CharlE46

Remote Central Locking Not Working - Not Battery

Central locking works perfectly from the key in the drivers door lock but the remote does nothing, I have two keys plus the plastic key for the 2003 320d and neither key work the remote. I have no problems starting the car with either keys (if relevant) and have only had the car a couple of weeks and this was a pre-existing fault with the car.

After doing a load of reading I tried the recoding and nothing happend, thought could be the batteries then as the fobs look well worn. Ordered two shiny new batteries VL2020 opened up the fobs and checked the volatges before doing anything and both are just over 3v!!

IMAG1596.jpg

IMAG1597.jpg

To me this is saying my fobs are fine and the problem is elsewhere.... I'm new to E46's so a real newbie, can anyone piont me in the right direction of what to check or do next. Is there a module connected to the remotes that's a known fault.

I did try the search function but didn't find anything the same as my issue.

Any help would be appreciated ;)

Charlie

GM5 module handles all central locking stuff, hope its not this though

Central locking all works 100% through the key and the button inside, would this not be affected if the GM5 module was faulty?

Hi. GM5 module- http://www.ebay.co.u...=item3f158b08c8 .Have a read and phone the guy for help. Jim

Cheers for the link, have had a read through his ad and it states "This repair is for central locking faults only and does not cover wipers, windows, key fob issues etc " My issue isn't really the C/L more the communication between fob and C/L, does the GM5 do this?

Thanks for your input gents :thumbup:

This.

First of all before doing anything, check your keys are charged and then re code them to the car.

Fixes most issues, followed by battery replacement than looking at the GM5 module.

C.

Wont be GM5 then :)

Maybe try reprogramming the key to the car in case something has gone wrong there ?

Well I now know the batteries are good and have tried coding the keys to the car a couple of times already but will stick the fobs back together and try the coding again as batteries don't need changing. Does the GM5 module deal with receiving the signal from the fobs or is there another module?

Recoding as below

• Key in ignition turn to pos 2 (dash lights etc on) and then turn off and remove
  • Press and hold the unlock button while pressing lock 3 times then release all buttons
  • Locks should open & close indicating it's coded
  • carry out again on other key without doing the ignition again

Is the above what works for everyone else?

Edited by Chunky

Isn't it the antenna amplifier that receives the remote signals from the key fob?

It's located behind the N/S C pillar cover on my loon but not sure on the tourer.

Not sure buddy, can anyone confirm is this is the case and if so would it be located in the rear quarter panel's on a tourer.

Have just tried recoding again on both keys and nothing happens at all :(

Would INPA work to show what the issue is? sorry if that's a stupid question, E30's were a little behind of the times in comparison to the E46's so I'm on a steep learning curve.

Thanks for the input so far guys :thumbsup:

Did a bit of digging around and confirm what I said earlier appears to be true.

The remote key receiver is part of the antenna amplifier and is installed in the left “C” pillar.

The receiver produces a digital signal based on the transmitter command and sends it to the GM for processing.

The GM then carries out all remote lock system, window and sunroof opening features, along with DWA arming/disarming functions.

The frequency at which the key transmits the radio signal to the antenna amplifier is 315 MHz.

The system is also used to convey the key identification number being used to lock/unlock the vehicle. This is a requirement of the Key Memory feature

Hope that helps.

Also check the buttons in the key are working properly. I've had to solder new buttons into a key before. People sell them on eBay, so I assume it's fairly common.

If the buttons don't work, the recoding won't either.

Ian.

How would one go about checking if the buttons work correctly? I can't see any breaks in the solder and when you depress the button the 'click' is very positive, this applies to both key fobs and all the buttons. Is there a way of testing with a multimeter on the pins of the switches??

Did a bit of digging around and confirm what I said earlier appears to be true.

The remote key receiver is part of the antenna amplifier and is installed in the left “C” pillar.

The receiver produces a digital signal based on the transmitter command and sends it to the GM for processing.

The GM then carries out all remote lock system, window and sunroof opening features, along with DWA arming/disarming functions.

The frequency at which the key transmits the radio signal to the antenna amplifier is 315 MHz.

The system is also used to convey the key identification number being used to lock/unlock the vehicle. This is a requirement of the Key Memory feature

Hope that helps.

Many thanks for the info, gives me somewhere to start looking :thumbsup:

If you know n trust someone with an e46 you could program your keys to their car. If they work then you'll know 100% it's not keys. You can program upto 8 keys to gm5 .

That's a cunning plan loze, if I program my key to their car would their key still work as normal (guessing yes by the '8 keys' comment) So the car has a stationary code and you program the key to the car and it doesn't create a random new code each time it's done.. sorry if these questions sound daft, just trying to learn ;)

According to the TIS there are 4 main components in the remote locking system which in europe will be running at 433.92mhz, 315 is US spec

1.Key fob

2.GM module ZKE

3.Receiving module/Aerial amp FZV

4.Aerial (rear window)

Where does the mirror come into it?

According to the TIS there are 4 main components in the remote locking system which in europe will be running at 433.92mhz, 315 is US spec

1.Key fob

2.GM module ZKE

4.Aerial (rear window)

I would say remove your mirror and see, but yours does not work anyway :D

But trust me, i took mine off, tried the key fob and it does not work ;)

Worth a shot, just to make sure everything is connected. If you were closer i have a spare that you could of tried.

1.Key fob

2.GM module ZKE

4.Aerial (rear window)

I have a spare amp if you want to borrow it?

If you fancy taking a drive and picking it up?

I would say remove your mirror and see, but yours does not work anyway :D

But trust me, i took mine off, tried the key fob and it does not work ;)

Worth a shot, just to make sure everything is connected. If you were closer i have a spare that you could of tried.

I'm thinking that maybe on the vert's the receiver could well be built into the mirror as it's the highest fixed piont of the car but at this piont I'll happily try anything LOL :thumbup:

I have a spare amp if you want to borrow it?

If you fancy taking a drive and picking it up?

You sir are a star and gent and I may well take you up on the offer, if we plug it in and it works hey presto problem sorted :D I'll do some more digging on what tests can be done etc as I'm busy with work at the mo for going on drives but failing that will drop you a PM :thumbsup:

I really do appreciate the input :afro:

Hi there, CharlE46 did you finally figure out the problem?. I have gone through same steps as you (including changing the antenna amplifier) and still can't program the keys. Key battery is full and GM5 module seems to be OK since it handles the locking through door lock and C/L button on the console. I am thinking whether there could be a fault in GM5 receiving the signal from the antenna amplifier but don't know how to test that. We could also test for signal traveling from the antenna amplifier to GM5 but again don't know what pins to check.. Best and hope you have fixed it already :)

Georgios

Hi there, CharlE46 did you finally figure out the problem?. I have gone through same steps as you (including changing the antenna amplifier) and still can't program the keys. Key battery is full and GM5 module seems to be OK since it handles the locking through door lock and C/L button on the console. I am thinking whether there could be a fault in GM5 receiving the signal from the antenna amplifier but don't know how to test that. We could also test for signal traveling from the antenna amplifier to GM5 but again don't know what pins to check.. Best and hope you have fixed it already :)

Georgios

Hi George, apologies for the month late reply.. I did indeed sort the issue which was a boken power feeding power to the FZV module. A common failure on the tourers are the wires through the rubber boot to the tailglass and this is where I found my break, have a read through http://www.bimmerforums.co.uk/forum/f18/2003-e46-320d-se-tourer-remote-key-problem-fzv-t73922/ and then dig out your multimeter :thumbsup:

I had purchased a replacement FZV module and all all it turned out was a lack of power to the original modue!! 2 mins with a soldering iron sorted the issue and a quick reprogram of the key.

Hope the above helps

Charlie

Hi All,

Only joined yesterday, (coincidentally the same day as I collected my car,)

I've got a 2004 320 D Sport Touring and have already noticed a couple of anomilies:

A) The remote locking works when it feels like, I tried to reset it this morning, eventually did so when the car had been driven for about 10 / 15 mins, using the following -

1. Turn key to position 1 five times very quickly

2. Remove key

3. Hold unlock button then press lock button 3 times, release unlock button.

4. If you have another key do the same button pressing within 30 seconds

5. Turn on ignition to finalize

This worked fine, but when I came out to it about 5 hours later, nothing !

Is this likely to be the battery not holding a charge ??

B) I also noticed tonight that my door mirrors appear to have "folded in" on themselves, is this controlled by the key fob as I cannot get them to come back out !

Any suggestions please ??

Thanks,

The fact it worked after the car had been driven a short while would indicate a flat battery, the battery itself charges while in the ignition (with ignition on) so try doing a decent drive, if the key hasn't been used in a while just needs a good charge... worst case it needs a new battery fitting, this can either easily be done by yourself using the countless guides on the net or send it off to one of the repairers on ebay :thumbsup:

Sounds like you may have picked up a nicely specced tourer by the fact the mirrors folded, guessing you also have electric memory seats

:afro: They should unfold when you unlock again using the key fob, not sure if they will if only using the key in the lock.