Daz T

Headlight Warning Light

Hi Guys hope you are all well,my driverside warning light has been on for ages so finaly had a look at it today as i no both lights work,i started by swapping bulbs but still same warning light is lit then i noticed it not until the lights have levelled out that the fault appears ,does anybody no what it could be Thanx in advance

could it be that the self leveling arm under car is broke or sticking have a look

at that . some one might come on who knows more.

not to sure were it is, on front wishbone i think a little box with wires going to it i am

sure there is one on front one on back.

Do you have xenons fitted from new ? If the level control is at the front, theres an arm clipped on the lower suspension arm going to a box with wires, cant remember which side. Some had them on the rear suspension, Tourings, so the level changes with load. If you have ordinary halogen, theres a manual level control next to the lamp switch and no auto leveling. Dont think a dud level control or levelling motor would bring up a fault light, its usually for a dud bulb, or a poor connection to a bulb.

If the warning (front or back as appropriate) comes up when you turn the ignition on, with the lights switched off, its a headlamp dip or a brakelight thats faulty. Then If it comes up when you turn the side lights on with the ignition on, its a sidelight, or main beam. If a front sidelight is out, it will bring that sides front indicator light on, dimly, so you still have a light of sorts. The lamp failure system polls all bulbs one at a time in the first few seconds after you turn on the ignition. Ever had a very nearly flat battery and found the lights come on when you turn the ignition on? Its because there is enough power in the battery to start the polling, it gets something back, but not enough to get a "pass" from the headlamps, so it gets confused. Its clever innit! I found all this out by trial & error when I had problems.

Edited by bobdisk

Have you checked other bulbs at front drivers corner. Fogs etc, will all give same failure warning. If youve got inpa you can scan light switch which will tell you where prob is

Swap the bulbs side to side and see if the problem follows the bulb. This will eliminate bulb issues first of all.