simonlpearce

Bmw To Unleash 350bhp M1

I think there's a 123d, not sure about the 135. There's a 135i though, and it's very fast B)

Might it be close in real world driving if remapped?

Oh come on, next you'll be saying you can keep up with a Porsche B)

To be honest though for real world driving I'd probably rather have the diesel!

It is indeed but as the 335 lump would be in a lighter car then it too would be an m1/m3 contender?

So what you mean is a remaped 135d might be a M3 contender. The M1 will still have the most powerful engine available in the 1-series.

Oh come on, next you'll be saying you can keep up with a Porsche B)

To be honest for real world driving I'd probably rather have the diesel!

What you on about Mit...did you not mean to say that the Porsche can keep up with me...?! lol

335d engines can see 350+ bhp and 510 lbs/ft of torque from a remap (probably more if you prefer power over reliability) id prefer this any day to an M3.

Put this into a 1 series chassis with a manual box it probably would stay with an M3 especially from a rolling start as theres less weight to move.

I think it would be sacreligious if they call that thing an M1! There is and only ever be one M1 and thats the original. I'm still not sold over these 1-series even if it is rapid. The coupe just looks wrong. I would have a 3 series everytime. But hey as the saying goes, horses for courses.

Had a big discussion about this on another forum.

The performance times quoted are wrong (its states 5.5sec 0-60 which is slower than the current 135, the E46 M3 and a Z3M Coupe which all manage under 5.2). Also, the quoted bhp of 350 can be achieved quite easily on the 135, with a change of intercooler and a remap; the addition of both will cost much less than the £8k premium it carries over a 135. So is it worth it? For the money why not have a year old, full-fat E92 M3 with over 400bhp? Saying that, I do 'get' the 1er, and love them to bits - very cool cars.

It seems like it doesn't really know what its proposition is. Unless they give it more bhp and make it looks something really special, I'd rather buy the 135 and spend the £8k change on the full BMW Performance options (tuning pack with inter cooler, steering wheel, bbk, suspension, exhaust, CF goodness etc).

And I don't agree with these diesel comparisons - sure the big, turboed diesels can have similar performance, but IMO you buy a petrol sports car so you can take it to the 8k redline...

It has to be agreed you do buy a petrol to see it go as high as 8k on the redline, i wasnt suggesting they should have made a diesel i was just suprised at the figures stated. However from another read i think it does state that these figures are not actual and just estimates.

I am also a big fan of the 1er though, i saw a couple last year up close and they do look tidy!

Yeah saw the 135i, could you imagine if they stuck the twin turbo 135d in there out of the 3er, that would be a serious M1 contender.

The 135 is a Twin Turbo .... as is the 123d .

And I don't agree with these diesel comparisons - sure the big, turboed diesels can have similar performance, but IMO you buy a petrol sports car so you can take it to the 8k redline...

Hmm ....You rev to the 8k redline , while the Stinky Diesel driver has changed Up a cog , with Maximum Torque @ around 3 - 3500k and is Pulling away from you like a Train :)

I am the only one who thinks they look sh*t?

+1

Never really been keen on the 1 series. To me they just look too small, when I think of a BMW coupe it should be long and sleek and wide, yet I see these and they look out of proportion IMO.

WTF !

They can't get a BMW 1 series and call it an M1.

No wucking fay!

This is what an M1 is and has always been since 1978:

BMW_M1_1.jpg

Yeah hopefully they wont called it the M1, as then my number plate will be worth less than when they re-release the proper M1. Well hopefully, then im rich :)

I hate 1 series sorry but just hate them and most seem to be driven by total idiots-well at least in Bedfordshire!!! Sorry just cant like them-especially those poxy hatchback things ewww!

I know they are quick and am sure this M1 will be but M3 or M6 anyday of the week for me! (if I had the money of course!!)