Panzer007

Has Anyone Actually Dyed Their Interior?

Hi everyone,

I would just like to know if anyone has actually done this on this side of the pond? I have a full black interior and have had no issues at all in the 8 years I've had the car until I saw this (and similar threads)....... :rolleyes:

post-3480-1275840757_thumb.jpg

http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthread.ph...670&page=26

It's bugging me to the point that I've got confirmation of the kit at £140 (ish) from the US and will probably do it about August time. Not really interested in swopping door cards and seats for another colour as it's pretty limited and theres not a great deal out there.

When considering that other DIY's I've done thanks to some of you recently I thought were nasty but actually were easy:

Umnitza Predator Orion V2's with fade - done

Parrot Bluetooth, full operation - done

Eibach Springs front and rear - done

Front wishbones and rear bushes - done

EGR valve - done

Crankcase breather - done

Pads and discs and painted calipers with Goodridge lines - done

Basically, I reckon it's a DIY which is fairly straight forward...whats the worse that can happen....................? Ok, if that happens I'll buy a new interior and sell mine as 'best viewed with LSD' or something like that.

:P

post-3480-1275840829_thumb.jpg

Bizzare as it sounds but those seats were black to start with!

I did pose the question myself to the chap at Leatherique and he said it was no problem. I think if you look at any leather dye website with a Video clip they actually demonstrate changing colours from either end of the spectrum. Apparently though in the US, Imola Red cannot be done for various reasons? :rolleyes:

yes ure right, i flicked thro that 26 page monster thread and his seats started black and he dyed them to cinnamon, and they cmae out bloody good, looks like a lot of effort tho, but worth it i guess. yea but it was mentioned that the imola dye is weak due to the main red dye used being banned by the us government, so they use a weaker dye that doesnt cover aswell.

Phew, I thought this was going to 'dye a death' ha ha couldn't help that.

:rolleyes:

Anyway, I'm away for a week so won't be on here but it's on my 'to do' list for definate. Having just gone back out to stare into the black abyss of leather interior, it's pretty humbling to think of the work that's got to go in but as some of you have said already, it should be worth it. :P

The thing is, a lot of his work was changing the rest of the interior too, if you were just to dye the leather parts you could do it in half the time.

Would still take a month though I bet, weekend to prep, then 3 more weekends to dye with drying times

Hiya Jorge,

I reckon you might be right mate, I was thinking of the stages and I think the door cards could be a good weekend.

The front seats would be next followed by the rears. I intend to start it in August when I will have a company car for a while as part of a job which means I won't be rushing to get it done.

Looking at the OP thread, he did a lot of prep which obviously paid off. I'm almost at the vomitting stage with anticipation on how it will look if all go's well.

been planning this for mine - cream leather going red this winter.

i've got a prosche re-trimmer doing mine though cos i'll only c**k it up

just make sure the leather is mint first or repaired as any cracks etc will highlight badly i'm told

Thats Epic, I love that thread, the guy has some right skill and determination there! lol looks really well too, I'd like to see how it holds up though to daily wear and tear etc.

I've managed to find a WiFi hotspot!

I have just got to do this. When I start it, if any anyone wants to pop over and help/look/laugh they will be more than welcome B)

It is a lot of work and I am still having doubts but they are being overtaken by the thought of a new look interior. By chance does anyone know of a thread that shows how to strip down the seats?

Cheers

Hi all,

Well I've ordered the kit and it should be here in a couple of weeks so I expect post a few pictures as I get on with it. I still look at the real black leather interior and wonder but having had the car for 8 years a change will do me good.......I hope! :rolleyes:

What colour did you go for?

Hi Jorge,

Cinnamon, same as the OP on other forum. I did have a look at Imola Red from other sources but thought better of it. This one is proven and has been applied to black leatherique seats with success, mine are true leather throughout and the outcome should be better I hope. He used 4 coats for that finish so fingers crossed.

I honestly looked for inspiration elsewhere with colour schemes but still came back to the Cinnamon, door cards will be first on the list, Ill keep you posted :rolleyes:

Oh sweet, I want to do mine the same. Take loads of pics

Will do mate, most of the work is covered by two individuals on other threads but I'll put one together without random pictures of what I ate for lunch or what the weather's like outside.

By all means drop me a line and take a ride over one weekend when I start it, stop for a brew and help out if you want :rolleyes:

Hi there,

The kit I have bought is enough for a Bentley interior full colour re-dye! The OP on the 'Fanatics' thread had the kit down from this and still had loads left over. I asked for more as I don't intend on doing this again. The key to this being a success is taking time in the prep which I intend to do. I am also banking ^_^ on a good English summer to assist with the drying process.

I thought about door cards only again and for a while convinced myself that was enough but looking at the car every day I have finally decided to do the seats aswell. The sticking point was the seat removal and seperating the seat from the backrest to achieve full coverage but I can do that now so no drama's. The only bit that's bothering me is how to take the rear panel off from the back of the upper part of the chair. I can see how to do it but it's also putting it back on again. Never mind, I'm sure it'll be fine :)

The only bit that's bothering me is how to take the rear panel off from the back of the upper part of the chair. I can see how to do it but it's also putting it back on again. Never mind, I'm sure it'll be fine

details on this please - i had to lose the map holds when i chnaged over cos i couldn't work this out!!!