dans_coupe

2005 330cd Oil?

Hiya guys

really simple question and im pretty sure i know the answer but im just going to check to be sure and for reccomendations..........

I drive a 2005 330cd m-sport (204) with under 50K on the clock so what oil should i be using? I think is 5/30 fully synthetic, is this right?

after i confirm that then can you reccomend what name to use? i used to use castrol magnatec in my petrol but i dont know if the diesel range has different leaders orrr?

Cheers people and i hope i posted this in the right place!

p.s to all 330d owners...... i havent noticed as yet but do these cars burn oil atall just so i know what to be expecting? CHEERS DAN

You should never have used Castrol magnatec even in your petrol as it's only semi-synthetic and you need fully synthetic.

Not sure what grade you should be using. Doesn't it say in your manual?

oh right, really? WHUPS!! well live and learn ay il consider myself lucky i didnt get my arse bitten haha cheers for the reply though mate has anyone got any ideas?

As for the manual i didnt think the manuals would give this sort of info but il have a check tomorrow, cheers

Dan

If it has a full BMW service history it runs on Castrol's long life oil

Castrol EDGE Turbo Diesel 0W-30

My 53 plate 330d doesn't use much oil between changes approximately 1 litre between the last two services which I managed to stretch out to 24,000 following the service computer I mainly do motorway miles at low engine speeds! Going to be approximately 19,000 / 20,000 this time and still have a little left in the 1 litre bottle. So a litre for 20,000 miles is not bad!

I have some friends with a 57 plate 2.5i X3 who've used 2 litres in the last 10,000 miles!!!

Alright fella?

You need to use BMW Long Life 04 specification oils. This is a forum sponsor so if you're a member you get an extra 10% discount:-

http://www.opieoils.co.uk/c-686-bmw-longlife-04.aspx

I used 5W-40 for my car. The one I used from the page above is the MOTUL 800 oil as mine is also remapped. Tbh though next time i'll be buying this Castrol Edge oil:-

http://www.opieoils.co.uk/p-719-castrol-ed...engine-oil.aspx

I would also replace the oil/air filters if you're going to do a mini service. These can also be bought from opie oils.

Hope that helps! ^_^

EDIT: No, im not on commission with the company - I just think the dude who runs it knows his stuff and i've always had excellent dealings with them. lol.

If you get stuck on deciding which oil to go for - ring or E-Mail them and ask for "Guy" - the 'guy' (sorry) knows his stuff! lol

Cheers guys been a big help as ive been told to use all kinds off different people!!! the one that im being told to use the most upto now is 'Castrol Edge turbo diesel 0w30 for modern high performance diesel engines' does this sound right to everyone in the know? also a few of you have used 5-30, whats the difference between the 0w-30 and 5w-30 and i presume it is the 0w-30 il need?

Thanks......hope that makes sense^^^^^^....... Danny

As far as im aware the difference between 5W-30 and 0W-30 is just simply their viscosity and their ability to work in colder temps. When I mean cold temps I mean SERIOUSLY cold temps (much colder than we get here). So no point of them I think..

Either way - speak to Guy AKA "Oilman" (his username on this forum) - he's like a walking oil encyclopaedia!! lol

HAHA i rang that company up before, not sure who i spoke to but they reccomended the 'Castrol Edge turbo diesel 0w30 for modern high performance diesel engines' and when i got off the phone bmw were also in touch with me reccomending the same so il be giving that one a go :wub: BMW mentioned the same spec oil but called 'SLX', from what i can gather EDGE took over hte name of SLX so it must be the same oil..........anywayyy....problem solved so cheers for the help!!!!

Danny

ive been using triple qx for the last three years,change it every 10 k or so,get it on offer and you can get 10 litres for under £30,then next service you will only need 1x5 litre,

21 hours ago, FilthyBadger said:

Thanks for the input on the discount. How do you get the 10% discount from opieoils when ordering online? Is there a code we use or something?

Thanks again

Hi

You use the code E46Z at the checkout for the discount.

Cheers

Tim

11 hours ago, FilthyBadger said:

Thank you, what's the best oil choice for e46 330cd ms port 6 speed, it's got 198k on it (if mileage makes a difference!)

thanks again!

just do changes regular,and any fully synth that meets LL01 will do,i use triple qx 10/5w-40 bit even a -30 would suffice,just do them every 10k or so,its cheap enough to do when the oil is what i said in earlier post

1 hour ago, rasa said:

just do changes regular,and any fully synth that meets LL01 will do,i use triple qx 10/5w-40 bit even a -30 would suffice,just do them every 10k or so,its cheap enough to do when the oil is what i said in earlier post

Should be using LL04 ;)

13 hours ago, FilthyBadger said:

Thank you, what's the best oil choice for e46 330cd ms port 6 speed, it's got 198k on it (if mileage makes a difference!)

thanks again!

Hi

It depends on the year of the car. Up to 04, you can use a BMW LL01 or LL04, after 04 it should be an LL04 oil, although if it is post-04 and doesn't have a DPF, you can use LL01. 

http://www.opieoils.co.uk/c-685-bmw-longlife-01.aspx
http://www.opieoils.co.uk/c-686-bmw-longlife-04.aspx

Go for any brand or price preference that you have with those.

Cheers

Tim

2 hours ago, rasa said:

This is something that I see on forums a lot, someone asks for the best oil and then gets recommended the cheapest option. The best and the cheapest are rarely the same thing. 

Oils can vary a lot, even though they say similar things on the label.

For example, there are three different types of synthetic basestocks, so there can be a big difference between the basic make up of oils, even though the labels essentially say the same thing.

http://www.opieoils.co.uk/pdfs/tech-articles/Basestock-categories-and-Descriptions.pdf

As you can see from that, oils labelled as synthetic can be mineral oil derived, proper genuine synthetics or ester based synthetics, all of which affect the price. Shell have thrown a spanner in the works with that classification as they now use a different method to produce the group 3 oils, which uses gas as the raw material and reduces the level of impurities in the finished product, so in theory the Shell group 3 basestock is pretty good stuff. Mobil have also improved their group 3 basestock and when someone tested the old group 4 Mobil 1 0w-40 against the new group 3 version, the group 3 was shown to be the better oil.

Another way of affecting the price of an oil is to alter the additive package. 

http://www.opieoils.co.uk/pdfs/tech-articles/Oil-Additive-Package.pdf

The additive pack is a very important part of the oil and can greatly affect the oils properties, but it can be reduced in quality or quantity to reduce the production costs. That can mean that the oil will not last as long or work as well.

Quality control affects the price and quality, the more samples are tested during production, the more it costs, but the more likely it is to be what it says on the label. Some cheap oils have been found to be well out of grade (one of the worst I've heard of was something that was supposed to be a 5w-40 was actually a 20w-40).

Paying for the name is one way of looking at it, the other way is reassurance due to a trusted brand. Yes, Castrol, Shell and Mobil can be expensive, but everyone knows those brands and very few people have ever had problems with them. Some of the smaller brands are less well known and people don't know how good their products will be. That's not to say they won't be fine, but paying an extra few quid for peace of mind can be worth it.

Actual manufacturer approvals can cost a lot of money and that adds to the price of an oil, so a lot of manufacturers sell oils as 'meets the requirements of XXXX' or 'Can be used where XXXX is specified'. You then have to trust the oil manufacturer that the oil is actually suitable for the application, rather than the oil being approved. Don't risk that with cars under warranty, pretty much all manufacturers will void a warranty if the wrong oil is used. Some dealerships are testing the oil before they look at engine issues now, as if the oil is incorrect, they may be able to get out of doing the work. There was also a case a little while ago where Triple QX 5w-30 and 5w-40 were claiming to meet specs that they didn't. http://www.ukla-vls.org.uk/news/vls-bulletin-february-2016-vls010124-vls010125/ Yes, they put it right, but the oil was not meeting the specs it claimed up until that point.

There is a reason why some oils cost more than others and it can be worth paying a bit more than for the basic option. I'm not saying every car needs £100 worth of oil for a service, but you can get things like the Shell Helix 5w-40 (LL01) and Fuchs GT1 Pro Flex 5w-30 (LL04) for under £25 from us with your forum discount and they are good, well proven oils.

Cheers

Tim

Edited by oilman

7 hours ago, momo said:

Should be using LL04 ;)

• LL01 in my bmw and it has same engine as op,and im saying it through experience of using it for over 3 years,never loses a drop,never smokes heavily and its remapped.smooth as silk still with 137k on the clock.

There are a lot of good oils for it. Castrol Edge 0w-30, Mobil ESP 5w-30, Millers XF/EE C3 5w-30, Fuchs GT1 Pro C3/Pro Flex, Shell ECT C3 5w-30 and Motul X-Clean 5w-30 are all good, well proven options that will not cause any problems

http://www.opieoils.co.uk/c-686-bmw-longlife-04-engine-oil.aspx

At the moment, the Fuchs Pro Flex is a very good option as it's under £25 with your club discount and a good, approved oil.

Cheers

Tim