paulfoley30

Just A Little Something To Whet Your Appitites

My take on Dynavin: I recently did an OEM Sat Nav retrofit but soon after the Dynavin started getting acceptable reviews and it made me regret the install a bit. The OEM setup is good with the new maps and the necessary hacks for speed cameras etc but it is no TomTom by any means. Well, my regrets went all out the window when visiting a friend in the US who has one in his car. Don't get me wrong, it works and the sound is a bit better than the OEM setup but every time you press a button you will be thinking "China". I prefer to think "Germany".

So, that's my wallet saved for now. :-)

G

So, to recap:-

Dynavin has FAR better SatNav (TomTom, nDrive, iGo 8.3 in HD), better audio quality, dramatically more functionality (bluetooth, iPod, reverse camera etc) AND it's far cheaper.

BUT, because the buttons are a little "clicky" you're glad you went OEM NAV.

Cool, glad that's sorted. ;)

So, to recap:-

Dynavin has FAR better SatNav (TomTom, nDrive, iGo 8.3 in HD), better audio quality, dramatically more functionality (bluetooth, iPod, reverse camera etc) AND it's far cheaper.

BUT, because the buttons are a little "clicky" you're glad you went OEM NAV.

Cool, glad that's sorted. ;)

To be fair, he said he only thinks it's a little better than the oem, not a lot. So I can understand the percieved quality playing a bigger factor, as well the price, when the gap in functionality is not huge. It's not unreasonable to want the feel of you car to be consistent in the cabin, and I can understand how a slightly cheaper piece of equipment could put some people off.

A lot of the features are not needed by people, such as bluetooth, reverse camera etc, so oem may be ok for them...everyone has their personal preference and priorities, so no need to start rolling your eyes at people.

Come time to sell he'll probably get a better price for the car with OEM Nav. If average Joe goes to look at a car with a dynavin he'll probably think 'whats this chinese ebay tat he's fitted to his car' lol

I genuinely don't believe that Average Joe will spot the difference between the current Dynavin and OEM.

Only enthusiasts will really know.

The Dynavin now looks high quality and very "stock" the menus are very nicely re-worked and attractive.

I'm not convinced that some on here have experienced the OEM Nav software in person.

It's a ten year old system and it really shows. It's un-intuative, clunky, slow, the maps are irregularly updated and even then are often out of date and adding Speed Camera POIs is a nightmare.

Compared with any of the leading Nav programs available (all of which run on the Dynavin) OEM Nav is very badly lacking.

And of course apart from that there's BlueTooth, Reverse Cam, iPod dock, playback of virtually ANY music or video file format. All of which nobody is interested in, allegedly.

I've said it before and I'll say it again, THE reason the used price of OEM Nav components is falling through the floor, is people are taking them OUT and fitting Dynavin.

The demand for the 5m extension cable for Dynavin installation into a Nav equipped car proves this, look on other forums for people who have done this and by and large are delighted by the upgrade.