Danw8986

Scuffmaster Leather Repair

After receving my scuff master kit from john on here i started to do a little research into how to get the best results and couldnt find any DIYs - so thought I'd do a quick write up combining all the info ive found and any thing little tecniques ive picked up when doing mine, here goes ....

I ordered my Liquid Leather Scuff Master treatment kit from john on here the kit contanes :

1 x bottle of premixed dye, 1 x light toner, 1 x dark toner, 1 x gloss enhancer and 2 x sponge applicators

In addition to the supplied kit you might also want to consider the following:

Rubber/latex gloves (if it can dye leather I'm pretty sure it can dye skin! lol!!)

Small artist paintbrush or cocktail stick (for application of neat dye)

Cotton cloths/rags

Methylated spirits

Small plastic bowl

Hair Dryer (to speed up drying procceses)

Step 1:

Hoover your interior and seats

Step 2:

Clean all of your leather interior thoroughly with gliptone leather cleaner or similar, you can use a small nail brush or old toothbrush to agitate the cleaner on stubborn areas and then make sure you clean off all the residue and leave to dry.

Step 3:

Once dry - wipe down the seats/interior with a mild solvent like very diluted methylated spirits, wash of with clean water and dry.

Step 4:

Take your pre mixed Scuff Master dye and apply neat to a small crack/scuff with your cocktail stick/brush and wait for it to dry. Once dry inspect to see how accurate colour match is and add toner to adjust accordingly. Once you are happy with the colour match proceed to paint in the remaining cracks

Step 5:

Leave the dye to dry for around 1 minute then wipe off with a damp cloth (work along the direction of the cracks/scuff) and repeat Step 4 if necessary. Once you are happy all of the scuffs/cracks have been dyed then move onto Step 6.

Step 6:

Prepare a colour wash for the treated seat - mix around 80% dye with 20% water and apply this over the seat. Again let this dry and then rub down with a damp cloth. when happy with the match/balance of the colour at this stage mix a final colour wash of the same 4 parts dye to 1 part watee apply the colour wash and leave to dry (24 hours).

Step 7:

Take the Gliptone Leather Conditioner (or other conditioner of your choice) and work this into your leather until it is completely absorbed. The aim here is to apply an even coat and make sure you work the conditioner completely into the leather. Areas which are particularly dry may require repeated application - just be patient and make sure it is worked in properly.

Step 8:

sit back, poor yourself a beer and admire your work, take pictures and post up here

Before:

648cbc4d.jpg

d7822c58.jpg

After:

acb348ea.jpg

f33ef721.jpg

full seats after dye and condition:

0d9366a1.jpg

924783c6.jpg

the seats arnt actually shinny as it looks in the photo im not sure why they look it

unfortunately my phone decided to break half way thru doing this diy so i only habve pictures of before and after but if any one is about to follow this diy i would be greatfull if you could take pictures to ediit in

Big thank-you to john at bespoke leathering for the kit it really is great stuff the picture dont do it justice

Hi mate,

Can you send over ther contact details for John please

Cheers Charlie

Hiya Dan

Your seats are looking good.

I need to do this to my car seats too.

Was the kit expensive?

i have had a quote from someone who can come and do the leather repair for me for £90, but just had to pay out for some new tyres so was thinking of saving some money ;)

but it sounds a little complicated, knowing my look i would get it wrong LOL :)

Cheers

Amanda

sorry i havent been on this thread in a while all john will sort you out with a pretty perfect color match, hes on here under the name bespoke leathering, the kits are £40 but you get a huge discount for beeing a member on here something lke 40% iirc

Interested in doing the same repair. Where can I find contact details for John to discuss Scuffmaster kits.

Also, does he only fo BMWs?

please just read the thread ive said already. i believe he does most cars

To Add on to Dans post here is my work.

@Dan : Some of this is taken from yours to save me time so I just edited some as the way i did it. I originally posted in my Irish website and have justb pasted it here. You guys get the idea :P

Hi all

I thought I would detail my account of refurbing the leather seats in my E46. I was over on the "Zone" and got talking to John in Bespoke leather and decided to buy a scuff master kit from him. I did a search here but didnt find anything relating to the refurb of leather seats so it was a good opportunity to do my first DIY;) Let me assure you that the pictures really dont do it justice. I was amazed by the results and would recommend it to anyone. The car also smells like brand new leather:) :)

65 ml Kit £32 delivered through E46zone

kit contains :

1 x Liquid leather cleaner

1x Liquid leather conditioner

1 x bottle of premixed dye

1 x light toner

1 x dark toner

1 x gloss enhancer

2 x sponge applicators

In addition to the supplied kit you might also want to consider the following:

Rubber/latex gloves

Small artist paintbrush

Cotton cloths/rags

Small plastic tray

img0630n.jpg

Step 1:

Hoover your interior and seats

Step 2:

Clean all of your leather interior thoroughly with the gliptone leather cleaner. You can use a soft nail brush to agitate the cleaner on stubborn areas and then make sure you clean off all the residue and leave to dry.

Step 3:

Once dry - wipe down the seats/interior with a mild solvent like very diluted methylated spirits, wash of with clean water and dry.

Step 4:

Take your pre mixed Scuff Master dye and apply neat to a small crack/scuff with your brush and wait for it to dry. Once dry inspect to see how accurate colour match is and add toner to adjust accordingly. I did not need to use any of the toner as it was a perfect match. Once you are happy with the colour match proceed to paint in the remaining cracks.

Step 5:

Leave the dye to dry for around 1 minute then wipe off with a damp cloth (work along the direction of the cracks/scuff) and repeat Step 4 if necessary. Once you are happy all of the scuffs/cracks have been dyed then move onto Step 6. Remember not to get too far ahead of yourself as you have 1 minute roughly to get back to the original area you started with. If you go too far covering certain areas the dye can dry in leaving a stained patch if you know what I mean. Slowly Slowly catch a monkey;) When the seat is finished let it dry completely before moving to step 6. A hairdryer can speed up the process but I preferred to take my time and go for a brew:D

Step 6:

Prepare a colour wash for the treated seat - mix around 4 parts dye with 1 part water and apply this over the seat. Essentially you are washing the seat with the dye but you start to notice that the seat is starting to look extremely fresh which is a good sign. Dont forget to wash the dye into the headrest and back of the seats. Again let this almost dry and then rub down with a damp cloth. When happy with the match/balance of the colour at this stage mix a final colour wash of the same 4 parts dye to 1 part water apply the colour wash and leave to dry (24 hours) Slowly Slowly catch.....................:D

Step 7:

Take the Gliptone Leather Conditioner and work this into your leather until it is completely absorbed. The aim here is to apply an even coat and make sure you work the conditioner completely into the leather. Areas which are particularly dry may require repeated application - just be patient and make sure it is worked in properly.

Results

Before Drivers Seat

img0607c.jpg

Drivers seat After

img0622l.jpg

Side Bolster before

img0608o.jpg

Side Bolster After

img0623d.jpg

Front Side Before

img0612y.jpg

Front Side After

img0625n.jpg

Passenger Side Bolster Before

img0609q.jpg

Passenger Side Bolster After

img0619uy.jpg

Random Afters 3

img0629gx.jpg

Ok well thats it. Hope you guys find it helpful and if anyone is unsure about anything just bang me a PM.

Warren

P.S. That took me ages to do. I'm taking a break from the DIY section for a while:D :cool: