simonlpearce

Cadwell Park - Evening Session

Spent the evening at Cadwell yesterday with Marty, Mike and Tim and what an awesome day!

I got there about 4.45pm which was lucky as i no longer have a driving license (it was stolen) so they needed to call the DVLA before they closed 4.45pm to confirm i am allowed to drive a car, i just managed to sort it in time. Mike was already there as was Tim and Marty casually rocked up about 5.05 just as the briefing began.

The briefing was just the usual track rules regarding overtaking and signalling then the use of flags and what they all mean. After the briefing we went out for a couple of sighting laps just to get our heads round the course, by the time we had done this it was about 6pm.

We then decided to go back out and do some proper laps but for some reason the E34 was feeling a little rough when she fired up. She ran all lumpy and when pressing the loaud pedal she it was like the it wasnt attached then all of a sudden the revs would fly up. It almost felt like she wasnt being supplied fuel or like their was the wrong mix of fuel and air.... Anyways we got out on the track after a few mins and she was fine.

First couple of laps we took it easy, get used to the corners and warm up the tyres, I came in after 3-4 laps as i had to drive home and i was worried about the car.

Second set she had a bit of a splutter but she was soon back to normal, only problem was that there were a LOT of faster cars on the track including, 3 Porkers, a million E30 M3's, a couple of E92 M3's, a new M5 and a whole host of others. Annoyingly it didnt give me Marty or Mike much time to spar and test each other out.

Luckily our last session was a little more fun as it was almost the last of the day. Marty took the lead with me in the middle and Mike close in my rear view, it was fairly clear that the E36's were a lot quicker on the straight but through the twistys well i was well impressed with how the E34 handled for its size and age, and easily kept up (obviously this was my superior driving skill) :( .

All in all a great day despite the 4hr journey there and 4 hour journey back, and luckily this time no injuries! :)

Hopefully Mike will be along soon with his video footage...

Spent the evening at Cadwell yesterday with Marty, Mike and Tim and what an awesome day!

I got there about 4.45pm which was lucky as i no longer have a driving license (it was stolen) so they needed to call the DVLA before they closed 4.45pm to confirm i am allowed to drive a car, i just managed to sort it in time. Mike was already there as was Tim and Marty casually rocked up about 5.05 just as the briefing began.

The briefing was just the usual track rules regarding overtaking and signalling then the use of flags and what they all mean. After the briefing we went out for a couple of sighting laps just to get our heads round the course, by the time we had done this it was about 6pm.

We then decided to go back out and do some proper laps but for some reason the E34 was feeling a little rough when she fired up. She ran all lumpy and when pressing the loaud pedal she it was like the it wasnt attached then all of a sudden the revs would fly up. It almost felt like she wasnt being supplied fuel or like their was the wrong mix of fuel and air.... Anyways we got out on the track after a few mins and she was fine.

First couple of laps we took it easy, get used to the corners and warm up the tyres, I came in after 3-4 laps as i had to drive home and i was worried about the car.

Second set she had a bit of a splutter but she was soon back to normal, only problem was that there were a LOT of faster cars on the track including, 3 Porkers, a million E30 M3's, a couple of E92 M3's, a new M5 and a whole host of others. Annoyingly it didnt give me Marty or Mike much time to spar and test each other out.

Luckily our last session was a little more fun as it was almost the last of the day. Marty took the lead with me in the middle and Mike close in my rear view, it was fairly clear that the E36's were a lot quicker on the straight but through the twistys well i was well impressed with how the E34 handled for its size and age, and easily kept up (obviously this was my superior driving skill) :D .

All in all a great day despite the 4hr journey there and 4 hour journey back, and luckily this time no injuries! :)

Hopefully Mike will be along soon with his video footage...

Hi mate... i wish i could say that the footage of the drive was brilliant.... well i suppose it was if you like watching me steering the car.... as thats all you can see! :( due to the bright sunshine... the light through the windscreen is too much for the camera to compensate for.... so, bit disappointing, but i have already rigged another mounting point so next time should be good... fingers crossed.

This was my first visit to Cadwell, and i must say i was very impressed on many levels.... firstly the venue... very picturesque and the circuit itself is excellent. The BMW car club was to its usual high standard, and the driving was courteous.

Thirdly i was very impressed with how the cars behaved. This was the first outing for the'slag' and i must say.. wow!....very happy. I couldn't believe just how composed the car was at speed and cornering, even when pushed to the limits, there were a few sideways moments, but never once were they a surprise, nor did they prove to be a problem... very controlable.

Pity there wasn't a bit more time in the day.... it seemed to pass very quickly, plus we were unlucky to have a couple of red flags which hindered things slightly.

The circuit is a really good mix of twisty turns and a couple of straights which saw speeds upwards of 110mph :P

All in all, a very enjoyable day and certainly looking forward to the next! :)

Really hoping that the cars may have been captured on circuit by the resident photographer.... we'll have to see

The only downside for me was enduring the 2 and a bit hour drive back home in a rock hard bucket seat! ouch! :P

Mike :)

What a crackin session, track conditions were perfect, car performed perfectly (with the exception of a little scrubbage of the new wider tyres. :() and always good to attend Nicks events as everything is well organised, and awesome fun. For £50 you really can't complain! where else can you have that much fun (legally :)) for £50!!!

Si's superior driving (brave / mental) did indeed keep him right on my bumper.

Tim and i were having a right old laugh watching you in the mirror, i think its great that the cars are pretty evenly matched actually, wouldn't be as much fun if one of us had an M to go flying round in. Hope Tim enjoyed your laps mate, you are more than welcome to come round again, was good to have someone to chat two while throwing it into those bends in front of the hut.

Looking forward to seeing the photos, will post some up once we have bought the CD.

Cracking day, really enjoyed it. Nice to meet up with Si and Marty and also to meet Mike.

Got a fair few laps as passenger in Martys car and absoloutely loved it. Was the first time around any track and it was awesome, although don't think I'd be taking the E46 around in a hurry as track slags get some serious abuse. :D Fair play to Si as he was on our tail all the time, and his car will look awesome when he gets the paint job finished.

Fortunately for me I'm not too far from Cadwell so didn't have to endure a long drive home, although it was a "spirited" drive home. :D

LOL.

Spirited drive on the way home... that is always the way, you just can't help yourself. :)

Even though i was towing mine on the trailer i still kept up with Mike for about the first 15 miles. :P PMSL

LOL.

Spirited drive on the way home... that is always the way, you just can't help yourself. :)

Even though i was towing mine on the trailer i still kept up with Mike for about the first 15 miles. :) PMSL

Yeah right.... whatever! :)

Was driving sensibly and abiding by the speed limits!

Mike :P

Still desperately waiting to see if there were any decent pics or vid taken.

I did find a clip on youtube last night which showed me and Si being overtaken by a pair of E30's on a mission..... but can't find it again now ... doh!

This one?

I could still see your brake lights dissapearing round corners on the A18!

Thats the one mate.. well spotted!

you were obviously mistaken with the brake lights it must have been someone else.... i was nearly home by then :P:)

Any news on the photos from nick?

Mike :)

Theres another clip knocking about as well from the same two, but with a camera on the front bumper.... footage was brill.

I think where mine was mounted, it was too dark in the car and toobright outside for it to compensate....

I have devised another mount now, will try it out over the weekend.

Mike :P