John

Car juddering at motorway speeds :( Plz help

Hi guys,

I have a intermittent problem with my e46 330 sport coupe. I drove it to europe a couple of months back and after many hours driving, the car started to judder slightly, and got worse. I took a break then it dissapeared. Ever since I haven't really noticed it.

Driving to Bournemouth lastnite in the torential rain it started again and got pretty bad, the dashboard shaking slighty and even my CD skipping a couple of times, so you can imagine. I tried putting the car in neutral, still there, sped up (from my stead 75mph), still there, slowed down to about 50mph, got worse. Then it just faded away really!

The juddering in question feels like from the base of the car and doesn't seem to be coming from a specific side of the car. And it's not just the steering wheel for example, i can also feel it in my seat!

It's a wierd problem, but it DEFINETELY is a problem that needs to be seen to. I'd appreciated any advice on this matter, maybe somebody has encountered the same in the past, saving me from trying to explain it to my local mechanic and then him trying to find the problem.

Please help! :)

It's not just wheel balancing is it? If your wheels aren't balanced your car will shake at high speeds.

If you think it might be the engine... once my Dad had a problem like this and it turned out to be leaves in the air intake that were blocking the air from getting in - but it only happened when he drove fast because the pressure would suck them towards the filter or something.

Tbh I had a inspection II carried out and they checked most things and the suggested I change the front rear arm bushes, which I did and the brake discs and pads. I had this worked carried out by a seperate garage and went and spoke to him today. They said it looked fine up on the ramp, surely both placed would notice something serious like a crack!?

John i have the same issue as you m8..tbh I checked the subframe a while back with some pictures to compare to and didn't notice anything glearing....as I said before do you get any other noise while driving a squealling or anything...would be interesting to find our what is causing this...it's gotta be something to do with the front suspention as the juddering is felt through steering wheel feedback.

hey I hit 2000 with this post....

hope your right john.

not trying to scare ya mate but the crack on my mates car was covered by muck and dirt. the crack was at the rear pass side spring mount. he only spotted it when he fitted his new lowering springs.

cost him a fortune to fix but luckily his insurance coughed up the money for him.

i really hope that this isnt the problem john, you could do an inspection yourself by taking off your back wheels and have a look at the area where the axel mounts meet the subframe. this is generally where the cracks appear?

Doubt it would be the rear subframe as they affected the majority of 323 and 328i's. It could be your wheels are out of balance maybe your tracking is out too. Checked your wheel nuts that there tight and not loose? Doubt it is the propshaft coupling but when you accelerate hard does it vibrate from the rear?

quite interesting what a search will throw up, have exactly the same problem with mine which has developed over the weekend, judders from front end on a longish run (usually starts after 10-20 miles)

the drivers side alloy wheel is getting hot compared to the passenger side one , might be worth checking yours after a run which the problem kicks in on

I'm 100% this a sticking caliper, have jet washed all round the caliper and it does seem better (may be down to the cooling down of the disc ) although i will be getting it booked in to have a look at

I think new pads + discs at front and a new seal kit will sort this out

I'd definately say its not anything MAJOR ie subframe as its an intermittent issue from your original post much like my own problem

its more than likely you've picked some s*** up off the roads (film/salt/oil) which is causing it to stick, pretty common this time of year as the roads have had a chance to collect alsorts over the summer without the rain to wash it away

will update how i sort mine but its very same as yours mate

Judders can also mean:

1. Your tracking is out.
  2. You have wheel balancing issues (ie you have lost a counterwight)
  3. You have a defect in one of your tyres

The 3rd option is the worse because it may get worse over time and eventually lead to a burst tyre.

I had a defect in a tyre side wall blow out at 80mph on the motorway. Its no fun trying to bring a car to a stop on 3 wheels.

If the judder gets worse over the course of a journey it could mean that this is the problem. If you think about it, if you have a tyre wall defect, the gradual heating up of the air in the tyre will cause it to expand, possibly causing the tyre wall to bulge changing the tyres profile and inducing a vibration.

well as i initially thought my problem was indeed brake related , caliper sticking on driver side (apparently a few have come in around my 02 plate manufacture year so possibly wear and tear / lifespan)

as its brakes related i'm changing out the whole lot , new caliper , discs and pads