DonB

Remote On/Off Led Angel Eyes

Finally sorted out my remote on/off angel eyes today.

It's a very nice feature, and a very easy job. I didn't have a chance to do a write up on this,

as the weather wasn't being cooperative, so I just got it done as quick as I could. It took

about a half hour start to finish.

Briefly, the step by step instructions are:

1) Remove glovebox, which involves just removing 5 screws, and pulling the

glovebox toward you. Remove the plugs for the glovebox light, and glovebox

torch. This will allow you to take the glovebox out of your way.

2) Go to the engine bay, remove the ECU box cover, just 4 allen screws, and

the top cover comes off.

3) Go back to the passnger footwell and look up toward where the ECU box

is, and you'll see the light coming through a half moon shaped gap. Get the

the extension wire and push it through this gap. Keep feeding the wire, and

this will be visible in the ECU box.

4) Pull the extension wire from the ECU box, and remove the little rubber

grommet on the side of the ECU box. Push the rubber grommet back on over

the wire and replace the ECU cover.

5) Find the end of the extension wire and crimp the spade connector onto

the end with a pliers. Connect this to the spade connecter from the AE loom.

Wrap the connection in electrical tape to keep it secure.

6) Go to the footwell, and grab the scotch lock and connect it to the

red/blue wire for the footwell light. You'll have to peel back some of the

sheathing to get at the wire.

7) Connect the extension wire to the scotch lock, grab the pliers and crimp it

shut. Again, wrap the connection in electrical tape to secure.

8) Put everything back in place, and put the glovebox back in the reverse of

how you removed it.

9) Job done...repeatedly unlock/lock the car until bored. :D

Little video of it in action. :) (Click on the pic for the video)

th_IMG_0406.jpg

Just curious mate. When done this way do you have a connection to your sidelights or just wire them as i have....power to jumper point,ground to grounding point and trigger to footwell with one trigger left free.....or do i need to extend the other trigger and scotch lock into sidelights....idealy i want my angel eyes to come on when i unlock the car and stay on as DRL's......

Can't see the vid as am on the work PC.

Does this mean they come on when you open the doors?

Say, middle of the day, no lights on, switch off the car, open the door and they flick on?

yes on my behalf, i have a set of these connected to my car and when the doors are open the angel eyes will turn on.

Never seen a kit for the normal sidelights but you could make one I made one for my angel eyes as I didn't like the kit I got with mine

If you want I can send u pic of the diagram if you can solder

yes on my behalf, i have a set of these connected to my car and when the doors are open the angel eyes will turn on.

yep, just to confirm that this is the case, hence why i haven't wired mine to the footwell lights.

yep, just to confirm that this is the case, hence why i haven't wired mine to the footwell lights.

have you connected yours to your sidelights? do they still fade on and off when the car is locked and unlocked?

have you connected yours to your sidelights? do they still fade on and off when the car is locked and unlocked?

mine take their trigger off one of the accessories wires in the distribution box by the ECU. i'd love remote fade, but i don't want them lighting up when i open the door, only when the car is unlocked/locked so the footwell feed isn't of any use to me unfortunately.

edit: should explain that the accessories wire lights them up when the key is turned to the second position, so they're on the whole time the engine is running, can't turn them off.

Edited by analbeard

mine take their trigger off one of the accessories wires in the distribution box by the ECU. i'd love remote fade, but i don't want them lighting up when i open the door, only when the car is unlocked/locked so the footwell feed isn't of any use to me unfortunately.

edit: should explain that the accessories wire lights them up when the key is turned to the second position, so they're on the whole time the engine is running, can't turn them off.

i'v got somehting similar, the whole point about the opening your door and the angel eyes turning on, well usual the case is you've just unlocked the car before opening the door so they remote fade on before you get the chance to open the door, as you've already mentioned when the key is in the second position in the ignition the stay on, which is the same case as mine.

my kit is ccfl

Most CCFL's kits don't have the same plugs that would work with a remote

on harness.

You can get quality led kits from Umnitza in the us for about £50 delivered

now, that'd be the cheapest way I would say

Great Thread... I hope this thread doesnt get deleted though... A lot of people make money off of this. I did something similar with a friend on his Acura TL and it was same process. He wanted to paint the inside housing... Im just curious about wiring the angel eyes... Do you get any resistors with the rings? It would suck if you got the bulb out error once you put it all together.

Great Thread... I hope this thread doesnt get deleted though... A lot of people make money off of this. I did something similar with a friend on his Acura TL and it was same process. He wanted to paint the inside housing... Im just curious about wiring the angel eyes... Do you get any resistors with the rings? It would suck if you got the bulb out error once you put it all together.

Quick dumb question, I've got CCFL eyes and they only have two wires coming out of the inverter. Can I wire these to the torch charger? And can I run both eyes from the same connection?

Or am I stuck to the side light method?

Got my passenger side installed and just the drivers to do now, I'm grounding them to a nut on the actual light assembly. They light up, but they don't seem any where near as bright as I was expecting.

I would definitely wire to the chassis rather than the light assembly just to ensure a good earth. I'm running 2x 3A USB chargers from my torch socket and it's fine so a pair of CCFL inverters will be childs play. Run some cable through the car to the torch charger (use two core cable and take + and - from the torch charger itself).