Jorge-

Wheel Weights

Just browsing around the Felgen-Katalog BMW-Treff, and a few things are surprising me.

Firstly,

CSL wheels are no lighter than M3 wheels. At 12.62kg front and 13.79kg rear, vs 12.62kg and 13.26kg. Bizarre how the top of the range sport / supercar beater has heavier wheels than a standard M.

Also, everyone on here says that Clubsport wheels weigh so much, anyone compared the weights to MV1s and MV2s?

Staggered 18" clubsports - 11.23kg/11.30kg

Staggered MV1s - 10.27kg/11.78kg

Staggered MV2s - 11.23kg/11.93kg

So in actual fact the rear CS wheels are lighter than others! MV3 and MV4s both weigh more also.

The newest M wheels are the heaviest out of the M cars too, both over 13kg. Whilst all their so called 'Performance' extra alloys all weigh in over 12kg too.

Probably boring to most people, but intriged me.

Not boring to me, but are these combined wheel/tyre weights? If not the figures are pretty useless!

Quiet day today Jorge?

Thinking about it, same size wheels of the same metal, must have the same strength properties regardless of spokes ie lots of thin spokes = less but thicker spokes.

So they would weigh the same really unless you changed the metals.

Bizarre how the top of the range sport / supercar beater has heavier wheels than a standard M.

Supercar beater ? :lol:

There's no refurbing them either if you hit a curb ^^^, and at £17k i wouldnt fancy buying a new one!!!

I think if someoe has paid this much for a set of wheels , they've obviously got cash to burn & it wouldn't bother them :D

Tyre weights are pointless, all rims I mentioned are staggered 18s at 8 and 8.5J, on which all tyres fitted would be the same.

As a rim weight though, I am amazed at how heavy they are, they could use different materials etc. I know they are 15s, but my old OZs were 5.4kg a wheel. Even the 17" version weighed in at 8-9kg.

Tyre weights are pointless, all rims I mentioned are staggered 18s at 8 and 8.5J, on which all tyres fitted would be the same.

As a rim weight though, I am amazed at how heavy they are, they could use different materials etc. I know they are 15s, but my old OZs were 5.4kg a wheel. Even the 17" version weighed in at 8-9kg.

Probably down to cost Jorge. Yeah they can use different materials make it lighter but then it gets passed on to the consumer. Most people that would have bought the car with those wheels wouldn't give a monkeys about the wheel weight as long as they can stand the usual day to day running.

I meant more along the CSL.

Carbon wings, roof, boot, interior, recaros, no CD player.. yeah great loads of weight saving.

When removing unsprung weight is so much better, I thought they would have opted for a lighter choice of wheel.

And how people on here 'say' the CS wheels are dead heavy, when in actual fact they are no heavier.

I meant more along the CSL.

Carbon wings, roof, boot, interior, recaros, no CD player.. yeah great loads of weight saving.

When removing unsprung weight is so much better, I thought they would have opted for a lighter choice of wheel.

And how people on here 'say' the CS wheels are dead heavy, when in actual fact they are no heavier.

ahh see what you mean. that is suprising specially as BBS made those wheels and they are suppose to be a decent manufacturer.

I wonder if the CSL wheels are heavier as they are rated for higher speeds or something? Or whether it's just random and they don't care, or maybe the wheel, tyre and disc combo on the CSL is less than the standard M3?

Dunno really! :lol:

VMRs and Linear Corse -

VMR CSL Rep - 19x8.5 is 24.75lbs and 19x9.5 is 25.25lbs

Which in the UK is 11.2kg / 11.45kg

Linears are 24.2lb (not sure if thats F or R) but slightly lighter. Wonder what Reevas weigh in at

1 hour ago, lukaskalet@gmail.com said:

Mv1 and mv2 are heavy because they have a thicker/heavier tyre bead sitting area. That's to keep the runflats in place with no air in.

Can't tell if spammer or not, but MV1 and MV2 never came with runflats.. No E46 did.

I’ve had a mobile tyre fitter almost refuse to swap a tyre on an MV1 as he believed it should be a run flat. He wasn’t the brightest bloke I’ve ever met, but I feel it’s a common misconception for some reason. Did other BMW models of a similar vintage start introducing them around this time, the Z3/4 perhaps? 

Edited by incredirog

Don't think so? MV1s were up to 2003/2004 when the E46 was facelifted.

The Z4 came out in 2003 I think? I think they came on run flats but pretty sure the Z3 didn't.

I would think that they're just getting confused between models and years. At the end of the day even if the car came with run flats, it's up to me what I fit. It's a very popular "upgrade" to remove the run flats on the mid-00s BMW's and fit regular tyres because the suspension wasn't designed to accommodate them so the ride wasn't very nice. Lots of people fit regular tyres and bought a spare wheel. Done.

If that mobile tyre fitter argued otherwise i'd tell him where to go!

On 21/02/2021 at 09:28, momo said:

If that mobile tyre fitter argued otherwise i'd tell him where to go!

Exactly! It's your car and YOU have the choice of which tyres you want fitted. Even if the E46 came with RFs (it didn't), you can still ditch [;)] them for regular tyres.

Should've told him you changed your mind and wanted racing slicks instead. Haha.