vikz

Winter Tyres

bit late rejoining post,

I bought BMW on looks and performance, many of us have sacrificed function over form.

Same goes for winter - although I would love to have better grip in winter, whether the alloys look nice or not is a big part of it for me.

Style 44s seem the obvious choice price wise but they look so mundane.

It says you're in Stanmore. It's not exactly the highlands of Scotland. Why are you even bothering with winter wheels??

I have to drive around the country 3-4 times a month for events my company holds.

Don't want to risk tardiness or absence due to BMW - don't think the boss will see it as valid excuse lol

Your boss won't see it as a valid excuse if you get stuck in the snow because you needed your winter wheels to look good so they didn't quite perform as well as your competitor who had an Audi and a Quattro system.

It seems to me like you're using winter tyres as a justification for buying yourself some nice new wheels because really it has nothing to do with winter and everything to do with you wanting some different wheels for your car :thumbup:

Your spot on!

Ideally I want to get winter tyres so thought I would get alloys to wrap them around.

If Im getting alloys was hoping to get a visually appealing set, but it is looking like a far cry atm.

Have I missed something?

Get the winter tyres put on the wheels you have now - I'm assuming they aren't 19s. In the summer, buy some new wheels with all season tyres and take the old ones with winters off, put them somewhere safe and put the new ones on!

Problem solved?

I have 19 inch CSL reps on atm

They are 9.5j and 8.5j

With the rears being et27 offset

not really 'ideal' for winter tyres as I found out earlier on in this thread (a set of 19" winter tyres cost more than some e46s)

just buy a cheap hatchback and a set of worn nobbly 14" or 15" rally tyres.. probably cheaper than a set of winter tyres for big wheels lol

simples :)

guna put some nobblys on my proton rally car and use that in the snow, should be excellent :)

Edited by Rick.

I have to wait 1 more year before I can drive my mums X5 third party.

my dads CL500 i fear is also quite useless in the snow/ice

As you can tell I live with parents and still use my car to impress and pick up girls who dont have cars LOL

Edited by Shabaza

I have to wait 1 more year before I can drive my mums X5 third party.

my dads CL500 i fear is also quite useless in the snow/ice

As you can tell I live with parents and still use my car to impress and pick up girls who dont have cars LOL

what do you do all day? as where i live school doesnt finish till 15.35.

Edited by Rick.

Alot of graduates my age are still finding it difficult to get a job!

(graduates is code for lazy C***S)

so they can't afford cars

Edited by Shabaza

Word of advice from someone older than you (me) is that if a girl is only with you because of your car she's an expensive waste of money and time. Also I'm sure a girl generally isn't going to care what your wheels look like if she's impressed that you have a car even though you're unemployed and living with your parents.

Edited by mit

LOL thanks for your concern and advice Mit, I'm not unemployed I've been employed in some form or other since I was 16.

The picking up girls comment was intended for humour - evidently its hard create a sarcastic tone in text.

I picked myself up some part worn continental winter contact tyres off ebay. All 5mm+ pressure tested etc for £140 delivered. Been on the car for 1 month, seem to be pretty good in this cold/rainy weather we are having. Much grippier than the eagle f1's i have got on my summer wheels. I still need to try them out in the snow though.

You want a block pattern on winter tyres so the falkens will be the better bet of the 2 you posted. You might find that the Vredestains tramline a fair amount.

Edited by Nick330ci

I have 19 inch CSL reps on atm

They are 9.5j and 8.5j

With the rears being et27 offset

not really 'ideal' for winter tyres as I found out earlier on in this thread (a set of 19" winter tyres cost more than some e46s)

1 alloy was cracked and the tyres were borderline I traded it in and paid £300 more for my set which also came with brand new Falken 452 tyres all round

OK then, new plan. Sell your CSLs, buy some OEM MV1/MV2s (or smaller) with winter tyres. Put remaining money in the bank (depending on condition of everything obv.). Come summer, buy the wheels you want with some good tyres and all is sorted!

In employment and still living at home?

Cushy.

That's the only way I could afford to save the downpayment on my flat and buy my 325Ci. Now I'm paying half what my mates are paying in rent on repayments and I'm gaining a little bit of my flat each time. It's the way forward! ;)

As above I bought 2 pairs of good used winter tyres off eBay for my winter alloys.

The fronts are Vredestein Wintrac Xtreme's as per one of your links, the rears are Michelin Pilot Alpin PA3's, both get great reviews (I researched before buying) and both performed well last winter, although we had less snow than the previous couple of years, but I never got stuck

They do work well in normal cold wet conditions though, I kept mine on until Easter and going back to the standard 18's you could feel the difference in the wet

Edited by Rich_D

Living at home until mid 20s is the asian way!

Infact my parents would be offended if I left unless strictly necessary (marriage/job requirement).

I have to say its pretty cushty :thumbsup: no bills or real financial commitments to worry about.