GeoffMM

Bmw E46 Coupe M Sport Witter Removeable Towbar Stealth Install & Electrics

Hi,

As i spent a lot of time searching i though it best to document my efforts to help those in the future wanting a cheap, removeable and cost effective way to tow without ruining the looks of the vehicle.

Previously having installed a Witter BM15A to my previous pre facelift car i chose to do the same again however, they no longer make the A and have replaced with the B which has a different mounting bracket. I was nervous as i know that the 'A' model cleared the M Sport kit and only required a Non Visible cut to the underside of the rear valance. Thankfully the update BM15B is the same.

Thankfully the 'B' kit is well build, fits perfect and if anything, is a better item that the previous model.

The final picture shows i have hidden the single electrics so that it does not spoil the aesthetics of the car!

All in it took me 7 hours for tow bar and electrics but i ws being incredibly slow making sure everthing was spot on.

Thanks to www.pfjones.co.uk for great customer service again and a pricemuch better than the others. (p.s. i have no affiliation with this company)

+ Points,

- Perfect Fit

- Easy to DIY install (Electrics are more difficult for non technical bods)

- £150 all in (Towbar and relay kit) as opposed to £250 for a snap off removable bar. BMW wanted £400 !!!

- No visible cuts etc when tow ball removed from car.

- Points,

- Requires 2 x bolts to install.

- Where i have positioned the electrics is not the best should you not wish to bend down to click the socket in.

post-5152-0-36858800-1318966191_thumb.jp

post-5152-0-71703600-1318966226_thumb.jp

post-5152-0-14560500-1318966253_thumb.jp

Edited by GeoffMM

Hi. Can you be a bit more specific about how the wiring connects to the cars harness please. I have an 03 coupe with the LED rear lamps like yours and wish to fit the towbar electrics so that when I have my cycle carrier on I can hook up my trailer board and have functioning lights. I have no use for a towbar just the electrics but am concerned about the connections with the LED lamps/ ballast etc. Thanks.

I'll be giving them a bell soon. I had a oem detachable on my e39 but need one for my sport touring. I've seen lots on eBay but none of them say they do or don't fit the sport bumper. Does anybody know if they fit. Thanks for the web address.

Ive just recently did this to my own car, how ever I sourced an original BMW All aluminium version which is significantly lighter. The hardest part was the electrics as they are fairly complicated to route under the dashboard.

Im not a fan of the by pass relay kits, our cars are modern enough to monitor trailer lights and other safety advancements.

The M sports are the easiest to fit a tow bar too. (genuine/westfelia).

Andrew

I know this is a bit of a thread revival, but I'm hoping GeoffMM gets notified and takes a look!

Is this a removable flange towbar, as PFJones are saying that they only do removable swan necks, though on the Witter site it says the flange one is upgradeable to a detachable, (PFJones have said it changes to a swan neck when detachable which makes no sense).

Thanks

Alex B

On 18/05/2015, 19:35:24, Alex B said:

Is this a removable flange towbar, as PFJones are saying that they only do removable swan necks

I'm also interested in this, as I would like to fit a detachable flange-based towbar to my 330Ci sport.

- A lot of bars state 'not for M3 or M-sport' which seems odd as the sport bumper is very simular in shape, might be able to ignore this.

- So far all the detachable ones I have found are are swan-neck style. I would live that, but need to fit an anti-swap bracket and would like a bumper protector as well.

Daniel

im not sure what kit i have but i bought it second hand from the site,cant remember the sellers details

mine is a removeable towbat but unless the tow bar is fitted you cannot see anything apart from the small security loop which you dont even notice.

i only cut a small piece of diffuser out aswell so it still all looks oem

my electrics are wired in through the boot and ive put them on a coiled/expandable wire which then tucks behind the bumper as its only used evry other weekend.