MARCE1981

Electrical issue E36

Hi, I'm new to this site & have just bought my first BMW in the past fortnight.

I managed to snag a bargain 1997 Ac Schnitzer (replica) 323iSE for £1000 (113000 miles, FSH, 12mth MOT, 6mth tax) which is immaculate inside & out & clearly has been looked after. The only problem with the whole car is the speedo & fuel gauge work whenever they feel like it.

Usually when the car is cold they would work initially, but now the fuel gauge shows either empty in the red or totally full. The rev counter always works. I've had the speedo sensor changed and the dashboard test was ok, so i'm guessing there's a loose wire somewhere? Could it be anything else? How easy is it to locate the relevant wiring to check? If anyone else has had similar problems with the E36, how much can i expect to pay for this?

Any help/guidance would be hugely appreciated.

post-8633-0-97914700-1298299276_thumb.jp

Edited by MARCE1981

Welcome to the Zone dude, just to let you know this is a forum for E46s so you might not find as much knowledge here as other places but ppl will be along to try and help you soon :)

Thanks. Yeah i know this is E46, but i made a point of posting in the 'non e46' section ;)

The zorst didnt look right which is why i questioned it, also the wheels look like reps although have a look on the inside and if its got AC Schnitzer printed then they are genuine.

Aye, it's just one of those clip on jobs over the original. Not my doing though, it was on when i got it.

I'm whacking a full stainless on along with a remap in the not so distant future...

But not till i know how fast i'm going/how much fuel i have ;)

If its anything like the e46 dash I'd do the instrument cluster test procedure to see if it's actually the cluster itself or the signal it's receiving. Don't know if it works on the e36s though..

This is what I mean

As I say I dont know it will work with the 36

EDIT: Yes it does but it's nowhere near as cool lol

Edited by ROB1986

Hello mate, the car looks tidy for £1k! Looks like you have the Type IV wheels which are too new for a car of that age to be fitted from the factory.

I had a similar issue to the one you describe, but with the rev counter only. It would work when the car was cold, or when it rained, but not the rest of the time (unless it randomly woke up partway through a journey). I was told by an ex-BMW mechanic that you could fix it by removing the cluster and spraying WD40 on the connector blocks plugged in the back. However, I never got round to doing this so I can't tell you what the results were! If you want to try this, the cluster is held in by two T20 torx screws at the top of the glass on the front of the cluster. Undo these and it'll slide forward. You then need to squeeze the sides of the connector blocks to release the tabs holding them in place.

When you do this, make sure the ignition is not switched on, otherwise you could cause the tamper dot to activate in the cluster.

If this doesn't cure the fuel gauge issue then that could be a broken wire in the sender - this is located under the back seat through one of the metal panels that can be unscrewed - just pull the rear bench out and you'll see what I mean. I can't remember which side of the car it is on though!

If you sign up to www.bmwowner.com and look in the FAQ section there are guides in there for fixing the wire in the fuel sender.

Hello mate, the car looks tidy for £1k! Looks like you have the Type IV wheels which are too new for a car of that age to be fitted from the factory.

I had a similar issue to the one you describe, but with the rev counter only. It would work when the car was cold, or when it rained, but not the rest of the time (unless it randomly woke up partway through a journey). I was told by an ex-BMW mechanic that you could fix it by removing the cluster and spraying WD40 on the connector blocks plugged in the back. However, I never got round to doing this so I can't tell you what the results were! If you want to try this, the cluster is held in by two T20 torx screws at the top of the glass on the front of the cluster. Undo these and it'll slide forward. You then need to squeeze the sides of the connector blocks to release the tabs holding them in place.

When you do this, make sure the ignition is not switched on, otherwise you could cause the tamper dot to activate in the cluster.

If this doesn't cure the fuel gauge issue then that could be a broken wire in the sender - this is located under the back seat through one of the metal panels that can be unscrewed - just pull the rear bench out and you'll see what I mean. I can't remember which side of the car it is on though!

If you sign up to www.bmwowner.com and look in the FAQ section there are guides in there for fixing the wire in the fuel sender.

Nice. Cheers :)

Had a diagnostic done today & it appears i need a new instrument cluster, along with one of the fuel sensors.

I've managed to source the instrument cluster & the entire fuel cluster with sensors through 1stchoice.co.uk + fitting at my local garage for about £160 :D

BMW quoted £500+ for the cluster alone hahaha

Edited by MARCE1981

I have a similar problem with my e36 as im driving all of the dials die and then come back to life almost instantly and i then show a different fuel reading! It has taken them up to 10 mins to come back to life and when they do the service/inspection countdown bar comes up and then goes away. Any ideas how to stop it?