Blair

The Tyre Topic

Tidied. If people have a problem that I feel this may be useful information PM me otherwise shut the f**k up with irrelevant comments. This thread is purely for people's experiences of certain brands of tyre on their cars as it may help newbies to see other experiences. If you don't like what's in the thread then don't comment. Simple. B)

Edited by Mikey

Have nearly new Vredestein Ultrac Sessanta all round on my new ACS wheels.

Immediately notice a positive difference over the Bridgestone front tyres.

They're quiet and comfortable and feel like they grip nicely.

Also, the tread pattern is very cool! :P

What about Sunny tyres would anybody recommend them, also can I replace 255/35/18's with 245/40/18

No on both counts. Sunny are poor tyres and if you replace the tyre with different size profile it will knock your speedo out slightly.

How bad would it be ?

All depends on the difference in size of the tyre. The speedo works on specific rolling radius designed for the particular car. Making the radius larger or smaller than it is designed to be will knock the speedo out. Usually it marginal by a few mphs but it won't be accurate.

Edited by Mikey

All depends on the difference in size of the tyre. The speedo works on specific rolling radius designed for the particular car. Making the radius larger or smaller than it is designed to be will knock the speedo out. Usually it marginal by a few mphs but it won't be accurate.

Cheers Mikey, think I ll be sticking to 1 or 2mph below speed limit for cameras etc then just in case, whats the OEM tyre size for 18 MV1s ?

If you check www.willtheyfit.com it will tell you the difference in your speedo from original wheels to aftermarket wheels.

EDIT: It says yours will be 1.09% out Ricky. Remember though, speedos can overread by up to 10% so it may just be putting you closer to the true speed (or it could work against you). But 1.09% really isn't anything to worry about.

Edited by Gaz

If you check www.willtheyfit.com it will tell you the difference in your speedo from original wheels to aftermarket wheels.

EDIT: It says yours will be 1.09% out Ricky. Remember though, speedos can overread by up to 10% so it may just be putting you closer to the true speed (or it could work against you). But 1.09% really isn't anything to worry about.

Cheers Gaz, I ll just stick to 1 or 2 mpg below when there are cameras and I ll be fine :)

Thank you for looking for me though.

i put rear dunlop sport 2000's on the rear as soon as i bought it sep 2008 at 40k miles to match the fronts. £165 each i seem to remember. just changed to falken 452's last weekend, the dunlops having lasted until 62k miles. mostly london stop start or motorway plus two 3k mile trips into france but i like to hoof it a bit when solo and out in the sticks. good in the dry, not overly impressed in the wet but not terrible, just have to pay attention.

the 452's were through blackcircles and cost £305 the pair. i'll let you know what i think once they've done a bit.

Edited by f90x

Front: Full Run

Size: 225/40/18

Cost: were on the car already

Miles lasted: 17000 and still have 5mm tread.

View: Horrible noise, terrible wet performance. Not sure what the tyre is made out of as IT WILL NOT DIE. 17k and still has 5-6mm of tread. Crazy.

Rear: Vredstien Ultra Sentra (sp)

Size: 255/35/18

Cost: £120 each

Miles lasted: 6000 and still have 6mm

View: Seem pretty perfect, have a lovely tread pattern too.

Front: Full Run

Size: 225/40/18

Cost: were on the car already

Miles lasted: 17000 and still have 5mm tread.

View: Horrible noise, terrible wet performance. Not sure what the tyre is made out of as IT WILL NOT DIE. 17k and still has 5-6mm of tread. Crazy.

Lesson learned. Fullruns are utter Pap ;)

Front & Rear: Falken HS439 Eurowinter

Bought for £580 for the set, not fitted (staggered)

Got them as I needed them to drive in Germany in winter. They have been great so far. Not really driven on much snow, played in a car park and it didn't get stuck,

They handled fairly well, kept the car well planted at over 100 in driving rain on the Autobahns - no issues to report and I would definitely buy them next year.

in the spirit of adding info to this thread:

Michelin Pilot Primacy 225/45/17 91Y

These were on my 330i when i bought it. By far the best tyre ive ever had on a car. Never let go, ever, come rain or shine, they just keep hanging on. Good levels of road noise and decent comfort levels. However I'll be trying continentals next simply because the michelins are just so much more expensive.