Blair

The Tyre Topic

I've got Vredestien Ultra Sesenta on my summers atm, and they're OK, but I'd not buy them again.

They're not as quiet as I was hoping for, and they're quite easy to overwhelm under power. Cornering grip is decent enough though, but it's fairly easy to wheel spin (or get the TC light) through 1st/2nd. The Ultra Vortis I had before were a better tyre.

To be honest mate, I find the same with the search function - particularly with Tapatalk.

I find the best work around is to use a Google search and populate the search string as:

'your query[space]e46zone' so in this instance 'what tyres are best E46zone'. - Should get a decent result then [emoji106]

Even better way is "site:www.e46zone.com is there an airbag recall?". Also can be used to exclude sites (really useful when looking for reviews on a firm, but not wanting to see their own biased website. Such as "-site:www.bmw.co.uk -site:www.bmw.com new 4 series" or "-site:www.bridgestone.co.uk. eagle f2 review" (- is the exclude operator). That's all in a Google search.

Edited by TriggerFish

Fast road tracking? That's a new one on me. :wacko:

Je suis Charlie

It's just a common term used for custom geo if you're wanting slightly better handling (albeit to the detriment of tyre wear).

Some people call it a FRSU (Fast Road Setup).

Edited by LiamGTR

Recently had my rears changed from GT Radial Champiros (which were on the car when I bought it) to some P Zeros since in the 7500 miles over 12 months since they were fitted, the inside of both had worn right down and the car was tramlining constantly.

Going to get the alignment checked soon to make sure all is OK but the tyre fitter reckoned the wear was mostly down to the (lack of) quality of the tyre.

Now I've got:

Front 225/40/18 Pirelli P Zero Rosso - ~15000 miles in and plenty of life left yet.

Rear 255/35/18 Pirelli P Zero - £274 for the pair, fitted. Local tyre shop matched the TyreLeader price. Let's hope for a bit more than 7500 miles out of these ones!

The whole car feels much more connected and the traction control light isn't coming on at every opportunity. What I didn't expect was changing the rears to have much an effect on the tramlining issue, but it has also improved significantly which is nice. I guess the stories of these cars being quite fussy on the front/rear mixing of tyres are true.

Going from 4 x Goodyear Eagle F1 to:

2 x 225/40/18 Dunlop Sport Maxx - Front

2 x 255/35/18 Falken ZE914 - Rear

2 x drop links

2 x wishbone rubber housing

+ the obvious full laser tracking (if anyone has any recommendations for good settings on an OEM setup, let me know)

Hoping the car is going to feel like new after this :)

Edited by LiamGTR

Just gone back to OEM spec from having a square 245 set-up

Front 2 x Dunlop Sport Maxx RT 225/40/18

Rear 2 x Dunlop Sport Maxx RT 255/35/18

Early opinion is that these are night and day over the Bridgestone RE050s they replace.

Not quite comparing like for like as the Bridges were F/B/72dB rated and the Dunlops are C/A/69dB

The slightly softer compound and sidewall have made a huge difference to the ride and quietness. Haven't pushed them yet as they are still new but nothing suggests that they will not perform. Consumption is much better as well showing +2-3 mpg!!!

But the best thing these tyres give over the Bridges and previous Pirellis is no tramlining. The state of the roads round here had previously made me think I had a flat they would tramline so badly and with the Dunlops, I haven't noticed it once!

And I would third X-man's opinion, I've got them all round on my summer wheels and love the way they ride. Mine are in 19" flavour with no tramlining, will replace like for like when the time comes.

Edited by CharlE46

Been lookin at wheels I have in garage 18 inch and I thought fronts fwhere 8. And rears are 8.5. But. When looked rear is 9. Question is I was going to put 225/40/18 all around will I need different size for rear now with being 9 just standard e46 318 with m sport suspension

Edited by allan k

nangkang 225-40-18 all round £200 delivered and £40 to fit,i can i say im impressed with the tyres for the price,theses are deffo not budgets imho,