Blair

The Tyre Topic

Good thread, thanks all.

Against my better judgment I decided to go for a set of Kumho KU39 sports.

225/40/18 front

255/35/18 rear

They are still new but initial findings are that the grip seems good in both wet and dry. There is a bit of road noise however (but nowhere near as much as with the Runway set that came off - they were BAD for noise). I'm still experimenting with pressures trying to reduce the noise.

Will have to wait for further developments regarding noise/wear to make further comment.

Front: Dunlop Sp Sport 01

Size: 235/40/18 (on an 8" rim, captain sensible or what)

Cost: £55 each (Partworn from a trader on the bay) with between 4.3 and 4.6mm (these are £130ish new on camskill)

Miles lasted: only a few hundred done on them so far.

View: I've just fitted these to the front of my Audi A4 190 quattro and so far i'm very impressed.Its November and i've done a few hundred miles in dry but cold, wet and damp conditions and the grip is very good in all of these, the car is noticeable keen and direct on turn in. They do tramline a bit on uneven surfaces but this could be due to the front wheels being driven as well as the back. They've certainly done a lot to move the balance from understeer (both power on and lift off) to oversteer with i find a lot more natural.

Buy Again: Assuming they last a normal amount of miles, yes.

Edited by Dr T

Just fitted Falken's all round. 225/40/18 front and 255/35/18 rear.

They are not the usual 452's though.... I went for the asymmetrical ZIEX ZE-912's as I got a good price.

They are so much better than the budget tyres fitted before (not by me) I now have wet grip, its smoother, quieter and just feels so much better. If they go on like this and last fairly well I would definitely buy them again. Well chuffed.

Dunlop SP Sport Maxx - 255/35/18.

Not impressed by this so called performance tyre.

Straight line grip isn't too bad but the lateral grip is absolutely shocking. Not progressive at all......once its lost traction/grip at any kind of angle it just lets go completely.

Also sidewalls are massive and too square/chunky - makes them look like tractor tyres and thats on a 9.5J rim.

All in all not happy and probably get them swapped asap.

Haida HD921

225/40 18

£206 for a set of 4 fitted and balanced.

Another set of budget tyres.

Been spot on, road noise is very reasonable, grip both wet and dry is good.

I only ever push the car in the dry and these have been spot on, plenty of grip.

Not saying they wouldn't be ok if pushed in the wet, just that I haven't tried it.

I will defo buy again up to now.

Just bought another set of these for my new rims.

Best recommendation, repeat business.

Front & Rear

Make: "Sunnys"

Size: 235/35/19 fitting to a 8" alloys and tested with stretching it on a 9.5" allloy

Cost: Came on the car when i purchased it, was wrapped on 19" M3 rep alloys. Quick internet search and they come in about £60 delivered

Miles lasted: not sure as they were already on the car, but slow tread wear

View: Dangerous on a RWD car, would be ok for a low bhp FWD car. If the road is slightly wet, back end easily twitches when taking corners.....really lowers your confidence when driving.

I changed alloys to a staggered fitment, fitted them to front 8.5" and rear 9.5" (stretched on the rear)....NOT a tyre that likes to be stretched, lost air over 2 days.Rubbish bead

Removed from alloys and never fitted again.

Definitely would not buy these if i had a choice of budgets

Fullruns or Landsails are normally pretty good IMHO. Kidding!

Seriously though...dont ever touch those - agreed with Rob, Khumos are normally alright for the price. I found mine to be a bit noisy but they had good levels of grip in both dry & wet conditions (not the last word in handling in the wet, but also not terrible)

Like what people have said. kumho and falkens are good.

found used sets for cheap. very good thread too. its just your luck mate.

also i learnt too stay away from some of these budget tires. had some on the fronts with 19s, grip was not all that even with 4mm thread. fitted falkens with similar thread, damn they grip :D.

Like what people say dont do budget on tires , as thats your only contact with the road :).

my van came with Mohawk tyres. which are made by yokohama...best thing I did was wear them out and get them off.which as it happened wasn't long.I run hankook on my car and am happy with them so ive just fitted a full set to the van too

Interestingly, Nankangs are made by the Yokohama factory and use the older Yokohama tread patterns, just on a slightly harder rubber compound so they last longer.

See anything similar here? :P/>

logo_nankang.gif

yokohama.png

.....that explains why they are good in the dry but a little slippy in wet weather! Overall, not bad at all for the price, just take extra care on wet roads

Fine i'I'll say it - the words "budget" and "BMW" should not be used together..

Its the only thing keeping you and your car on the road. If you can't afford top dollar for Michelin or Pirelli, that's where Veredestein, Toyo, Falken come in..

Just waiting for the day I see someone say they've bought a cheapo budget tyre and then stack it in a hedge! It's a matter of time.. I hope it's not OP.

Fine i'I'll say it - the words "budget" and "BMW" should not be used together..

THIS THIS AND THIS, these cars cannot be run on a budget and especially in the 330 you dont want all that power on some s**tty budget.

I have had budgets and now have Avons, this qualifies me to comment, spend cheap spend twice

Its the only thing keeping you and your car on the road. If you can't afford top dollar for Michelin or Pirelli, that's where Veredestein, Toyo, Falken come in..

Again, I would also add Avon from personal experience

Just waiting for the day I see someone say they've bought a cheapo budget tyre and then stack it in a hedge! It's a matter of time.. I hope it's not OP.

THIS, I also second Momo and hope its not the OP