bolton1234

Can I Install The Following Diesel Particle Filter (Dpf) Filter In My E46 330D 1999 Model ?

Hi folks,

I have a BMW E46 330d 1999 model and am considering installing a DPF so that I can have the car upgraded from a Euro 3 status to Euro 4.

Does anyone have experience with DPF and the 330d 1999 model ?

Can I install this filter? I know that I will have to do some work on the piping, maybe installing some instrumentation and electronics to monitor the status of the DPF. The old E46 330d models do not cater for DPF.

http://www.ebay.de/itm/DPF-Partikelfilter-Reinigung-BMW-318d-320d-325d-330d-/280857270445?pt=DE_Autoteile&hash=item416465d8ad

However what I am concerned with is

(1) the potential impact it may have on the turbo charger. How will the increased back pressure affect the turbo ?

(2) what are the safety risks involved in having a clogged DPF filter ?

(3) what instrumentation is required for monitoring the status of the DPF filter ? Is it okay to only monitor the differential pressure across the filter ? (I may need to instrument the DPF). Any suggestions?

Many thanks,

Leslie Bolton

1st off - Welcome! B)

2nd, EU4 E46 330'd don't all have DPF's.

3rd - why would you want it to adhere to EU4 if it was built to EU3? The amount it'll cost to convert it to the same spec you could probably trade up to an EU4 330d!

The car was never designed to run with a DPF, you will need to first of all fabricate one to fit, then programme the ECU to work with a DPF and then remap the fuelling & boost to suite the increased back pressure.

You will lose power and there is a lot of time, effort & money involved for (what I see as) a pointless exercise.

As Momo said, sell it and buy one that's already EU4 if you are that bothered.

Fair play! Should be interesting to see if you can do this tbh!

On the basics if you look at the M57N2 engine (form the E90 with the DPF) I can see quite a few differences tbh..

M57N2 (E90 330d)

bmw-3-series-2009-diesel-engine.jpg

M57N (E46 facelift 330d)

bmw_3l_turbodiesel.jpg

It's not clear in the 2nd pic but from what I can see the 1st problem is the air intake is in the wrong position. On the M57N2 the intake is that snorkel type thing on the upper-left which looks like it goes straight into the turbo (filter is probably missing from this pic). On the M57N engine the intake is the hole on the top left, going into a filter under the engine cover then loops back down to the turbo.

Also if you look at the DPF itself there's a lot of sensors which look to be attached to the inlet manifold.

Going by just these pictures I think you'll need:-

1x NEW inlet manifold

1x Exhaust Manifold

1x DPF

Then all the bits and bobs to make it all fit and also don't forget a remap to map the sensors/DPF INTO your ECU.

As yours is a 1999 model, why not just find a E46 M57N engine from a facelift and retro fit that? There'll be a SHED load less work involved as these engines are already EU4 approved (also they don't need DPF's to be EU4)!

EDIT: Yeah looks like BMW realised how much of a PITA it was to change the damn air filter so moved it out:-

2009-bmw-330d-sedan-engine-588x391.jpg

Honestly mate - trade up or if you REALLY want to keep the car look at retro-fitting an M57N engine..

Edited by momo

I would guess it would over fuel as the boost could end up being slightly less but the fueling would stay the same causing the PDF to clog fasted causing even less boost and more over fueling

You would need a full live map to set the fuel/boost and I guess the turbo would run hotter so may need oil cooler and an updated intercooler to run the same boost levels

I'd imagine it'd be like fitting a CAT to a non-CAT car tbh you'll have massive problems! The ECU won't know what's going on so probably just kill the engine!

Don't forget the DPF is very restrictive so would require different air/fuel mixtures etc..

Give it a try if you're feeling brave! If it runs just don't run it for long the first time and make sure you know exactly what effect it's had on the engine/components.

Old topic, but maybe relavent with latest emission zones... Realoem states consider fitting dpf In place of cat for the e46 320. "Consider the customer and the
environment,
install a retrofit diesel particulate
filter
instead of a replacement precatalyst!
For additional information see HG18 FG10"

also there is an unregulated dpf for eu3 engines listed below it.

Edited by Aonbt
Typo- regulated instead of unregulated

How do you register it as Euro 4 compliant and who tests it. We've moved on to later compliances since 2012 when the post was created anyway, so it's kind of irrelevant as you'd never get an E46 to comply with the more modern rules.

More to the point - diesel is the fuel of Satan and the world now agrees!

We should never have been encouraged to buy them by previous governments and should not be buying them now.

I walked through town the other day for work and coughed on diesel fumes just from general traffic. I could taste it! 

Kirkynut