stringy93

How to program your BMW remote key fobs to your car

Thought this might come in handy as a DIY for someone as some companys charge to do this!

- Sit in the car with all the doors shut and windows up with your key fobs (all your fobs need to be done at the same time)

- With one of your keys turn the ignition on then off and remove the key

- Press and hold the unlock botton and then press the lock button 3 times.

- Release all buttons and the locks will bounce up and down.

- Repeat this with the other key/keys (press and hold unlock and press lock 3 times, locks will bounce)

Note: Only switch your ignition on once, doing so again while programming will reset the process and you will have to start again.

Hope this helps :rolleyes:

Press and hold the Unlock Button............how long for? do you wait for a reaction from the car at all?

Good write up mate well done buddy.

Am trying to get more info in these forums and this is idea stuff.

:rolleyes:

Nice one!

One of my keys doesnt respond at all so will try this tonight i have the older key though???

Will let you know how i get on

Before you do, a word of warning that rings a bell..............

If you Fcuk up one key, then you fcuk em all up, you render them all useless....is that true?

Worth finding out........or is it if you program a key and c**k it up, then its useless?

Am sure I read something like this somewhere before.??

Dont mean to scare anyone but I seem to recall something like that.

Cheers, i wish id done a DIY when i fitted my m-bumpers :rolleyes:

Theres no set time steve, just make sure you press the unlock button first and keep it held down while you press the lock button 3 times. The only reaction from the car is when you release the buttons and the locks bounce up and down to confirm the key is coded.

Lets us know how you get on jamie, will be interesting to see if it works with other key types. Just make sure you do all your fobs at the same time, even the working ones.

Before you do, a word of warning that rings a bell..............

If you Fcuk up one key, then you fcuk em all up, you render them all useless....is that true?

Worth finding out........or is it if you program a key and c**k it up, then its useless?

Am sure I read something like this somewhere before.??

Dont mean to scare anyone but I seem to recall something like that.

I messed it up first time because i switched the ignition on for every key - canceling the previous key fob. Basically i could get only one key to work at a time. I went backwards and forwards programming each key and canceling the other one out. I must have programmed them both 5 or more times until i consulted a 'man on the inside' and eventually got it right - both work fine now. The key will always send out the signal, its just pairing it with the car so they work together.

hi people haveing just bought my car today 1 of the keys fobs dont work is it this that i need to do or do it just need to be recharged from being used

(am gussing it the spare and not been used in a while ) car is a 318 04 touring and ther key is similar to the 1 above

Sorry not checked this post for a while.... :)

Matt - Thats the key type, boot unlock, door lock and door unlock.

Jamie - Glad you got out in time for pod :(

Lazy1uk - Glad it worked for you

Psyxologos - Yes it can be used to re-program old keys if they have stopped working or to program new keys to work with your car

Lazy1uk - Glad it worked for you

so i am asi t now lets me spend a few quid (bloody expensive these posh car's)

real bliue carbon badges

dust caps

waiting to get ...angel eyes or hid light aswell :)

foam lance for me power washer lol

have seen some of the stuff you guys do the lengths you go to 5-6 hour's of washin wax clay toothbrush :(

thanks guys is all i can say

Great thread! I've bought a spare key from ebay for re-programming and a new blank key fob casing that i need to have cut. I've taken the electronics out of the old one and put it in the new casing...so far so good... I hope the frequency is right on the new spare (i think its 433....mhz) i didnt open the original to check what it was to avoid damaging it! ...I don't know if it is has any charge on it to do the re-programme. Guess i'll found out soon enough!

Thought I'd share the state of my current collection! First ket is the new casing waiting to be cut, 2nd the original, 3rd the donor key fob... Sad I know... but I've just bought my first E46 and I'm really loving the car and all that comes with it... Come to think of it I should introduce myself to the zone...

key_collection.jpg

Hey People;

Thought i'd post the results of my key tests.

It didn't work for me following the instructions above exactly. However, using then as a perfect guide i managed to figured it out (with some trial and error). It all Got kind of hairy at one point because nothing i tried worked. Anyway this the method that worked for me;

1. Sat in the car and I left the doors open as normal

2. I used a key that didn't work..( it did before is started playing about with this but technically it wasn't working)

3. Put the key in the ignition turned it until all of the lights came on but not the starter.

4. After about 3 seconds i took the key out of the ignition.

5. Held the key over my left shoulder (near the steering wheel didn't work for me)

6. Press and Hold the unlock button

7. now you have to press the lock button 3 times but each time you have to press and hold for a count of 1 then release.

8. finally release the unlock button and the locks should jump up and down to show its worked!

Second key!

i followed steps 5 - 8 straight after the locks jumped and hey presto 2 working remotes!! JOY!!! the locks will jump for each key that is done successfully.

I read somewhere that you have to wait 15 minutes before trying it again if your key stops working when it goes wrong. Apparently there's some sort of time lock!! - I didn't! I'm way to impatient the most i managed was 5 and i was back out again! Basically if you turn the ignition again it restarts the process... sense why you have to do all keys at the same time! I tried the whole process a few time in a row until it worked!

Hope this helps... Thanks again for the original post mate!

Lazy I'm no expert but from what i found out if you use the original key to start the process to re-programme the additional key you have to do the original key one at the same time (straight after the first key, as above) - otherwise the original key gets cancelled out - thats what happened to me the first time i tried so i had to go back and do it gain.

The problem that i have now is that no local locksmith with cut the blank key!! Anyway... hope this helps!

J B)

Thought this might come in handy as a DIY for someone as some companys charge to do this!

- Sit in the car with all the doors shut and windows up with your key fobs (all your fobs need to be done at the same time)

- With one of your keys turn the ignition on then off and remove the key

- Press and hold the unlock botton and then press the lock button 3 times.

- Release all buttons and the locks will bounce up and down.

- Repeat this with the other key/keys (press and hold unlock and press lock 3 times, locks will bounce)

Note: Only switch your ignition on once, doing so again while programming will reset the process and you will have to start again.

Hope this helps :)

I lost one of my keys and got another off of ebay. Can I use this method to reprogram both keys??

Thanks!!