rev4turbomonster

Possible Purchase But Some Help Needed If Possible

Hi guys

I currently drive a toyota mr2 turbo and am looking at a bmw 330 convertible to replace this with. The one I have seen that is interested in doing a deal is an se auto looks nice and decent mileage. The questions I have are:-

The car has the earlier sat nav with the casette on the right hand side. Is it just plug and play to upgrade to the widescreen version? Also would I gain anything other than a bigger screen by doing this?

I would also like to add bluetooth handsfree to the car if I get it and would ideally like to do this through the standard headunit if possible. What would I need to do this and how much is it likely to cost?

Next is bodykit the car is an se how much can I get the msport kit for and how difficult is it to fit and what else does the m sport have over the se?

Wheels is the last thing to bombard you with obvious choice is the mv2 from the m sport but what other choices are there available. i want to keep the car fairly subtle but not like everything else out there.

Sorry for the bombardment of questions on my first thread. Looks like a great forum you have here and hope to settle in and start giving back to the forum once I have learnt my way around the car.

thanks a lot

Matt

M sport bodykit - around £200 for the front bumper, £150 for the rear? Side skirts, I have no clue. Fitting is easy but I think the SE front bumper has different bumper brackets or something to the M sport one, so you will need a complete M sport front bumper to fit it.

Wheels - I think we need pics of the car to see which wheels will suit it.

Buy an MSport it sounds like your going to spend a fortune turning an SE into an MSport

+1 there's minimal difference these days between the M sport and SE , i'd go for an M-sport as you'll spend £1k at least and all the faffing about with the bodykit, then theres the seats/sills/steering wheel etc.

Just a no brainer really.

I take your point the reason for potentially getting this se is because he will take my car for a good price on part exchange. It has the sport steering wheel and the interior looks perfect it is literally the kit wheels and widescreen sat nav with Bluetooth would be perfect then. How different are the se side skirts and m sport side skirts can get the kit for 500 pounds so not to bad the car is a 2000 model in silver

More than likely will do

Body it 500 plus 300 to paint and fit

Mv2 wheels 500 ?

Only questions left regards sat nav is it plug and play to upgrade to a widescreen unit and what is the best way to add Bluetooth handsfree can I do it through the haunt or am I bet to get a parrot kit

Cheers for the help guys

Yeah the deal is fair the 2 is modified so never easy to value against other cars. To be fair the price of this car compared to an msport based on what I value the 2 at means spending the money on making it look like and msport would mean that it still works out cheaper than buying a vert msport. Just the query regarding the stereo and bluetooth to get answered and I will then be pretty much sold on the idea

Is the good price on part exchange as much as you will spend putting a sport kit on? If not you're making a false economy by relying on the p/x price to make your decision.

Haven't got any pics of the car that I can post i'm afraid. Spec is as follows

tiptronic auto gearbox

stunning silver body work.

unmarked black power hood

Every optional extra fitted to this car!

climate control

4 electric windows

power fold heated mirrors

sat nav

auto dimming mirror

cd multichanger

black leather seats

piano black trim

xenon lights

front fog lights

rear parking sensors

tv (with tv in motion fitted so works when car is moving)

electric seats

heated seats

m sport steering wheel with controls

tax and moted.

full bmw service history.

17" m sport wheels

cooling system done (needs replacing at 90k) dont buy one that hasnt had it done.

Just renewed power steering pump and both aux belt and a/c belt.

drives great everything works spot on!

up at £5300

If I were to sell my car in the open market I would be looking for around 5k but no one would pay that unless they saw the car and fell in love with it which is what I did when I bought it 3 years ago

Deal is my car + £400

so although I would want 5k for mine in a sale I would accept offers around 4.5k

The cheapest msport convertible I have seen with sat nav and the right colour paint and leather is £6300 but will not take mine in part exchange which has been the same story from many dealers.

My view is this if I do this deal realistically I would say that the car cost me 4.9k add the bodykit £800 painted and fitted a set of wheels £400 widescreen sat nav £250 add in a decent parrot kit if I can't get bluetooth to work with a bmw module £200 probably the same price for the bmw module

anyway total spemt would then be £6550 so a little more expensive than buying an msport admittedly which should mean it isn't worth doing. However I need my car and having to sell it then find a replacement would take time and it could take a while to shift my mr2 the market seems to be slow on them. So for an extra £200 to have a car that has the spec I want and leaves me not having to rush to find a car appeals to me. If that makes sense happy to listen to other suggestions though. The other thing is I could do the planned upgrades over time when funds permit. I haven't really got the extra money to go and buy the msport right now.

cheers

Matt

Edited by rev4turbomonster

id hold out for the sport, theres the suspension, and Alloys to consider also

seems like a lot of work to change over

with regard to the sat nav, buy without, and get a dynavin installed, this will do everything you want and more

i love my sport, a lad at work has just bought a SE Coupe, just dont realise how different they look next to each other

id hold out for the sport, theres the suspension, and Alloys to consider also

seems like a lot of work to change over

with regard to the sat nav, buy without, and get a dynavin installed, this will do everything you want and more

i love my sport, a lad at work has just bought a SE Coupe, just dont realise how different they look next to each other

True however 95% of us on here have changed suspension and alloys so depends on the OPs plans

Dynavin has a higher spec I will agree however if you are an OEM person (I am) it doesnt look OEM enough IMO of course (def better than single or double dins though)

They will do as yours has the folding roof :P haha

That is definately what I want with this car Ricky I want it to feel and look oem to be honest I like the idea of a softer ride that the se would probably give but look like the msport

Coupes and verts IIRC all had sport suspension from factory so ride will be same between M Sport and SE, OEM+ FTW :)

True however 95% of us on here have changed suspension and alloys so depends on the OPs plans

Dynavin has a higher spec I will agree however if you are an OEM person (I am) it doesnt look OEM enough IMO of course (def better than single or double dins though)

They will do as yours has the folding roof :P haha

now thats funny

i think the OP plans seem a lot of work but as he said he has a modified MR2 so he's obviously not shy to a bit of work or modifications and may like the excitement and thrills you get from building a car from scratch and seeing how it looks when you get it and what its transformed to 6 months later

may be a bit more money in the long run but a lot more satisfaction if your looking for a project

just a thought B)

i think the OP plans seem a lot of work but as he said he has a modified MR2 so he's obviously not shy to a bit of work or modifications and may like the excitement and thrills you get from building a car from scratch and seeing how it looks when you get it and what its transformed to 6 months later

may be a bit more money in the long run but a lot more satisfaction if your looking for a project

just a thought B)

I agree with this normally, however by the sounds of it the OP will put in all this effort, and in 6 months time just end up with an M-sport rep :lol: