edwardcasbon

What's Considered High Mileage?

Hi all,

I'm currently on the hunt for a new car and would love a e46 320 cd (m) sport.

After looking around I see that most of them now have, what I consider, relatively high mileage (70,000 - 120,000 miles).

I was just wondering what's considered high mileage for these cars and at what kind of mileage do they require lots of work doing? And when do they start breaking down/needed lots of new parts etc?

I'd love to be able to justify buying a 320cd sport that has similar mileage to my current car (mk5 golf gt tdi @ 84,000 miles) and having to put more towards it!

Thanks,

Edward

p.s. loving all your cars on here. I'm so jealous :P

Hello mate, thing with e46's they sent out of production 7 years ago now & most of them have avarage milage based on the 12,000 per annum figure

They are pretty reliable as long as you get the swirl flaps removed & blank off the egr valve they should do you proud. I'd advise getting it remapped as going from a 140bhp front wheel drive golf they feel pretty livley, the 150bhp rear wheel drive BMW will feel a bit sluggish in comparison

Hope this helps

Jay

On a regular car I'd say 100000 is high but on a BMW or Mercedes you can double that figure and it'll still run fine. Just make sure it's been well maintained.

Edited by mit

I'm on 148 and when I say it runs like new, I mean it!

My 56,000 mile Type R before this was in a worse mechanical state (gearbox rebuild).

Just look for a well maintained service history. High mileage usually means motorway miles so check for screen chips

My mate bought one last year with 135 on the clock. It had a breather leak which chucked out loads of smoke out into the engine bay. This was sorted with a £3 bit of hose! Then, 3 mths later, the turbo let go. We swapped it ourselves, and believe me, Ive never seen a turbo more shagged! Literally 10mm of float in every direction! We changed the turbo and the oil seperator and blanked of the swirls. All in, I think it cost him about £400. Its now for sale with 142k on the clock and I reckon it wont hang about as dealers want to ask stupid money for the same car (Sport Tourer) with FSH - no matter what the mileage!

My 2000 330 has is on about 121k

Low mileage for the year I'd say. Remember most of these larger bm's have been motorway mile munchers for most of their lives.

I'm personally addiment I'm going to keep mine until the 200k mark.

I got it with 108k, nice early sport model saloon and it's an individual for £2150 after a good haggle. I'm sure it'll get £1000 when she's on 200k.

So £1150 for 92k miles it's a result. Not including services etc

My 2000 330 has is on about 121k

Low mileage for the year I'd say. Remember most of these larger bm's have been motorway mile munchers for most of their lives.

I'm personally addiment I'm going to keep mine until the 200k mark.

I got it with 108k, nice early sport model saloon and it's an individual for £2150 after a good haggle. I'm sure it'll get £1000 when she's on 200k.

So £1150 for 92k miles it's a result. Not including services etc

Me to mine has done 140.000 now have done water pump,radiator,and vanos seals, had a couple of hiccups reset me auto adaptives went from mk to london an 1/4 tank of juice well pleased .

anything over the actual average. My 335d has done 60k in 5 years..call that bang on..mileage wouldnt scare me..i'd rather have a high miler which has been maintained rather then a lower mileage one..odds are that you will have to get things done eventually. I've seen a 330ci sport which had done 270k the other week. Drove like new and pulled like a train

anything over the actual average. My 335d has done 60k in 5 years..call that bang on..mileage wouldnt scare me..i'd rather have a high miler which has been maintained rather then a lower mileage one..odds are that you will have to get things done eventually. I've seen a 330ci sport which had done 270k the other week. Drove like new and pulled like a train

This!

Would you say the same when talking about an M? There's a 75k mile 2004 plate. Average miles, but am I just going to be stuck with a 100k car in two years time that no one will want to touch?

Would you say the same when talking about an M? There's a 75k mile 2004 plate. Average miles, but am I just going to be stuck with a 100k car in two years time that no one will want to touch?

If its been serviced every year instead of by the mileage and had every bit of paperwork for any work carried out including mots etc I'd happily buy an M with over 100k on it.

There you go Gaz, buy it, thrash the knackers off it for 2 years and you've a buyer already :P

There you go Gaz, buy it, thrash the knackers off it for 2 years and you've a buyer already :P

But someone thrashing it is unlikely to service it methodically. I bought my car off eBay with 104k without even seeing the car. I did see a mountain of paperwork for it though and luckily its been fault free ( 2 injectors and a clutch in 4 years )

If its been serviced every year instead of by the mileage and had every bit of paperwork for any work carried out including mots etc I'd happily buy an M with over 100k on it.

This is the problem while some of us can look past the 100k miles, most people don't which is a little unfair. I had no qualms when I bought my 330 with over 115k on the clock and that was fine. Selling on the other hand was difficult as higher miles does put people off. The good things in favour as Suhail mentioned which is important is the service history and the condition was pretty good for its age.

I think if your planning to keep a car a long time then who cares about mileage?

My 330ci I bought on 113k for 6.5k. Fully maintained, clutch went on the way home, crank case ventilation shaft changed, was drinking oil stupidly, ignition coils went, thermostat and water pump replaced all in the 12 months I had it. Sold on 122k to the first guy who looked at it. 6.5k he said he was happy as everything major had been done.

over 150k is high on a BM these days but over 100k isnt ive actually got my lowest mileage currently 100300, E30 had 189k spplit between 2 engines (conversion not fail) got a hiace van with 189k drives better than the 90k one, old mans got 90k on his 645, aslong as its looked after i reckon i could get 250k out of a beemer

Im not bothered by mileage these days ive had lows and highs and it all depends on how they've been looked after really, If i look round a car, Looks really clean runs well, Drives well etc then its been looked after, I bought a 325 (petrol) a couple of years ago that had done over 265,000 miles bought it for pence, I kid you not sounded like a new motor, Drove perfect... dont get me wrong its not always the case, just saying dont let it put you off.... good luck...

I have had to have a few bits done as the miles have climbed but I do 50k a year, I bought my 330d sport 2 years ago on 31k, (very low mileage for a 04 plate car), it now has 140k

Had flywheel, clutch, new exhaust manifold, lower arms, battery and prop donut in last 3 months

However 4 of those items may have lasted longer if I didnt remap it after only having it 3 days

I still don't think the 330d remapped is really that quick, infact I had it rolling roared 2 weeks ago as I thought it was slow, turns out its making good numbers.

Not sure what I would get next maybe a remapped 335d or 535d

I wouldn't worry about mileage aslong as its been looked after especially on german cars. My E46 had 135k and never missed a beat in 5 years, same goes for my Vw crafter, thats done 140k in 2.5 years. Its all about maintenance and how you treat them

I wouldn't worry about mileage aslong as its been looked after especially on german cars. My E46 had 135k and never missed a beat in 5 years, same goes for my Vw crafter, thats done 140k in 2.5 years. Its all about maintenance and how you treat them

Wish i'd have'not missed out on your car, would have saved me a fortune :lol: