momo

Lost All Faith In Bmw's..

Hi all..

You may have seen from my other thread in the photos section that my rust on the rear wheel arches has returned.. AND that a hand carwash place lifted some lacquer from the bonnet with their pressure washer..

Well, just took it to a bodyshop over the road from where I work - they told me £150 for the bonnet.. Not too bad! However, he then pointed out to me that the front wings are rusting too! So, 2x new wings at £250 (I think, no idea yet) and respray the whole front end for £500. Thats £750 I wasn't planning on spending!

I just fit 2 brand spanking new tyres for £260 because of a stupid puncture last week..

Got my swirl flap blanks fitted at the weekend, a new fan belt tensioner, water pump and thermostat too. I have a new flexi disc for the prop shaft ready to go on too. All costing approx £500!

I could maybe take the car to BMW and tell them because they've done such a crap job with the rear of the car I want them to replace the front wings FOC but in all honesty - does anyone thinks they'll bite? Im thinking with the way my lucks going at the minute that'll be a big fat NO!

This car is SERIOUSLY turning into a money pit and im beginning to lose patience with it.. Its bad luck after bad luck with this car lately..

At the moment im seriously considering to sell the damn thing on a part ex (can't even be bothered to sell it privately at the moment..) and get something else!

Problem is, what do I get? All other cars (Audi, Merc) feel like crap when I drive them now.. Also if I DO sell it I lose the money I've just paid for the new bits i've fitted, the remap, the pro kit springs too (would be just as much to get them off the car as it would be to sell them..)

Sorry for the rant all but as you can tell im getting to the end of my tether with this car.. :o

What should I do?

i do know what you are saying Mate, owning a BMW does have its disadvantages. But the quality of the drive is the best thing, there aint many cars out there that offer what a Beemer does. In the last few months, for me it just feels like its one thing after another...so i have now come to terms with the fact if you have a nice car, you gotta pay your money. You cant live a Champagne lifestyle on Lemonade money! there you go my words of wisdom ha ha

I feel your pain mate, ive had nothing but troubles with mine the last few months too.

As you have done i replaced the "entire" coolant system except for the pipes, replaced both belt, replaced the DISA valve, replaced a busted rear camber arm which in turn meant i had to replace the handbrake cable and pads.

Now i need to do the front wishbones, ARB drop links and need 2 new tyres, not to mention the silly amount of stonechips on my front end.

Still i fell back in love the other day when i gave her a coat of HD so i cant complain too much.

Aaah, you're a true 'zoner now :o

feel your pain mate! Within the space of 6 months I had a huge bill for sorting my alternator, rad, expansion tank, water pump etc. Not to mention last year I got both front wings changed because of rust! But you gotta look at it another way, eventually with other cars you have to replace something on it. No car is ever perfect. I've had a good run for 2 years with it with no probs and its only been recently its had problems. But since fixed so far so good! Don't give up on it straight away, you never know you might end up with a few years trouble free motoring.

Lol, good to hear some advice from enthusiasts! Although may not be the most impartial advice! :P

Just spoken to my bro who gave me a virtual slap across the face! lol. I need to remember that I have time to do these bits.. They don't need doing straight away!

I think i'll push BMW for the wings.. See if they bite or not.. Fingers crossed (cross yours for me too! lol) they accept it and get them all done for me and I just have to pay for the bonnet!

When I picked up the car from BMW last year I DID say the front passenger wing was rusting. He told me he'd put it through for me but I didn't hear anything.. Yes I didn't chase but now its proved to be correct - the wings buggered! Hopefully they can say "yes, our fault for not putting it through.. blah blah.." Will take a bit of pushing them though methinks!

Get the other bits done that are outstanding then hopefully all should be good from there..

Then sell the bugger and get an Audi!! :P lol (Just kiddin ;) )

Yep these things sometimes do get on top of you.

By the sounds of things we all seem to spend alot on our cars.

But i do agree, if you have a nice car then the expensive up keep is part of the bargain. ;)

And thats what i got told off my boyfriend before i got my car (his bills put mine to shame so i dont mind LOL)

Since i bought my car last july, i have had new discs and pads, new rear shockers, and a new rear light.

My exhaust is now blowing so i am trying to work out what to get, but do doubt that wont be cheap, and i also want front seats looking at, oh and some new tyres.

I wouldnt mind as much but i didnt get to drive it for nearly 3 months of the 10months that i have had the car LOL

Dont get me wrong i am not moaning, i new to start having a car fund as soon as i got the car, as all the parts are alot more expensive than my old polo's hehehe.

Im sure once you are all sorted you will fall back in love with your car :P

I was considering one of them before I got my car Rob - problem is they understeer like you have a rhino duck taped onto the front of the car! VERY poor handling..

I know what you're all saying - I need to show more dedication! ;)

I think i've calmed down a little now since this afternoon.. Just remembering what my bro told me.. (deep breath) :P

Either way I guess the E90 is on hold for now! lol

Actually - I blame you guys for planting the idea of a "perfect BMW" into my head! You're all bad influences! ;)

I was considering one of them before I got my car Rob - problem is they understeer like you have a rhino duck taped onto the front of the car! VERY poor handling..

I know what you're all saying - I need to show more dedication! :P

I think i've calmed down a little now since this afternoon.. Just remembering what my bro told me.. (deep breath) :P

Either way I guess the E90 is on hold for now! lol

It seems like its all going wrong mate but the wings are not a vital at the moment are they...... they can wait until ya have more money!!!!! Just get the other bits sorted (try and blag the wings, dont ask dont get and all that) and then see how ya finances are in a couple of months. Hopefully its not going to get worse during the summer providing we have good weather. Look at it this way mate, you are driving one of the best motors in the world (if not the best) and are one of the chosen few...... Its worth having some patience with it in the long run ;)

As already said, no cars are perfect!

Mercedes? Dont buy one, balls of scrap, the top brass decided in the mid 90's they were over engineering their cars so decided to cut corners and started making very expencive buckets

Audi? My borther Conor had one, never really gave any problems bar the ignition coils, but he recently bought a 330ci (be it a slow one) and he admits its the far far better car

Saab? Are you a dentist or architect? Or do you want to buy a Vectra called a 9-3?

Lexus? Having driven IS220d's & IS250's I can honestly say the BMW 3 Series is the MUCH better car

Keep what you've got mate, and bare with it

Just got back from lunch - overtook a car going 30mph in 4th gear. 30-50mph in 4th gear and bye bye slow driver! :)

Im in love again! lol :lol:

You go 30 MPH in 4th gear, are you a taxi driver by any chance? :lol:

I only just get out of first by 30 and stay in second all the way up to around 55-60mph :)

I go 30mph in 5th. You would too if you drove in London. The ride would be too jerky if you stayed in 2nd all the time...

Lol yeah i guess so, there isnt any streets long enough in london to use the full rev range in 2nd.

Oh aye! The torque on these things are awesome! I have a little rule about which gear im in..

Up to 10mph 1st/2nd gear

Up to 20mph 2nd/3rd gear

Up to 30mph 3rd/4th/5th gear

Then stay in 5th gear up to 120mph! :lol:

Strangely though the car feels a little more responsive now i've had the swirly flaps removed! Dunno if its a placebo effect or anything..

Ok, beginning to lose faith again.. Not in the car (well, a little but nothing major) but BMW in general!

As you may know, the rust on the rear arches has come back.. Went down to the local BMW dealership today - all I can say is Effin bar-stewards!! :)

They've told me that the 3year warranty on the repair itself DOESN'T exist! Problem is, I was only told at the time that the warranty exists - it wasn't written anywhere..

And when I reported the front wing problem to them when I picked up the car they never put it through to BMW UK. All they can do is see if there was a record for it - if there isn't, tough s*** basically!

So now it looks like i'm going to have to pay for repair of the rear arches myself AND the front wings! :D

Just checked an invoice I got for some work I paid for myself - it says on that:-

"We will replace or repair any area found to be defective by reason of faulty workmanship, parts or materials, PROVIDING THAT:

(I) The vehicle shall not have travelled more than 6000 miles or 6months has expired from the date of completion of repairs, which event occurs first."

Thats basically a nice way of saying "our work is crap, we know it, we're not covering it unless you spot it in 6months!". It also confirms that NOBODY there knows what they're talking about and they all seem to be lying in one way or another.. When I picked the car up in August last year the guy said to me all work we do carries a 3year warranty in itself! Now the guy at the bodyshop today said to me "BMW's only have 3year warranties on rust, im surprised this wasn't kicked back last year!"

What a tw*t!! I've just called BMW UK to file a complaint against them.. They clarified things a little for me - BMW DOES have a 6year anti-corrosion warranty so that was a lie.. BUT because its now out of the warranty period and the fact they don't have the front wings on record - there's nothing more they can do.. Not nice but fair enough..

So now im going to have to complain directly to the dealership manager and tbh I think we all know how thats going to go.. Its entirely up to them if they're going to re-do the rear's out of "good will" and also the fronts too! Problem is, I have no proof of the front side being reported.. All I have is my word against theirs..

I think in the end of this i'll be lucky to get them to re-do the rear arches! :o

Im not going to name the garage in this as I know Sam won't like it and I don't want this forum to get in trouble - but my god please, for your own sake..

This is turning into a serious blummin nightmare!

Absolutely fuming now! :D

buy an m3 mate lol

M3's have rusty wing problems too (or so I've been told) :D

There's been another twist in the story now since my last post but I'll save that for another time now.. Lol

Could you not buy two front wings and have BMW spray them for free? I would be leaning that way, as i doubt they will GIVE you the wings. As every paint job will have 12 months guarantee, but do something about it now :lol:

The way they're talking about it at the moment mate (and the fact I have no proof I reported the front wings when I picked the car up) im almost 99% sure they won't cover them at all! I've booked the car in at a mates bodyshop to get the front wings done for now..

In the meantime we'll see what BMW say about the rear wings. If they dont play ball at all i'll get them done myself properly this time at my mates bodyshop..

You can't let them get out of the rear arches. They CLEARLY didn't do their job properly the first time! Threaten trading standards and maybe a groupe letter to Watchdog about it. The amount of rusty arches going about + swirl flaps + subframe issues would be bloody bad press for them!!

Hope you get it sorted. Don't forget to tell us the other twist in the story!

Thats a good idea mate! Threaten them with trading standards! :lol:

Tbh mate im not really peeved off at BMW anymore - its the franchise dealership and the way they've handled this. Tbh though other departments like service and parts at this dealership is spot on! I think its just because I unfortunately spoke to a complete w*nker who didn't know what he was on about.. lol

The twist - well, you know like they said the work they did ISN'T covered by a 3year warranty?

I triple checked a repair certificate from them (not sure why I missed this the 1st 2 times, lol) stating that all work carried out on this job is covered by a 3 year warranty! However the problem with this is the certificate I have has a job reference for the A-Pillar work I had done which I paid for myself. So im not 100% sure if the bodyshop will try to use this to get out of it..

HOWEVER (and here's the twist, :lol: ) my brother had 1 of his arches done around the same time under the same 6-year anti-corrosion warranty on his 320d. He has the EXACT same certificate stating that all work carried out is covered under a 3 year extended warranty! So apparently his arch repair is covered by this 3year warranty.

So, if they try to say my certificate is only for the A-Pillar work I had done then I can ask them why my brothers car has a 3year warranty for the same rear arch work when mine apparently doesn't!

Either way, this looks like its going to get VERY messy.. So not looking forward to going back and forth with them..

Its been a while nice to see I'm not the only one to have problems however you have start think these cars are getting older now so parts gonna fail.......how do you think they make you buy new cars?????