clarkys320d

swirl flap blank size

Hi

Can anyone tell me what size swirl flap blanks I would need for my car, its 2005 320d. Not sure if its 22mm or 33mm, and does anyone have a website address for crankcase breathers to ebay have one on at £48 notes plus £5 postage

Cheers

im not sure about the swirll flaps, maybe someone with an 05 can tell you hopefully they are all the same size, 53quid is quite expensive for the crankcase breather, im assuming its a vortex type i.e the one that doesnt look like a loo roll. i got my crankcase breather from the main dealer for 30euro. for 48quid it must come with the plastic cover, but you dont really need to replace that as the crankcase breather usually comes with two rubber gaskets. assuming your plastic cover is ok. did you check the DIY on bimmerforums: http://www.bimmerforums.co.uk/forum/f3/replacing-the-oil-breather-on-e46-320td-or-t15944/

it shows the plastic cover that is included in the more expensive breather kit, the guy who did the diy says you dont need to replace the breather cover and even at that he says 40quid from his local dealership for the kit with the cover.

Edited by cf_corp

Deffo not 22/33mm ones! They're WAY too small! I think thats for like E36/39's.. Early E46's were 45mm.. Yours should be 55mm!

I bought mine from here:-

http://www.swirlflaps.co.uk/buy-now.html

As for breather filter - try cotswoldbmwmini on here or BM Mini Parts.. However mine was like £45 for the filter and the cover from my local BMW dealership.

4 x BMW SWIRL FLAP BLANKING REPLAMENT BUNGS 22MM 320 330 520 530 525 535 730D
*V.A.T INCLUDED* VITON SEALS* BILLET ALUMINIUM** BEST**

15.99 and free shipping.

I have just purchased a 03 320d estate auto....private sale and i asked the guy has it had the swirlflaps of doom taken out yet? He said not in my time of owning it. The car had two owners from new before me...one which used the dealership aka stealers for 90 pc of its service history.

LOL he said you should ring the dealership and ask them incase they would of removed them, when it was in for one of many services that bsically include check check check anayway... That would be hardly likely that they would remove the flaps

Anyhoo all different car brands have their manufactuer design flaws and as i come from a audi /vw background and this is my first bmw .....I would advise getting these changed asap and isnt a major stripping job.

I looked at 3 of these cars before i bought this one....as the other 2 cars where complete dogs....one had injector trouble /pile of oil leaks and the guy kept saying the car is fine and its a bmw bla bla bla.......the other had gearbox trouble....so i think it is better to pay a wee bit more for a decent car with history...cus you are going to pay it down the road with a 320d rough example

So luckily this one has a great history and the guy had both thermostats changed 6 months ago.....

other jobs that need done is the crankcase breather for the turbo health and id say a ATF fluid change and filter on the gearbox

goodluck folks

PS hope the engine holds out till the weekend till the swirlflap blank plugs come....