Longun

Fixed - Very Annoying Rattle From Rear - Cause - Broken Brake Pad

I've got a rattle that I thought was being caused by my broken downpipe. After swapping it turns out not.

I got someone to drive so I could have a better listen and it appears to be coming from the near side rear. I've checked pulled, hit and shook everything in sight and the only thing that appears able to rattle is the below. Question is what is it and what does it do?!? Appears to do nothing to me.

metal.jpg

Help please I don't want to drive all the way to the new forest sounding like its falling appart.

Edited by Longun

I know it's not much use before the meet tomorrow, but you could try mounting on of these on the underside of the car then going for a drive and see if anything obvious knocks or rattles . . .

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Lighter-Spy-Camera-Spy-Cam-Camcorder-USB-Mini-DVR-DV-/320855069708?pt=UK_CCTV&hash=item4ab473d40c

Cheers

OK so its not the vibration thing as it still does it with it removed. Got the car booked in for 9am tomorrow morning. If they find it or assure me somethings majors not broken I'll still head down.

Edited by Longun

Its a metal rattle. As above its just like a loose exhaust clamp sound. I hit everything under the car and around the wheels with a mallet but can't generate the noise. Drive it and its immediate. Its loud and annoying ;)

Cars on standard sport springs.

Edited by Longun

i had the same, turned out to be the brake caliper retaining springs! the ones that you can see through the wheel. easy to sort by taking them off and bending some tension back into them and refitting.....job done :thumbsup:

Have a look in your spare wheel well, might be something rattling round in there?

Nothing rattling in the car. The sound gets much quieter with the windows up. Plus I've had the rear seats down to aid hearing it.

i had the same, turned out to be the brake caliper retaining springs! the ones that you can see through the wheel. easy to sort by taking them off and bending some tension back into them and refitting.....job done

Now that has some legs. That'll be the first thing I check in the morning.

Thanks for throwing ideas in all its much appreciated :thumbsup:

Got to the bottom of it today. Loose brake pad. Upon removal we found the clip that holds the inside pad into piston was broken off and allowing the pad to move around. Also found cracked pads on both sides. They only looked a few months old so must have been swapped quite recently. Looked cheap, no markings to help me find the manufacturer, which is annoying as I would have returned them. Fitted ferodo's and the rattle is cured :thumbsup:

Will be checking the fronts tomorrow, as I'm now questioning if cheap pads have been fitted all round.

Thanks for all the advice and pointers.