AdrianEvans

BMW specific USB-OBDII (16-pin) cable

Having purchased a nice shiny e46 (320d), and being a bit of a tinkerer, I've been doing a lot of research recently on loads of DIY stuff for these great cars. There's so much to do on these cars its ACE!

One thing that I did want to be able to do was diagnostics, retrofit memory seats, and recode my car keys. To do this I needed a bit of software (If INPA, DIS, SSS aren't familiar to you then you should google around) and a cable to connect my car to my computer.

The stock cables available come in many forms but the best one to get is a blue kkl usb cable from ebay. These are sold for all cars and there are no BMW specific cables for sale. Unfortunately, BMW isn't mentioned much in these listings and this is because without modification THESE CABLES WILL NOT WORK.

They can be modified. This guide is written to show the easiest way to do the modification so you can have a cheap OBDII interface cable of your own.

PREREQUISITES

You need to have a fine tipped soldering iron and the skills to use it. The work that needs to be done is very fine and requires mm precision.

STEP 1

Get a usb kkl cable off ebay. You can have them sent from china for a really cheap deal but from the UK these can still be found for less than ten squid.

STEP 2

You're going to need to get down to maplin and buy some bits (or just rummage through your boxes for the bits). What you need

1x NPN transistor (2n3904)

1x resistor 220k (can vary down to 100k or up to 400k)

you also need a bit of solder and a little bit of wire

wiv7W.jpg

STEP 3

Open up the cable by removing the four philips/pozidriv screws (two per side)

remove the casing

STEP 4

cut the bit of wire to length and solder it to the back of pins 7 + 8 - you can also just use solder to bridge the pins

KWK9L.jpg

STEP 5

use a bit of solder to bridge pins 17 and 18 of the fdtl chip - this will form a base for the next step which is tricky otherwise.

FDxHg.jpg

Then take the transistor, cut the legs so they are about 1cm long and bend the outer two down and together so there is about a 2mm gap between them. Use the iron to dab a bit of solder on to each of the three legs

27rb5.jpg

note the labelling

STEP 6

Solder leg (E) to the bridged pins 17 and 18. If you've prepped well this will be simply a case of holding the transister against the top of the fdtl chip, lining up the leg and dabbing it with the iron.

Check if the C leg is sitting over pin 20 (there should be a pin that you avoid between the two that were bridged). If it isn't, bend it so it sits over it and then dab it with the iron. The solder that you put on the leg before should be enough to get them to join. Keep going until they are stuck together.

qxYAf.jpg]

STEP 7

Now take the resistor and cut one leg short (about 1.5cm). Then solder this leg to the middle 'B' pin of the transistor (the only one now not connected)

whQ3V.jpg

Then bend the resistor so the other leg sits against the back of pin 1. and solder that on too.

u6Xxf.jpg

STEP 8

Put the case back on and grab a beer!

Job done. You should now have a working USB-OBDII cable that has ignition detection and works in INPA, DIS, and SSS.

Happy hunting. :D

If you need any help just shoot me a PM

This is the one I got:

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=140524980332

FYI You can get them pre modified if you give up on the soldering:

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=320695338721

Edited by AdrianEvans

Nice write up, what software would you use with this?

I've been looking to get car soft 6. something of eGay recently

Nice write up, what software would you use with this?

I've been looking to get car soft 6. something of eGay recently

I can't comment on carsoft working with this. Not tried it as I don't see the point what with the official BMW software out there. It works with BMW specific software INPA, DIS, and SSS. These are easy to get hold of if you know where to look.

would ebay be a good place to look? & which of the is your prefered system?

would ebay be a good place to look? & which of the is your prefered system?

yeah just search for 'kkl usb' and you'll find a bunch. prices range from 99p (coming from china so add £5 postage) up to about £10. There are some pre modded ones out there too I think.

Preferred system.. INPA is an easy start and is needed if you want to go further anyway. Problem is that INPA is only good if you just want to read out error codes. It comes with a bit of software that can do coding but I wouldn't touch it. DIS does everything you need; full diagnostics and coding/programming. There are several versions but v44 is the ticket.

Ordered a lead now to have a play with thanks for the right up mate

How did you find out you could do this mate

Ordered a lead now to have a play with thanks for the right up mate

How did you find out you could do this mate

Reading around a few different forums (FYI the link above just does the 7-8 pin join and does not work for ignition detection). There are other posts on that board that cover it but the source is bmwecu.org

Did a little reading last night.

Found someone that completely goosed their electronics by messing around with SSS. Be careful with this stuff guys.

Sounds like INPA is a must. It's basic, and primarily for reading your car rather than coding, but forms the basis of all the advanced stuff - as mentioned by the OP. Get this working first and then move on if you wish. Sounds relatively straight forward to get functional.

DIS sounds like a royal PITA - I mean, REALLY complex. The stuff I was reading (on ZHP Mafia) said NCS Expert is the way forward. It's not as pretty to use as DIS, but functionality-wise and for ease-of-setup, it's head and shoulders above. Apparently.

Was up for giving this a go until I dug a little deeper. Think it's beyond me.

Think I'm gonna just stick to my original plan and get a bluetooth OBD2 reader and Torque (Android) software!!

Adrian: How are you getting on with the coding side of things? Have you been able to suss out alarm/lights functions? Mirror tilts? etc.

Cheers.

Did a little reading last night.

Found someone that completely goosed their electronics by messing around with SSS. Be careful with this stuff guys.

Sounds like INPA is a must. It's basic, and primarily for reading your car rather than coding, but forms the basis of all the advanced stuff - as mentioned by the OP. Get this working first and then move on if you wish. Sounds relatively straight forward to get functional.

DIS sounds like a royal PITA - I mean, REALLY complex. The stuff I was reading (on ZHP Mafia) said NCS Expert is the way forward. It's not as pretty to use as DIS, but functionality-wise and for ease-of-setup, it's head and shoulders above. Apparently.

Was up for giving this a go until I dug a little deeper. Think it's beyond me.

Think I'm gonna just stick to my original plan and get a bluetooth OBD2 reader and Torque (Android) software!!

Adrian: How are you getting on with the coding side of things? Have you been able to suss out alarm/lights functions? Mirror tilts? etc.

Cheers.

It's been great coding - I have changed my wife's key so it only unlocks just the driver door on first press and all doors on second press, and locks the doors after she starts driving. Still playing round with other stuff - don't want to experiment too far as there is likely to be something that can mess things up. I'll probably put a DIY together on how to do this stuff over the weekend.

As for SSS messing things up. It's pretty safe, as is DIS, compared with NCS expert. With NCS you can find yourself in a world of pain and I would never recommend it. I'd say the opposite - SSS and DIS are easy to use - NCS is a minefield.

About the bluetooth OBD2 reader. I don't know anything about them. But it strikes me that if the wiring in those is the same as standard OBD usb cables, then they may not work... just a thought...

Edited by AdrianEvans

hi mate could you link to the exact one you bought as i ordered one took it to bits tried soldering then f**ked it up then looked at your pic more closely and noticed the side of the ftdi chip you were soldering to had bigger pins on one side than the the others where as the one i got had all the pins the same size so was impossible to solder to

if you can link to one il try again

thanks

hi mate could you link to the exact one you bought as i ordered one took it to bits tried soldering then f**ked it up then looked at your pic more closely and noticed the side of the ftdi chip you were soldering to had bigger pins on one side than the the others where as the one i got had all the pins the same size so was impossible to solder to

if you can link to one il try again

thanks

The FDTI chip on mine is the FT232BL. The pins are the same size on all sides.... They are small though, you need a delicate touch. You can remove your solder using a sucker and try again. The chip itself is pretty resilient.

This is the one I got:

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=140524980332

FYI You can get them pre modified if you give up on the soldering:

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=320690065670

good luck man :)

Edited by AdrianEvans

I ordered mine Saturday, two fold one was to use it on the other half's Polo, and then I can use it on my 330.

If anyone has any problems with soldering drop me a PM, I'm good with an iron. Also have 4 spare transistors going.

Ade Can you confirm, Pin 1 on that 32 pin chip is identified by either a dot in the plastic, or to the left of a cut corner, and the numbers are counted anticlockwise from pin 1. I will get one and try it! I want to program things like car and key functions, just for fun!!

I bought one specifically for BMW and have just got INPA working.

Two titbits of info that would have helped me...

1. Don't unpack anything. Just winrar right through the cd/folder and install from there.

2. If you get a communication error, check your Com port. Mine was Com3, but (by default) needs to be Com1. A cheeky ini file sorted that.

All info here: INPA_FAQ http://is.gd/o2PiJh

May have a play with DIS now... (scared :lol: )

Adrian: I've just found a guide for DIS utilising VMWare and Daemontools... Are these necessary?

All looks a little protracted... Is this how you installed yours?

You will make use of daemon tools again when loading DIS v44 image into the DIS base. You could probably also use the ISO and add a VM cd drive but the instructions I had didn't go that route.

It's worth reading the DIS manual, but for coding I didn't find any manual that covered everything. If anyone has one, post in here.

Hi, would someone let me know if by using this DIS v44 setup I would be able to "flash" the car to tell it it now has the OBC button, much like the dealer would do?

If so, anyone fancy a PM with how and where to get whatever is required pretty please?

Cheers,

Bom

From what I read this is done via the retrofit menu in DIS. There is a post on bimmerforums where this was the way it was done but that was for a Z3. probably is the same

http://forums.bimmerforums.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1332236

Hi, would someone let me know if by using this DIS v44 setup I would be able to "flash" the car to tell it it now has the OBC button, much like the dealer would do?

If so, anyone fancy a PM with how and where to get whatever is required pretty please?

Cheers,

Bom

Cheers Adrian, I'll check that out now.

Where do you get the software from? can you PM any directions (assuming you cant put them on the board that is)

Cheers

Thanks Adrian, excellent post. I have followed your instructions to modify a kkl cable. I have installed dis v 44, no probs but cannot communicate with the car, i have read about com ports but don't really know how to alter the setting in the VM machine, did you have any probs in communication, or did you just plug into The cars connector and away you went? Any help would be very much appreciated.