jassi

335d engine transplant

HI Guys trying to do a little research as to what sort of problems will be faced trying to fit a 335d or 535d engine into my 330d sport e46, i want to keep it a manual but i have heard that bmw havent released it with a manual box, would a 330d e90 box work anyone got a clue about the wiring loom. if this can be done plans would be to remap the car to approx 360 bhp and 540lbs of torque.

I can't say for sure but I think the main differences between the e46 330d engine and the 335d engine is the injectors, the addition of the dpf, and probably stronger bits and bobs within the engine.

If that's the case I don't see why you can't use your own ecu, gearbox and exhaust.

There's probably lots more to it than that! Lol.

All I know is a e46 330d with 335d injectors will push out 280-300+ bhp easily.

I've heard on a std 335d the gearboxes are the weak point if you remap them.

Apparently I can't use my ecu as it only runs 1.6 bar of boost and the 335d requires 1.8 bar of boost plus you need the actuator to know when to use small and big turbo. I was planning to use my exhaust but think will have to run the autobox as it's the only box to run the bhp and torque plus if you use the 335d ecu it has the autobox ecu built in. I can't help wondering that if you use a e90 330d manual box with the engine and get someone to overcome the autobox ecu built in that this would work. As far as I know our manual box will not handle the violent 360bhp and 560lbs of torque, BMW claim that if a manual box was on the end of this it would turn the box into swarf. Possibly getting quaiffe to update my box to handle the power maybe a possibility??

How much would all this cost ? :blink:

I was just going to ask how deep the OP's pockets were.

I reckon it'd be cheaper to go the same way as Blair with the LS1. At least there's a company out there that's done it, knows how it's done and you'll be guaranteed of a great ending on it as many of us have seen the results!

True that! I'd just buy a 335d tbh but fair do's to OP for the idea/effort! If nobody engine transplants I think the world would be a lesser place.. :P

Jassi - I'm sure boost can be increased with a custom remap.. I think the main problem you'll have is like you say the twin-turbo's. I'm sure the E90 manual 'box will be stronger as they come with 240bhp as standard. However torque wise think of it this way:-

A standard 335d

280bhp and 580NM

Standard E90 330d

242bhp and 500NM

The E46 330d remapped

250bhp and 500NM

If you can remap an E90 to 280-300bhp im sure torque will rise to 600NM at least. Whats a remapped 335d? 680NM? I think an E90 manual 'box might be ok but you may have to get it uprated..

I think you'd need to look at after market ECU as controlling the BMW one could be fun (maybe speak to BMW chip tune?) ..... but might not be I'd have to spend some time with both wiring diagrams to have a better idea. You can use a different gearbox using a custom made bell housing you'd need something beefy to cope with the torque... custom prop would be easy, you'll want an LSD too ;)

Be aware of the challenge that's ahead of you, not just the 100's & 100's of hours but time waiting for bespoke parts to made when you've found someone to make them... but when it doesn't work & nobody has an answer the buck stops with you...

95% of projects never run let alone get finished.

Money is always an issue but a project of this size is about much more than money.... it's no good saying my brother/uncle/dad/next door is a mechanic a job like this is WAY beyond a mechanic, modern 'mechanics' are just fitters they just fit parts they don't have the skill set for creating custom engine mounts, welding new header pipes from a pile of bends making new exhausts, air con lines, wiring etc etc I can't begin to tell you the challenges that I've see DynoTorque have to overcome...

I collect a Mazda RX7 last week from a workshop in Darlington the car has been there for an LS2 V8 conversion & it's been there for 18 months they have bought a kit from America to enable them to fit it but it's just beyond them cause as we all know nothing ever fits.... & for the OP's car there is no kit or experience of anybody doing this before.

I've never done a diesel before but DynoTorque has been asked to put one into a TVR so I guess I'll be wiring one later in the year....

Hmm V8 LS Diesel...... anybody want to by a 357ci.........?

You've planted a seed now!

Doesn't the 335i have a manual box?

335i doesn't carry as much torque as the 335d therefore no manual box for the 335d

getting prices but the engine slots straight in as they are both m57 not sure on the length of the auto box if same length sorted if not custom prop shaft

No they didnt DynoTorque did!!! It took about 5 weeks to get the engine & ancilarys in it....

Any idea what they would be looking to charge if I took the car to them with the engine and box fitted and just required them to do the wiring loom so it fires up??

I do their wiring there is no answer to many variables, I'd have to sit down with both wiring diagrams for a few hours to have a better idea of what's involved & what modules you'd need off the donor car etc

You could build your own ECU, by using a Megasquirt box. The issue there is you'll need to sort your own map, or work out the fuelling from another engine.

They're (usually) for spark injection engines, but you could still probably find a map that will work.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/MegaSquirt

There are a range of vendors that do kits and you could potentially do this very cheaply, but it will mean a LOT of work, understandably.

hope this helps.

Cliff.