amzi160586

18" Mv4's Or 18" Bbs Lm?

Hi guys,

Am looking to change my current alloys as the front passenger wheel seems to have a cracked from the inside. It's a 2002 318 Convertible in Black and would greatly appreciate any advice as to which I should go for.

I'm stuck between the following setup.

BBS LM's:

18x8J with 225/40/18 on the front

18x9J with 235/40/18 on the back

or

MV 4's:

18x8J with 225/40/18 on the front

18x8J with 235/40/18 on the back

I would love to get 19's but have been advised that on stock springs the backs would most definitely rub when I have load in the back due to the fact that the convertible sits lower than the coupe. Is this true? Has anyone managed to get 19's on without making any adjustments to coils / springs?

Currently this is what the ride looks like.

post-3475-0-66532000-1327247244_thumb.jp

post-3475-0-23502700-1327247260_thumb.jp

post-3475-0-30215400-1327247277_thumb.jp

post-3475-0-31493100-1327247297_thumb.jp

You can fit 19s no problem with your current suspension. It's all about the offset. Whoever told you it would rub clearly has no idea what they're talking about. Ideally you need ET45 ish ...give or take few mm. So anywhere between ET35 & ET50 depending on rim width as well. ;)

I would love to get 19's but have been advised that on stock springs the backs would most definitely rub when I have load in the back due to the fact that the convertible sits lower than the coupe. Is this true? Has anyone managed to get 19's on without making any adjustments to coils / springs?

You can fit E46 fitment 19s easily, they won't rub.

I think I'd choose the BBS LMs since they're staggered, MV4s are supposed to be 19" too (I think) so personally, they'd look a little odd as 18s.

You can fit 19s no problem with your current suspension. It's all about the offset. Whoever told you it would rub clearly has no idea what they're talking about. Ideally you need ET45 ish ...give or take few mm. So anywhere between ET35 & ET50 depending on rim width as well. ;)

Hi Daz,

Thanks for your input. The guys down at Fuel Zone (Stretham South London). They claim that 19's on the back will most definitely rub. I am after the staggered setup if there are no issues with the stock suspension and arches.

19x8.5 et35 fronts

19x9.5 et40 rears

5x120 stud diameter

You can fit E46 fitment 19s easily, they won't rub.

I think I'd choose the BBS LMs since they're staggered, MV4s are supposed to be 19" too (I think) so personally, they'd look a little odd as 18s.

I'm leaning towards the BBS LM's myself as they just look that much sweeter. The place I went to today had the MV 4's in 18's. They did look nice as well but now I'm so confused.

get 19s on sort stance out though as 19s make it sit high in my opinion check my style 95 thread to see what i mean or my intro thread

Sorry to sound daft, but what do you mean by sort stance out?

19's are no bigger than 18's with the tyres that suit :lol: i would go somewhere that does have a clue!

If you go 9.5" and ET35 or maybe even ET40 as i have with a 265mm tyre, then you will get a tad of rub fully loaded (4 people). If you run 255mm tyres and ET40 then its fine. Or just go ET45 LM's in 19" form, with a 9.5" rear (staggered LM's).

DSC00641.jpg

ET35 with a 10mm spacer, and on 9.5" LM's (18's look small imo)

93f147c2.jpg

ET40 9.5" with 265/30 tyres, but does catch a tiny bit, thats about half a mm on the arch.

Hey Chris,

Thanks for the info. You say that 18" will look right with the right tyres. Do you recommend anything in particular? Front and Rear size perhaps? I'm a bit worried about getting 19's as I usually have a 2 people in the back on the weekends. With 18's would the looks of wheels suffer?

I meant that 19's are not actually bigger in diameter to 18's providing you get the right tyres. 18's are cheaper on tyres, and if you are using it on a track they will give you better grip. Other than that het 19's! ;)

I meant that 19's are not actually bigger in diameter to 18's providing you get the right tyres. 18's are cheaper on tyres, and if you are using it on a track they will give you better grip. Other than that het 19's! ;)

I get ya..for the staggered 18 setup can you suggest any tires that give it the right look and no problems?

19's are no bigger than 18's with the tyres that suit :lol: i would go somewhere that does have a clue!

If you go 9.5" and ET35 or maybe even ET40 as i have with a 265mm tyre, then you will get a tad of rub fully loaded (4 people). If you run 255mm tyres and ET40 then its fine. Or just go ET45 LM's in 19" form, with a 9.5" rear (staggered LM's).

DSC00641.jpg

ET35 with a 10mm spacer, and on 9.5" LM's (18's look small imo)

So are these in the pic 18" or 19" ?

Tyres for 18' would depend on width etc :)

The setup I was thinking of was 18x8J (Fronts) and 18x9J (Rears). Based on that what do you suggest??

Edited by amzi160586

225/40 fronts and 255/35 rears. Just standard really. You could go lower, but would look weird and have loads of arch space!

Tyres for 18' would depend on width etc :)

And those are 19's Robocoupe

Cheers Chris, my mind is made up :thumbsup:

Excellent. I just spoke to a dealer on Ebay earlier today and he suggested the following for the 19" staggered setup.

19x8.5J front with 235/35/19

19x9.5J rears with 235/35/19 stretched or 245/30/19.

What do you think of these. He has assured me that with this there will be no issues with respect to rubbing at the rear's. Any thoughts??

I ram 235/35 on 19's which was fine. But 245's would be good as well.

What offset are the wheels though, as thats the crucial bit ;)

Chris,

when you say you ran 235/35's I take it the tyres were stretched? The offsets are

fronts 35

rears 40

Yeah, well slight stretch. My old steel grey above was on 235's.

ET40 will be fine ;)

et40 all good on the rears and that's some great news. Now I have to decided on the 18's or 19's and put this order through tomorrow. Hopefully I'll be able to post some pics up once I've got them on. Also what are your rocking at the moment??