Blair

The Tyre Topic

It's for the wife's car not mine :)

and that effects the tyre choice how? :lol:

as others have said, lower profile tyres arent needed, they only look good if the car is slammed to the floor & usually used to avoid clearance issues of the taller sidewalls fitted to MV's from the factory.

Just to finish my dislike of the Vredestein Sessentas: I bought some in September, and I think I fitted them early this year (either way, they've had around 5-6 months of use due to winter tyres), and they're down to only 3mm already. (Under the legal minimum for my EU trip)

Won't be buying them again!

Either Dunlop Sport Maxx or something Bridgestone for me next I think

Edited by TriggerFish

Goodyear Eagle F1 Asymmetric2. 225/40x17 91Y.

Vast improvement over Conti SC5s. No tramlining, far quieter, better in the wet. These are currently selling at less than £70 per tyre (although Contis aren't very much more). Both Goodyears and Contis have dropped from over £100 in the last year. At these prices I can't see why anyone would buy budgets.

I'll be interested to see how long they last. I got 20k+ out of the Contis. Even if i only get 10k out of the Goodyears, I'll probably stick with them - definitely won't go back to Contis now.

Edited by StuBeeDoo

As a big fan of Conti 5`s I will follow your findings with the F1`s. I have just removed my Conti winters (yeah I couldn't be arsed to change em sooner lol) & I have fitted Goodyear efficient grips.

I picked these up locally for 40 quid each with between 6-7mm left on them. Feel ok so far but only done 30 miles with em.

Bumping this thread to see how you lot and your tyres are doing a few months on. Winter is approaching and I have Sessanta's on the rear with 4mm tread and Goodyear F1's upfront with 5/6mm on.

Bought the car with them on so don't know any different, seems fine though!

So on mine I have ...
Front
225/40/18 - Michelin Pilot sport 3
Rear
255/35/18 - Goodyear Eagle F1 asymetric 2

lovely set of tyres but not overly great for economy, my mate who owns a tyre firm thinks they are costing me around 6-10% in fuel economy? switching to winter tyres around mid november so bt the time my main wheels go into storage, the above tyres will be about ready to be changed (well they wont but it will be economical to do so), I have decided on uniroyal rainsport 3 all round which seem a good balance of grip levels and economy.

I use pirelli p zero around I find them OK but no one else using them for some reason?

I did like them until we had them on my wifes Ibiza Sport and my good god did they lose their shape annoyingly with 5mm of tread on the rear and 4mm on the front, replaced with Hankook Ventus V12, until that point it sounded like 4 wheel bearings had gone on her car, tyres always held pressure and the correct pressure at that, apparently they was an issue with Pirelli P Zero and my mate changed many many sets with 4-6mm remaining. Wont be using again (apparently the issue did not extend into the nero/ rosso range of which I have no experience)

Edited by Chrissyp83

So on mine I have ...

Front

Rear

lovely set of tyres but not overly great for economy, my mate who owns a tyre firm thinks they are costing me around 6-10% in fuel economy? switching to winter tyres around mid november so bt the time my main wheels go into storage, the above tyres will be about ready to be changed (well they wont but it will be economical to do so), I have decided on uniroyal rainsport 3 all round which seem a good balance of grip levels and economy.

Interesting, which tyres does he say are bad for economy? Both of them?

So on mine I have ...

Front

Rear

Its the goodyears really tbh as below

Michelin - C (so not too bad)

Good year - E (pretty poop lol)

so as a combination comfort and road noise are great but combined are not great. Im switching to Uniroyal which have rave reviews and can not see any reason not too, Michelin for the size I dont feel move water quick enough for my liking due to their width, thats why I like the uniroyal good dry grip and obviously very very good in the wet

Edited by Chrissyp83

So on mine I have ...

Front

Rear

so as a combination comfort and road noise are great but combined are not great. Im switching to Uniroyal which have rave reviews and can not see any reason not too, Michelin for the size I dont feel move water quick enough for my liking due to their width, thats why I like the uniroyal good dry grip and obviously very very good in the wet

Weird.

My last pair of Eagle F1's had 7k on them when I sold the wheels and they had 4mm left. That was on the rear too.

Also had Eagle F1's on other cars and they've last well.

EDIT sorry economy as in fuel consumption not longevity. I get 30MPG out of my clubby and thats never had anything else on it so no complaints from me.

Edited by ben.embrey

So on mine I have ...

Front

Rear

Weird.

My last pair of Eagle F1's had 7k on them when I sold the wheels and they had 4mm left. That was on the rear too.

EDIT sorry economy as in fuel consumption not longevity. I get 30MPG out of my clubby and thats never had anything else on it so no complaints from me.

Not sure I get what you think is weird Ben?

So on mine I have ...

Front

Rear

Weird.

I thought it was weird because I thought you were complaining about how long the Eagle F1's lasted on your car, because they lasted ages on mine!

So on mine I have ...

Front

Rear

Weird.

I thought it was weird because I thought you were complaining about how long the Eagle F1's lasted on your car, because they lasted ages on mine!

Not at all mate if anything tey have done loadsa miles and still have 4mm on - ive done 10k on them and i estimate they have done approx 5k before me with previous owner so 15K in total, no my gripe them is the fuel rating is fairly poor so when I switch to uniroyal be interesting to see if I find the predicted 6% my mate is talking about