simonlpearce

Bmw To Unleash 350bhp M1

The comments on the 1 series being too small make me wonder how it stacks up in size next to a 2002, E21 & E30?

My E46 feels huge in comparrison with older models from the same lineage. A lot of cars have got bigger and bigger until the manufacturer eventually introduces a smaller car range - look at the Ford KA for one, got to be about the same size as a mk1 fiesta? In some respects, the 1 is closer to the earlier 3's than the current 3 range, so an M version more in keeping with the character of the E30 M3 would be best?

The comments on the 1 series being too small make me wonder how it stacks up in size next to a 2002, E21 & E30?

My E46 feels huge in comparrison with older models from the same lineage. A lot of cars have got bigger and bigger until the manufacturer eventually introduces a smaller car range - look at the Ford KA for one, got to be about the same size as a mk1 fiesta? In some respects, the 1 is closer to the earlier 3's than the current 3 range, so an M version more in keeping with the character of the E30 M3 would be best?

BMW Car did a comparison a while ago on this exact point, and the 1 series is pretty close to an e30 - and hence they went on about how an "M1" would be the nearest equivalent to the original e30 M3.

Might it be close in real world driving if remapped?

there was a fella on evoteknik that sold his m3 to his mate and bought a 335tt D remapped it and it ate the m3 off the road low down torks was deadly

http://www.bmw.co.uk/bmwuk/pricesandspecifications_technical_specs/0,,1156_181261420__bs-TQ%3D%3D%40bb-RTgyQ1BN%40bm-VVI5Mg%3D%3D,00.html?tab=technicalSpec&isPGA=

They did it. £39,990 buys you 340bhp, 450 Nm torque and 0-62 in 4.9 secs, oh and a radio single cd player

Edited by bigbaz

Eh? Isn't this old news now?

It's not going to be an M1, it's a 1 series M-Coupe. It uses the same engine as the Z4 sdrive35i with minor mods and the engine doesn't even have an ///M badge on it.

Plus it's silly money more than a 135i for apparently v little gain.

There's loads of stuff from BMW on this now, unless I've missed something?

You can remap a diesel until the cows come home, proper serious performance cars should have nice power delivery and no diesels have nice power delivery.

All your comparisons are 0-60, rolling start motorway races etc. If that's the only things you think about when looking at performance cars, perhaps your wasting your money.

The 1 Series M Coupe has been considerably revised chassis, suspension, power delivery as well as additional power, looks etc over the 135i for a reason. It's not just a drag queen, it's a proper balls out sports car. And IMO, looks vastly better than a normal 135i Coupe.

To all the diesel lovers (and I dont dislike diesels) ask your yourselves this. If Diesel power was so good, why are ALL serious performance road cars still petrol powered?

You can remap a diesel until the cows come home, proper serious performance cars should have nice power delivery and no diesels have nice power delivery.

All your comparisons are 0-60, rolling start motorway races etc. If that's the only things you think about when looking at performance cars, perhaps your wasting your money.

The 1 Series M Coupe has been considerably revised chassis, suspension, power delivery as well as additional power, looks etc over the 135i for a reason. It's not just a drag queen, it's a proper balls out sports car. And IMO, looks vastly better than a normal 135i Coupe.

To all the diesel lovers (and I dont dislike diesels) ask your yourselves this. If Diesel power was so good, why are ALL serious performance road cars still petrol powered?

I actually couldnt agree more with this point, and the only reason BMW didnt put an M badge on the engine is because then they would have to make it even quicker and then no one would want the M3...its all about the clever marketing!

Saw one yesterday, 10 reg, they look like they're doing 100mph into a hairpin when they're parked up with no one in. Awesome looking and from what I have heard from some owners, stunning performance.

Compromised, but if you care more about driving than warming your buttocks on fat leather seats, this is the car to have.

Or....

black-ariel-atom.jpg

V8 is on the pricey side, but in something that small and light, I should think the supercharged V-Tec will scare most people to death on the maiden voyage.

"Bit" more mainstream, but still looks great and goes like stink...

DSC00417_1.sized.jpg

Notice how none of these cars are diesel....

As of April i will be the proud owner of one of the above (non-turbo), kind of. My old man is leaving me one to look after whilst he is off to live in Cyprus, they are an absolutely awesome drive and quicker than the 330 for sure. Only problem is Vauxhall made them and they have lots of annoying problems. Heaters stopped working, the window runners break and the windows rattle, people tend to lean on the doors to get out and the door hinges move so the doors dont shut correctly etc etc etc.

All in though a very impressive motor.

Unfortunately, some people here and elsewhere seem far too hung up on the headline figures of a diesel car. Sure, they make bags of torque, which in some instances is nice to have for sure. But the reality is, the power delivery in a diesel is just never going to be comparible to a petrol car like an M3. Even if the M department got their hands on the diesel engine, it would still be delivered in a short sudden burst over a low RPM range.

For real sports car driving that's not a lot of good. If all people care about is outside lane of motorways over taking it's fantastic.