jayclough2611

318I Se Oil Leeking From Rear Of Engine Block

Hi

I have just recently noticed a slight smell of burning oil. So as you do i began checking the car over. I am not a mechanic but do have some experience repairing. I found oil had leeked down onto the exhaust from behind the Block. I removed the pollen filter and cover and the holder to get access to the engine. However after further inspection i found the leek to be comming from the back left side(as was stood facing front of car)of the engine. I could not see it so felt it cleaned it and re checked. The leek came back it is small and is coming from a cover of small size and rounded shape approx 4-6 inches (guess as can not see).

I have also found a small amount of light brown foamy substance in oil fill cap and on dipstick when checking. Probably a stupid thing to do but i started the car with oil filler cap open and there was a loud sucking noise i dont know if that is relevant.

I have recently had it serviced By BMW and noticed a slight drop in performance feels a little slugish.

A family freind(mechanic) says it may be caused by the wrong oil

Car has done 69800 miles 2003 facelift model.

using Castrol Magnatec 5W30 Oil

I have had the car for 4 years and i hope it has not seen its last days as it has been best car i have owned any help is grately appreciated.