Blair

The Tyre Topic

So on mine I have ...

Front

225/40/18 - Michelin Pilot sport 3

Rear

255/35/18 - Goodyear Eagle F1 asymetric 2

lovely set of tyres but not overly great for economy, my mate who owns a tyre firm thinks they are costing me around 6-10% in fuel economy? switching to winter tyres around mid november so bt the time my main wheels go into storage, the above tyres will be about ready to be changed (well they wont but it will be economical to do so), I have decided on uniroyal rainsport 3 all round which seem a good balance of grip levels and economy.

Interesting, which tyres does he say are bad for economy? Both of them?

Its the goodyears really tbh as below

Michelin - C (so not too bad)

Good year - E (pretty poop lol)

so as a combination comfort and road noise are great but combined are not great. Im switching to Uniroyal which have rave reviews and can not see any reason not too, Michelin for the size I dont feel move water quick enough for my liking due to their width, thats why I like the uniroyal good dry grip and obviously very very good in the wet

Weird.

My last pair of Eagle F1's had 7k on them when I sold the wheels and they had 4mm left. That was on the rear too.

Also had Eagle F1's on other cars and they've last well.

EDIT sorry economy as in fuel consumption not longevity. I get 30MPG out of my clubby and thats never had anything else on it so no complaints from me.

Not sure I get what you think is weird Ben?

I thought it was weird because I thought you were complaining about how long the Eagle F1's lasted on your car, because they lasted ages on mine!

Not at all mate if anything tey have done loadsa miles and still have 4mm on - ive done 10k on them and i estimate they have done approx 5k before me with previous owner so 15K in total, no my gripe them is the fuel rating is fairly poor so when I switch to uniroyal be interesting to see if I find the predicted 6% my mate is talking about
Can't say Chrissy but I thought my fuel use while I had them was spot on. But yeah uniroyals slightly better fuel rating.

Sent from my Note 4 using tapatalk

So on mine I have ...

Front

225/40/18 - Michelin Pilot sport 3

Rear

255/35/18 - Goodyear Eagle F1 asymetric 2

lovely set of tyres but not overly great for economy, my mate who owns a tyre firm thinks they are costing me around 6-10% in fuel economy? switching to winter tyres around mid november so bt the time my main wheels go into storage, the above tyres will be about ready to be changed (well they wont but it will be economical to do so), I have decided on uniroyal rainsport 3 all round which seem a good balance of grip levels and economy.

Interesting, which tyres does he say are bad for economy? Both of them?

Its the goodyears really tbh as below

Michelin - C (so not too bad)

Good year - E (pretty poop lol)

so as a combination comfort and road noise are great but combined are not great. Im switching to Uniroyal which have rave reviews and can not see any reason not too, Michelin for the size I dont feel move water quick enough for my liking due to their width, thats why I like the uniroyal good dry grip and obviously very very good in the wet

Weird.

My last pair of Eagle F1's had 7k on them when I sold the wheels and they had 4mm left. That was on the rear too.

Also had Eagle F1's on other cars and they've last well.

EDIT sorry economy as in fuel consumption not longevity. I get 30MPG out of my clubby and thats never had anything else on it so no complaints from me.

Not sure I get what you think is weird Ben?

I thought it was weird because I thought you were complaining about how long the Eagle F1's lasted on your car, because they lasted ages on mine!

Not at all mate if anything tey have done loadsa miles and still have 4mm on - ive done 10k on them and i estimate they have done approx 5k before me with previous owner so 15K in total, no my gripe them is the fuel rating is fairly poor so when I switch to uniroyal be interesting to see if I find the predicted 6% my mate is talking about
Can't say Chrissy but I thought my fuel use while I had them was spot on. But yeah uniroyals slightly better fuel rating.

Sent from my Note 4 using tapatalk

I have never had uniroyals before but I have had a fair sets of michelin pilot sports but this is my first set of eagle f1s ... like many things life guess it all comes down to personal preference.

And

I am certainly not a brand snob either my mate just fitted maxxis victra sport vs01 to the front of the cupra and I have certainly been very impressed though again the fuel rating isnt as good as the Michelin Pilot Sport (which were also on the Leon before) and we have noticed the mpg has gone down by approx 2mpg (which equates to approx 6%) similar mpg labels to the Goodyear eagle f1

So is it time to discuss Winter tyres?

I'm thinking Vredistein snowtrack 5's as I can get a set of 4 from camskill for about £230 and both my front Pirelli P6000's are crap and worn out. The rear P7's are okay though and still have 6mm on them.

I intend to get some 17" or 18" alloys in the spring so the 16" standard wheels can stay as winters.

Edited by Stonesie

Doesn't it need to be down to 7c and lower to see any benefit ?

Doubt i'll bother and just get the 4x4 out :)

Edited by dunk1

I probably won't fit them immediately, but having them ready before stocks fall and prices rise sounds like a plan.

Update

Just ordered a set of Vradestein Snowtrack 5's in 205/55/16 H for £215 + postage (£228.96) from Camskill... The local tyre place wanted £100 a corner for goodyear ultragrip 9 (£260 from Camskill + £10 each fitting = £100 more in the pocket)

I was going to go for the Michelin Crossclimate but they will only be used as winters so I may aswell get proper winters and save some cash to put towards some nice alloys for next summer.

Edited by Stonesie

I have Goodyear eagle F1's on my 120d. Nice tyre but the sidewall is a bit soft.

I'm now looking for a set of 4 tyres for my Clubsport as I have just bought another set of original wheels from a member here.

Anyone using the Pirelli P-Zero Nero's ?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I have Goodyear eagle F1's on my 120d. Nice tyre but the sidewall is a bit soft.

I'm now looking for a set of 4 tyres for my Clubsport as I have just bought another set of original wheels from a member here.

Anyone using the Pirelli P-Zero Nero's ?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I had these on one of my DC5s and thought they were awful, just not much grip. I rate eagle F1s if you don't want a soft side wall go for the XL's.

Very interested in this, don't know what to replace my rears with!

Currently on Vred's Sessanta's but getting down to 3mm or less now, with winter approaching it wont be long till they need doing.

I have Goodyear F1's upfront with 5mm tread so tempted to go for F1's at the back too, but I would benefit from a better fuel rating also. Done 10k in the last 4 months.

Anyone got any suggestions? WIll invesitage Vred's again, Michelin and maybe even Kumho or Hankook as I hear they are good value. 

Cheers guys!

tempted to go for F1's at the back too, but I would benefit from a better fuel rating also. Done 10k in the last 4 months.

My F1s are rated C for fuel.  There aren't many that better that.  IMO the fuel rating doesn't mean a lot in the real world.  I didn't notice any difference when I fitted the F1s to replace CSC5s, which were E rated. 

Very interested in this, don't know what to replace my rears with!

Currently on Vred's Sessanta's but getting down to 3mm or less now, with winter approaching it wont be long till they need doing.

I have Goodyear F1's upfront with 5mm tread so tempted to go for F1's at the back too, but I would benefit from a better fuel rating also. Done 10k in the last 4 months.

Anyone got any suggestions? WIll invesitage Vred's again, Michelin and maybe even Kumho or Hankook as I hear they are good value. 

Cheers guys!

vred vortis are really good very progressive and brilliant in the wet ... If you can get down to Hayes universal tyres are a main dealer for vortis  :afro:

On ‎6‎/‎21‎/‎2015 at 16:13, TriggerFish said:

Just to finish my dislike of the Vredestein Sessentas: I bought some in September, and I think I fitted them early this year (either way, they've had around 5-6 months of use due to winter tyres), and they're down to only 3mm already. (Under the legal minimum for my EU trip)

Won't be buying them again!

Either Dunlop Sport Maxx or something Bridgestone for me next I think

I've got Dunlop sport maxx fitted all round, no complaints with regard to grip, but they're probably not a good choice if you're looking for tyres which will be long lasting. think I managed about 12k on the rears with my last set.

I've done about 10k so far I'd guess and they're hovering around the 4mm marker. Nearly 6k of that was in 3 weeks across Europe, so easy going motorway mileage. Not too bad really. 

11 hours ago, coop said:

I've got Dunlop sport maxx fitted all round, no complaints with regard to grip, but they're probably not a good choice if you're looking for tyres which will be long lasting. think I managed about 12k on the rears with my last set.

wish i got 12k,i get around 8k on rears,fronts still got 4-5 mm after 14 month

From what I've been reading I think I'm going to try and get a Goodyear Eagle F1 version 2. I have  eagle F1's up front (1st gen)

So I could work towards replacing both rears with the new version I guess. Bloody punctures making things uneven.... 

7 hours ago, 330CDT said:

From what I've been reading I think I'm going to try and get a Goodyear Eagle F1 version 2. I have  eagle F1's up front (1st gen)

So I could work towards replacing both rears with the new version I guess. Bloody punctures making things uneven.... 

7 hours ago, 330CDT said:

i have gy eagles as 2 on my rears(e46),but just recently,on my focus st-2 i have went from gy eagles as2 to uniroyal rainsport 3,what a great tyre,and naturally in the wet they are great,i have 225-40-18 on the st and 4 tyres are only £227 delivered from ears tyres,plus £40 fitted at my favourite tyre fitter,makes them gerat value,£80 a set cheaper than the gy and 300% better in the wet,my focus has 302bhp and i can now drive it again in the wet,and lets face it,wet is what we get most the year.

Just replaced my rears at 2.5mm after 35k miles (mostly motorway) arrowspeed n1000 255/35/18 £83.99 fitted. Took a punt on them last time as I needed them done immediately as the ply on my old tyres suddenly started showing an hour before a long trip (only on the inside 1" can't recall what tyres they were) and that's all the local place had in stock. A wee bit noisy but have had no issues at all. That's bloody good longevity on a 330cd. Still got 6mm left on fronts - kenda Kaiser 225/40/18. They've done over 40k in 2 1/2 yrs with no bother at all. 

I dont hoon it around like a loony but I don't drive like miss daisy either. 

35,000 from the rears :blink:

I don't hoon around much in my 330 vert and I've got less than half that out of the Avon ZZ5's on the rear