Blair

The Tyre Topic

Here's the way I'd like this to work post details about YOUR tyre experience not what you've heard somewhere.

Front: Mohawk

Size: 235/40/18

Cost: £40 each

Miles lasted: 500

View: In the dry fine no noise or tramlinging issues as long as you don't just chuck it into a corner the provide a decent level of grip BUT in the wet/damp tho horrid zero grip and no feel at all.

Buy Again: No, i binned these after 500 miles.

Edited by Daz 330 Cs

I have had good experiences with Vredstein and bridgestone potenzas and eagle F1's on my e30's

So far i don't rate the bridgestone re040 i have on the e46 but that may be to do with the car which i feel oversteers or the fact that the rears are quite worn mind you worn tyres usually grip well in the dry.

Front/Back: DiamondBack

Size: 225/40/18

Cost: unknown, as they were on the car when i bought it.

Miles lasted: unknown

View: Crap, zero grip in the wet, noisy in the dry. As soon as they've worn out, getting replaced with something decent.

Front: Avon ZZ3

Size: 225/40/18

Cost: Came with the car

Miles lasted: 25,000+

View: Took a LONG time to bed in.. Very poor grip in the dry, ok in the wet. After about 8,000m they started to grip really well.

Buy Again: No - poor side-wall contruction means they leak air on MV2 Rims. Need rims grinding clean every 6-8months

Rear: Falken FK452

Size: 255/35/18

Cost: £145 each (I think)

Miles lasted: 8,000 for this set.

View: Best tyre for the money I think - decent grip in both dry and wet. Will never be as good as premium tyres (such as Michelin or Conti's etc..) but if one nail in the tyre can result in having to buy 2x new tyres I don't see the point of spending £400 for 2 tyres. My latest FK452's were bought due a nail in my old set on the tyre shoulder.

Buy again: HELL YES!! Whole-heartedly recommend them to others too!

Front: Continental SC3

Size: 235/40/18

Cost: N/A (was newish on car when purchased)

Miles lasted: ~10,000

View: A good Tyre, with long lasting tread, but the rubber seems to go hard causing grip issues in the wet and premature DSC activation. Road noise was low

Buy Again: Maybe but would need to be cheaper

Rear: Hankook V12 Evo

Size: 225/35/18

Cost: N/A (was Brand new on car when purchased)

Miles lasted: 8,000

View: Initially a good tyre but tread worn down very quickly, In the dry they were just ok (nothing special) Wet performance was not the best. Road noise was very low.

Buy Again: No, wear rate was very poor especially for the rear.

Front & Back: Kumho KU39

Size: 225/35/18 & 255/40/18

Cost: £400

Miles lasted: N/A - Driven 3,000 so far

View: I did a lot of homework on tyres and decided i'd go for these, after having a good experience with the old Kumho KU31's. When I initially installed these tyres the first 300~ was up and down. But after they bed in these tyres feel great! Dry grip - Excellent, Wet grip - Excellent, Feedback - Very good. They make the car feel very balanced and the wear rate seems good so far (still look new). Road noise is low/medium - Older road surfaces you can hear them a bit but on a smooth road they are very quiet.

Buy Again: Yes.

Edited by PeterH

I'm another Falken FK452 fan....

Put a set on my MV2's: (Everyone knows the sizes) Cost £370ish if I remember correctly- excellent wet and dry- decent wear rate.

Set for my 19's: 235/35/19 Front- 265/30/19 Cost £500- Same as above.

I have bought them twice and would defo buy again and reccomend!

Nankang S2

205/55/16

£190 full set.

Review: great value for money. Road noise gets loud on the motorway but still acceptable. Wet conditions: not too bad just don't push it. Due to the cheap rubber these last ages 20k and loads of tread left.

Buy again: Sure, but only because I do town driving mostly. if I had a faster car or did more motorway driving I'd look into more expensive tyres.

Front - Bridgestone Potenza RE050A 225 40 18

Reasonable grip, and comfort, but the best thing about them is the rim protector.

The lip of the tyre sits out about a half inch past the rim, saves curbing.

Buy again? Probably, but only for the rim protector

Rear - Hankook Evo S1 255 35 18

Very comfy and quiet compared to the Bridgestones that were on. Apparently the side walls are soft, but I've not seen any disadvantage or that. Good rim protector too, not quite as good as the ones on the Bridgestones though.

Buy again? Definitely

Edited by DonB

Front and rear

195 65 15

Vredestein Hi-trac

Lasted 40,000+ miles

Longest lasting tyre ever? They where on the car when I bought it at 107k and went with it when I sold it at 150k (although I did have a different set of wheels and tyres on for around 3k miles). Great in wet and dry (and snow surprisingly). No aquaplaning, very quiet.

Buy again: yes

Bridgestone potenza re050

225/40/18 255/35/18

Front and rear

3k miles

Lost pressure, rode like an ox cart, generally sucked, suitable only for bonfires or tyre swings.

Edited by ROB1986

Sorry Dan but this is exactly what I wanted to avoid on this thread no hearsay just facts

Sorry Blair!

All round: Fullrun

Size: 235/35/18

Cost: Come with car

Miles lasted: 5000 but should have been replaced after about 1000.

View: No grip in the wet at all. Hardly any grip in the dry.

Buy again: Never. But they were budget so...

Edited by Blackadder

Just put some Conti's Contact Sport 3 on the rear, wow, i have grip in the wet now!

The Diamondback's on the rear split all the way round the edge, including an 18" split on the inside of one of them!

Serious naff tyres!

Fk 452s superb no noise good grip in wet or dry cheap too

Seconded. Using 235/35/18 on the rear - have used them on other cars and they were a good mid range tyre so I thought I'd try them on the BM. They do the job very well.

On the front I'm currently using Cerruti ditch-finders in 225/40/18 and if I can just give one piece of advice for anyone it's NEVER buy them, they're bloody awful and in the wet they're just plain dangerous. They'll be coming off ASAP.

All Round - Pirrelli P Zero Rossos. 225-£110 255-£160 (at the time about 2 year ago)

Grip- excellent can't really fault them in wet or dry.

Miles- i had only done 10k in my 330 and still had plenty of tread left.

Buy again: yes as i have them on the ST.

Bridgestone potenza re050

225/40/18 255/35/18

Front and rear

3k miles

Lost pressure, rode like an ox cart, generally sucked, suitable only for bonfires or tyre swings.

quote rob 1986

Was the ride problem specific to the tyre or was it that you were now on big rims and low profiles?

Rear: lasa Imputus Sport

255/35/18

£45 each

Miles lasted: aprox 600 would have been a 1000 but I left the rear arms loose which destroyed the inner edges

These tyres are great very good grip wet & dry espc considering the bhp/torque they have to deal with. They would last much longer if I didn't smoke them everywhere!!

I'd defo buy them again

car was supplied with b/stone potenza`s(re40) nearly new all round....not bad grip BUT tramelined all over the place.....had 2 punctures in space of a week!!!...swapped all out for continantal sport contact 3`s.....BIGGG differance...tramlining dissappeared,car stuck to road in wet n dry...totally different drive.....so its conti`s all round for me :P

chhers all

Seconded. Using 235/35/18 on the rear - have used them on other cars and they were a good mid range tyre so I thought I'd try them on the BM. They do the job very well.

On the front I'm currently using Cerruti ditch-finders in 225/40/18 and if I can just give one piece of advice for anyone it's NEVER buy them, they're bloody awful and in the wet they're just plain dangerous. They'll be coming off ASAP.

Lost the budget specs up front and replaced with a pair of 452's to complete the set all round. Really happy with their performance; no tramlining, no excess road noise, good grip wet and dry. Decent turn in too, which is more than can be said for what came off :D

330 Ci mostly motorway and some A class blasts.

Size ; Front 225/40/18 Rear 255/35/18

Front - Bridgestone potenza re050A lasted about 20000, dry grip very good, wet grip average. Noise good, no tramlining until almost worn out.

Replaced with Goodyear eagle F1 Asymmetrics 2, have seen light will never go back, excellent wet and dry grip, noise very good. Only had them a few thousand miles so far.

Rears - Dunlop sport maxx, on car when I got it, grip was good wet and dry, lasted not bad until a pothole last winter destroyed one so can't comment on wear.

Replaced with Bridgestone RE040, very similar to the RE050A performance wise, seems to have worn slightly quicker, I have around 3-4mm left after 10000 miles but as they are rears thats to be expected.

Without a doubt I will be replacing with Goodyears. All round better tyre than bridgestone.

Both tyres have good rim protection.

Edited by 3thirtyseeeye