Fraz

Hlp Pls-removing Wing Mirror Covers

Hi all changing the wingmirror on my e46 - need to take the colour coded cap off of my old mirror and fit to the new mirror - any advice on the best way to remove the cap please. Regards Fraz

Yes, don't just pull it or you will break it.

You need to remove the mirror glass first - by tilting it fully up or down, then pulling from the top or bottom centre (depending on whether you tilted it down or up). If you pull the mirror from anywhere else you will crack it and hit yourself with a £90 bill for a new one.

Once you remove the mirror glass you will see that the cover clips on through some plastic clips. You press them slightly up or down (depending on the clip) while also using those clips to push the cover out.

Simples :)

Yes, don't just pull it or you will break it.

You need to remove the mirror glass first - by tilting it fully up or down, then pulling from the top or bottom centre (depending on whether you tilted it down or up). If you pull the mirror from anywhere else you will crack it and hit yourself with a £90 bill for a new one.

Once you remove the mirror glass you will see that the cover clips on through some plastic clips. You press them slightly up or down (depending on the clip) while also using those clips to push the cover out.

Simples :)

Mit,

I just pulled the backs off and there was no breakin or probs ? Guess I was lucky then lol :huh:

Mit,

I just pulled the backs off and there was no breakin or probs ? Guess I was lucky then lol :huh:

Yes you were, because if you'd broken them you'd have had to bodge with a glue gun or fork out about £200 for new ones, then get them sprayed :)

Best not risk it if you know how to remove them properly...

so does the glass definatly just clip out? i have been searching the net this afternoon and one post states there is a clip behind the glass which need to be moved inorder to release the glass.

regards fraz

Yes you were, because if you'd broken them you'd have had to bodge with a glue gun or fork out about £200 for new ones, then get them sprayed :D

Best not risk it if you know how to remove them properly...

Yes it definitely just pulls off, but you have to be really careful and make sure you only pull at the centre (either top or bottom).

If you pull from the sides you will break the glass (I made this mistake the first time and it cost me dearly)!

Yes it definitely just pulls off, but you have to be really careful and make sure you only pull at the centre (either top or bottom).

If you pull from the sides you will break the glass (I made this mistake the first time and it cost me dearly)!

Ah ha I see, I broke both my old glasses on the manual fold mirrors :( managed to swap them both without the glass for a new foglight tho :D cheers for the top Mit, btw do you know how much the mirror can be taken apart, i.e to be cleaned ? Mines broken and needs cleaning I think

You can take the whole thing apart if you want to clean it to Daz levels of shiny.

Def take the mirror out to get the back cover off! Some cyclist decided to swip mine with their handle bars and bust all of the clips holding it in, so it is now glued in place, grr!