Individual 330ci

E46 Vert Ski Hatch Sub Build Progress

Hi guys,

Thought I'd start a thread for my Ski Hatch Sub build...

Back in April someone on here posted up about upgrading the Harmon Kardon subwoofer in their vert- which sound ok but are far from brilliant... After reading the thread, it appeared that Bavarian Sound Werks did a kit that replaced this for a free air sub and external amp, the sub gets mounted in the ski hatch between the rear seats and their amp is wired off the OE Harmon Kardon amp... This I found very interesting and I really wanted one, however BSW are in America and with Import Tax it would cost something silly like £700.... So I looked at their fitting instructions on line and it dawned on that their kit could be quite easy to replicate... I already had a 400W JBL amp, RCA's and Power Cabling I'd kept from a previous car. So using their excellent guide I set about wiring my amp and RCA's into the Harmon Kardon amp.... I was sceptical as to whether it would work but I tried it and it did... So I then began looking for a free air sub to put in the ski hatch....

Well...... Finding a free air sub was almost impossible, I tried to order 3 and none were stocked any more- The retailers said free air subs are dying out now and that shallow mounts with small boxes are the way to go.... So I decided to go down that route... Basically a shallow mount subwoofer has a smaller cone and can work well in small enclosures- this is perfect for the vert as the space is very small.

The shallow mount subwoofer I went for was a Rockford Fosgate P3S:

IMG00742-20110809-1213.jpg

IMG00743-20110809-1225.jpg

Here is a pic of my amp wired up and placed where the tool kit should be on the spare wheel cover:

IMG00745-20110809-1241.jpg

So, removing the Harmon Kardon Sub, it looks like this:

IMG00746-20110809-1255.jpg

IMG00747-20110809-1255.jpg

To get that out you have to remove the rear seats- This is easy to do, the base is held in by 2 clips and can be removed by a sharp pull up from either side....

IMG00752-20110809-1708.jpg

The backs are a bit more involved as they slot in at the top and have 2 10mm nuts at the bottom- Remove the nuts and slide the back upwards and it will come out revealing this:

IMG00753-20110809-1712.jpg

Here you can see the black enclosure for the HK sub.

IMG00754-20110809-1712.jpg

To get the HK sub enclosure out you need to remove the speaker from the boot- this is clipped in and I just gently prised it out.

IMG00756-20110809-1724.jpg

Once you have removed the speaker you can remove the enclosure in the car- this is held in by 4 torx bolts.

IMG00759-20110809-1727.jpg

With that out you are left with this:

IMG00760-20110809-1729.jpg

That is the space for the new sub box to go in.....

So work started on the box.... I bought a sheet of 12mm MDF from B&Q, my mate who is a carpenter helped with the initial measuring and getting it going.... Here are the pics through the stages:

IMG00765-20110810-1941.jpg

IMG00766-20110810-2205.jpg

IMG00769-20110811-1646.jpg

IMG00770-20110811-1646.jpg

IMG00771-20110811-1646.jpg

Trial fit with the sub in- Not screwed in but held in place:

IMG00773-20110813-1703.jpg

IMG00775-20110813-1705.jpg

Then the view from in the boot:

IMG00774-20110813-1703.jpg

It's almost there now- Need to get a speaker terminal and make boards to cover the front and rear- then for trimming.... I cant wait to see it all done!

Thanks for looking.

Looking good mate, let us know how it sounds ets.

Once this is done, there are likely to be endless requests for the dimensions of the enclosure you have built - if you can, would be handy to measure it up and make a plan for it.

Edited by Singh

Hi

Excellent DIY there!

There are ready made E46 Convertible sub boxes available that have been made professionally and are carpet finished with terminals - just add your choice of subwoofer that works within the volumetric space!

I'm willing to organise a group buy discount for E46zone members if there's enough interest as I'm within the audio and electronics trade?

Cheers, Dennis!

Looking good mate, let us know how it sounds ets.

Once this is done, there are likely to be endless requests for the dimensions of the enclosure you have built - if you can, would be handy to measure it up and make a plan for it.

No probs mate.. I will do my best to measure it but it was literally shave a bit here, add a bit there etc but I'll see what I can do before its fully fitted!

Hi

Excellent DIY there!

There are ready made E46 Convertible sub boxes available that have been made professionally and are carpet finished with terminals - just add your choice of subwoofer that works within the volumetric space!

I'm willing to organise a group buy discount for E46zone members if there's enough interest as I'm within the audio and electronics trade?

Cheers, Dennis!

Cheers- Yeah I saw those boxes on ebay- they were a bit steep at £150 and were fully trimmed in black carpet which was no good for the boot of mine as its grey and I will be doing the front in black alacantara, also the front will have a 'beauty board' to go over what you see so far and you won't see any screws etc.

Still I'm sure a lot of people would defo be interested in the boxes as it is defo an easier option that what I'm doing here, although to this point the box itself has only cost me £19.... Lots of hours labour though!

Hi,

Have a look at this site;

http://www.customsubwooferboxes.co.uk/subwoofer_enclosures/bmw_e46_ported_box_range

Much better priced and top quality as well!

I know the owner of the company and so if there's enough interest, I'll see if there's any room for a discount.

Cheers, Dennis!

Hi,

http://www.customsubwooferboxes.co.uk/subwoofer_enclosures/bmw_e46_ported_box_range

I know the owner of the company and so if there's enough interest, I'll see if there's any room for a discount.

Cheers, Dennis!

those are some very good prices

Hi,

Cheers, Dennis!

Dennis those prices look really good. This might kick me back into my thinking of installing a sub...... hmmmmmm

Excellent prices on that site. Defo worth it if people can't be bothered or aren't able to make a box.

The only thing that puts me off them is the black carpet as I said before (easily changed I guess) and the design of the box will mean it will stick out a lot more when mounted behind the seats and I think that may mean bending the seat backs a bit to get them in (not that doing that would do any harm). Mine is a bit more refined and fits in the recess and is actually like a glove- without sticking out any more! Just my preference there though!

Anyway I did a bit more on mine tonight, I made my brackets up to fix it in place in 2 of the original mounting holes- the speaker termials came today as well and I have fitted them. Tomorrow night after work it is literally a matter of wiring the sub up, screwing it in and testing it! Looking forward to that! Pics of all that tomorrow!

Just need to get the alacantara for the beauty board inside the car and grey carpet for the boot board..... Does anyone know of anywhere I can get some grey carpet for the boot that is a good match for the rest of the carpets?

Cheers.

Right.... Update:

Ok made a lot more progress over the past few evenings!

First up- Brackets- I made these out of some old 2x2 cable trunking I had left over:

IMG00779-20110816-1852.jpg

IMG00780-20110816-1852.jpg

It was the 90 degree bend I wanted so I cut one of the sides down and made it smaller- See a trial fit below:

IMG00782-20110816-2016.jpg

Both brackets made and fitted- Without holes drilled:

IMG00783-20110816-2110.jpg

With holes drilled and final trial fit before installing the sub:

IMG00789-20110818-1202.jpg

Final pictures before fitting with sub and speaker terminals fitted:

IMG00791-20110818-1311.jpg

IMG00792-20110818-1311.jpg

IMG00793-20110818-1311.jpg

Before final fitting I applied some foam tape to the parts that touch any metal in case of any movement- See below:

IMG00794-20110818-1311.jpg

IMG00795-20110818-1312.jpg

IMG00797-20110818-1312.jpg

IMG00798-20110818-1312.jpg

Also while I was at it I decided to fit a voltmeter to my amp and a vibe quick release plug for the power cables and remote- with it being velcro'd to the spare wheel cover it can enable me to remove the amp in seconds in the event of a flat tyre and needing a spare wheel- it also enable me to reduce the wiring gauge (4 gauge from the battery and too thick for amp terminals so after the plug it is 8 gauge.....

IMG00799-20110818-1352.jpg

IMG00800-20110818-1450.jpg

IMG00801-20110818-1501.jpg

IMG00804-20110818-1539.jpg

IMG00806-20110818-1610.jpg

Fitted in the car:

IMG00809-20110819-1849.jpg

And finally sub in the car- all set up, and working- honestly it sounds amazing! I actually cant believe how good it sounds for the size of the box!

IMG00810-20110819-1850.jpg

IMG00811-20110819-1850.jpg

IMG00813-20110819-1850.jpg

All thats left for me to do now is to make the board for the front and trim it in black alacantara- then I can put the rear seats back in..... The boot then needs the board made up too and that will be trimmed in carpet to match the rest of the boot!

Thanks for looking!

Propper Job that indeed mate - lot better than i did it , just screwed my sub into the bulkhead and left the amp rolling around in the wheel well :lol:

Cheers mate lol still I bet it did the job!

Nice work.

When I fitted my ski hatch sub, i took my ski hatch cover to a trimmers to get a speaker port/grille made to allow the sub to work without have to keep removing the cover.

d684cd16.jpg

Oh yeah I like that- Will defo bear it in mind! I'll see how I get on when I get my seats and everything back in! How come your selling yours btw?

Cheers mate lol still I bet it did the job!

Oh yeah I like that- Will defo bear it in mind! I'll see how I get on when I get my seats and everything back in! How come your selling yours btw?

Got to get a gearbox rebuild (no reverse gear issue) and then will be probably putting the car up for sale and get an E92 or E93 next.

Got to get a gearbox rebuild (no reverse gear issue) and then will be probably putting the car up for sale and get an E92 or E93 next.

Ah ok fair enough.... I was very seriously contemplating an e93 335 around May time but decided to keep the e46 and do some more to it!

Dibs on the splitter and exhaust when you come to sell! As that is the next mod on my list!!

Any pics of the finished product and how does it sound?

I'm in the middle of building one, non h-k vert here so had to get rid of the ski hatch centre bit. The non h-k 'vert comes with a grey fabric liner which covers the back of the seats completely (kind of like yours did except it had the black swinging door in the middle!) so you could maybe put one in from a non h-k vert to make it more stealth from the boot, that is if the box doesn't protrude into the boot too much.

Also how did you wire up the ignition live for the amp?

I'm excited to finish mine but waiting on some parts before I can :( The wait is killing me!

Hi there,

I finally finished it yesterday- I will get the rest of the pics up after work tomorrow- it sounds amazing for its size- wel impressed with it!

With regards to the remote- I tapped in to the 12V feed from the standard HK amp....... It does however come on with the ignition and not the head unit so any switched live from the ignition will be ok for you but I can't think of one specifically I'm afraid!

What sub are you using for yours?