P1020615.jpg

You can clearly see from one of the pics that it is of a facelift model but it's called 'Sport'

If you look back at my previous post I said that they were all Sports until 55plate when the E90 saloons were launched and then they changed the E46 coupe to 'M Sport' to match the E90 saloons.

I think you'll find that the brochure that you posted combined with the brochure I posted proves me 100% correct :lol:

Shabz- yeah, the wheels, steering wheel and bumpers are all 'M' bits according to the brochure.

The reason this annoys me so much is that when I sell my car I'll advertise it as a 'Sport' becasue thats what it is.

I'm worried that, like the original poster, people will get confused and think that there is a model called M sport which is better than the sport.

Just to re-iterate there is NO difference between an M-Sport and a Sport, it's just marketing speak dependant on the year of the model you are looking at.

Looky, I know it's tough being right all the time so I'll give you a day off by proving you wrong B)

If you look at the last page of that brochure you posted it's dated September 2005. So thats 55 plate.

Here's pics I took of the brochure I've got. You'll see it's dated 2004 and has references only to 'Sport' models.

P1020611.jpg

P1020612.jpg

P1020613.jpg

P1020614.jpg

P1020615.jpg

You can clearly see from one of the pics that it is of a facelift model but it's called 'Sport'

If you look back at my previous post I said that they were all Sports until 55plate when the E90 saloons were launched and then they changed the E46 coupe to 'M Sport' to match the E90 saloons.

I think you'll find that the brochure that you posted combined with the brochure I posted proves me 100% correct :rolleyes:

Shabz- yeah, the wheels, steering wheel and bumpers are all 'M' bits according to the brochure

The reason this annoys me so much is that when I sell my car I'll advertise it as a 'Sport' becasue thats what it is.

I'm worried that, like the original poster, people will get confused and think that there is a model called M sport which is better than the sport.

I will let you off lol, did not read your post saying that. But I know I'm right lmao

Let's get this right shall we. :D

No E46 is an "M-Sport" Never has been. Never will be. M-sport was only introduced as a description on the E90.