Blair

The Tyre Topic

Michelin pilot ps2

Front & rear 235/35/19

Cost £220 a corner IIRC

Mileage lasted, too early to say as I've had them over a year and only covered 1k so far.

Fantastic in the dry, can't complain at all. But feel they aren't so good in the wet (they do obviously have boundaries). And terrible in winter as it is a summer tyre. Road noise isn't too bad but do feel the car tramlines a lot even after replacing all bushes and front wishbones alignment etc (but could just be crappy uneven Scottish roads).

Edited by Aly

• Front - Pirelli Pzero Rosso 225/40/18.
  • ok wet grip, but very good in the dry!
  • excellant wear rate!
  • buy again - no, purely as i think the michelin is slightly better in the wet!

• Rear - Michelin Pilot Sport 255/35/18.
  • great wet and dry grip!
  • so far good wear rate (only 2000mile done!).
  • buy again - Yes! defiantly.

Edited by Rich330ci

maxxis m35 on the standard 195/65/15 rims that came with the car, they have done a good 15 thousand miles since my best mate had them fitted about this time last year when it was still his car.

76333.2_1.873195E-03_M-35.jpg

I have only had the car a few weeks so i havent been majorly pushing it as its worlds apart from the car i owned before (loud low diff welded mental jap import mk1 mx5) but they seem pretty good despite being down to about 2mm on the back and about 4 or 5 on the front, ride comfort is perfect (although this may be because i havent got big wheels, yet) and road noise is very minimal, the only time i noticed any kind of grip loss was when it was very wet on thursday evening and it had a bit of a wobble coming off a roundabout, but im putting this down to the low tread level, ill either change them (if i have to) or hold out on getting a set of bigger rims for it, as i plan to make it look a bit more sporty than it does in its standard trim, eventually anyway.

Edited by clarkey1984

Front/Back: KUMHO KU39

Size: 225/45/17

Cost: £320 for the set

Miles lasted: N/A, 300 miles so far

View: Not impressed at all!! I don't know what convinced me to go for these and not the more expensive tyres I have always used. So far they seem to be a false economy. The car feels too mushy and the noise is good but not perfect.

Buy Again: Based on reviews and hoping that they will bed-in I find them good value but if they do not improve the economy is not worth it.

Bridgestone potenza re050 run flats

225/40/18 front

255/35/18 rear

Cost: brand new on the car from purchase

Miles lasted: N/A, 4000 miles so far

View: Not that good, not sure if the bushes/tracking might be a cause but tramlines badly, so much that when crossing thick white road lines the car skits about almost dangerously! Grip is fairly good otherwise.

Buy Again: No, way too expensive for what they are at £870 for the 4 on camskill plus fitting and delivery!!

Had tramlining problems 225 45 17 all round.

Pirelli P6000 on front.

Michelin Pilot Premacy on rear.

Changed front ot rear, Problen solved.

These were on the car when I bought it so I am not impressed with Pirelli. Also tyre noise has dissapeared.

Question ? (Long time since owning rear wheel drive car)As my tyres are same size all round, which wears quicker, fronr or rear?

Have more confidence with car now.

Front and rear: Pirelli P6000s

Size: 195/45/16

Cost: Came with the car when I bought it

Miles lasted: 3000 miles (could've done another 10k easily)

View: Really awful tyres, the car understeers so heavily with them and they give virtually no grip in the wet, they're not even that good in the dry. The worst thing about them though is the HUGE amount of tyre roar, these tyres are so noisey that you could be mistaken for having shot wheel bearings!

Buy Again: No!

Front and rear: Pirelli PZero Rossos

Size 225/35/19 + 235/35/19

Cost: £140 (after discount)

Miles lasted: 2000 although had plenty of tread when I took them off.

View: Best tyres I've ever used, awesome grip in the wet and dry, very confidence inspiring!

Buy again: Yes

Ok might get some flaming here but some Rotalla's ive had fitted to my current rims & my old blingers are very good VFM.

I've had fullruns which are THE worst tyres on the planet as are kendas etc,

however these rotalla's that retail about 80 quid a corner for 235 35 19's are pretty good, there not very noisy & have grip in the wet. ok they're no Michelin pilot sports but for the money & if your into big alloys & know how to control your car in the wet then i'd say they're for you.

HTH

Jay.

Weird innit, theres probably people who hate rotalla's but i found Kenda's realy dangerous in the wet, no control whatsoever, but they were 18" non staggered

i'm running 235/35/18 Rotella F107's front and rear on my audi and they are without question the most dangerous tyres i've had on a car, even with four wheel drive and approximately three thousand tons of Audi A4 pushing them into the tarmac, in the wet I can get all four wheels to break traction without being a tool. I also have Rotella F105 215/45/17 on the back of my 318 and they too are ditchfinders of the highest order, in fairness to them the car has very little weight over the rear so that wont help.

As you say they are very cheap, and they last very well, i've done over 10000 miles in the Audi on they and they look new, i think they may well live long enough to see the sun expand and engulf the earth as the solarsystem dies, they are that hard.

If you don't mind driving slowly and want a cheap tyre they are fine, just don't try to carry speed in a corner in the wet, (in the words of JC) you will go through the pearly gates, backwards and on fire.

Edited by Dr T

goodyear eagle f1 asymetric 2

£600 matching set correct dimensions and speed rating

made sure they were E marked made in germany

you should confirm before buying as tyres for use in asia/austalia etc have different compound not suitable for europe

bet alot of you looking at your tyres for the e mark lool

Edited by GPP

Uniroyal Rainsport 2 ,

By far the best wet weather grip I have ever experienced, fantastic in Dry also.

have not had them long enough to comment on wear but they seem to be holding up very well.

Rim protectors.

Tramlining non-existant

Edited by e46318ise

having only ever used conti sports and pzeros, i was convinced by my tyre man to try the new Nankhang NS2's

and im very impressed!

brilliant tyre, grip in the dry and predictable in the wet.

will buy again!

on another note ive had bridgestone potenzas runflats and i hated them!!

Really handy thread so thought I would contribute:

Fullrun tyres in general:

Lethal, I had two blowouts and a puncture within TWO WEEKS on 18" wheels (different car)

Please consider your health if you insist on buying them, truly are completely irresponsible company.

Anyway, on BMWs, tyres that haven't already been rated to death:

Front & Rear

Make: "Fullways"

Size: 18x8" IIRC 235 40 18

Cost: Came on a wheel & tyre package

Miles lasted: Sold car about 8000 miles later and couldn't see any notice in difference in tread depth from new!

View: Research showed that these tyres were made by same company as arch enemy fullrun, however they proved to be reliable. Were fine in the dry, but a bit slippery in the wet. Jus thad to remain concious of this and they were ok. Nothing more.

Front

Make: Dunlop Sport Maxx

Size: 235 40 18

Cost: £136 each

Miles: Not worn much yet and done about 6000 miles so pretty low tread wear

View: Faultless, would definitely buy again. No understeer, no tramlining, no road noise and nice look too.

***edit***. Still going strong some 20k later but they do tramline and are renowned for being hard sidewalled.

I have just bought Nankang NS2's for the rear so will update when i get them fitted. VERY cheap at less than £170 delivered and google showed good reviews. We shall see.

Edit. Great purchase. The rears cost £175 delivered for the pair and they don't seem to be any different to the bridgestones they replaced, no road noise and they also seem to take the harshness out of the ride over bumps. Great result. "Nankang NS2 Ultrasport 255/35/18

***edit*** rears lasted 18k And we're barely 50% worn lol however my car developed a droning at 30 to 40mph recently. Thought it was a wheel bearing but turned out to be the tyres going out of shape. With the car jacked up and the wheels powered, you could visibly see this. Have gone for kuhmo replacements which seem quiet as a mouse compared!

Edited by Knuckle

Cooper Zeon XS2

235/35/19 front

265/30/19 back

Cost from local garage fitted

Front £130

Back £160

Grip, excellent in dry, even better in wet, very happy with them, road noise similar to Goodyear F1's on before

Wear, to new to tell

Just bored at work thinking about how good the KUMHO'S have held up after i inspected them yesterday...

Updated on my original post:

Front & Back: Kumho KU39

Size: 225/35/18 & 255/40/18

Cost: £400 for all 4 - Camskill

Miles lasted: N/A - Driven 15,000 so far

View: I did a lot of homework on tyres and decided i'd go for these, after having a good experience with the old Kumho KU31's. When I initially installed these tyres the first 300~ was up and down. But after they bed in these tyres feel great! Dry grip - Excellent, Wet grip - Very good, Feedback - Excellet. They make the car feel very balanced and the wear rate is better than expected after 15,000 miles and there is still over 5mm tread even after various wheelspins and abuse! Road noise is low/medium - Older road surfaces you can hear them a bit but on a smooth road they are very quiet.

Buy Again: Yes.

Edited by PeterH

Rears - Matador MP46 Hectorra 2

Size - 265/30/19

Cost - Currently £60.60 each from Camskill, total cost with fitting £157.18.

Miles Lasted - 1000 so far and still got the manufacturers line on!

View - Bit of a cheesy name but not a bad piece of rubber from the Continental stable, no drama in the wet even under duress, quiet ride with 34 psi and does not look overtyred for a big boot, sitting on 9J rims with a 35 offset.

Buy again - Maybe too early to say but so far yes, and would recommend to the guys running wider rears.

Edited by robocoupe

Accelera Phi 215/40/18 all round.

Know they are budgets but at £350ish for a full set I had read some good reviews + had some recommendations so thought I would give it a go. Checked that they were E marked before purchase, which they are.

Very impressed so far. Don't really drive like a looney but they offer good grip in dry and seem ok in wet (not been really wet since I got them).

Road noise is ok. Do a bit of motorway driving and if anything, they are quieter than previous Bridgestones.

If they carry on this way I will buy again.

Haida HD921

225/40 18

£206 for a set of 4 fitted and balanced.

Another set of budget tyres.

Been spot on, road noise is very reasonable, grip both wet and dry is good.

I only ever push the car in the dry and these have been spot on, plenty of grip.

Not saying they wouldn't be ok if pushed in the wet, just that I haven't tried it.

I will defo buy again up to now.