Sign in to follow this  
rihsabramo

330D Auto Gear Change Revs

I've just bought a 330D, It's my first automatic diesel and I'm not sure if there is problem or it is just me.

Is there somewhere that details at what revs the auto box should change gear, its just that mine seems to be a bit odd.

In 'D' it seems to stay in 1st/2nd till 3000rpm or so which is a bit annoying in traffic but not unbearable.

And in 'S' mode it revs way past the end of the powerband up to about 4000rpm before it changes.

Is it meant to?

Thanks

In D mine changes really early on light throttle, almost seamless through 1st, 2nd & 3rd around 2500rpm, changes at higher revs if you apply more throttle, it's adaptive and changes to your driving style.

Might be worth doing an auto gearbox oil & filter change, really does sharpen up the changes and feels really smooth

In S it will rev until the limiter then change, that's normal.

I've just bought a 330D, It's my first automatic diesel and I'm not sure if there is problem or it is just me.

Is there somewhere that details at what revs the auto box should change gear, its just that mine seems to be a bit odd.

In 'D' it seems to stay in 1st/2nd till 3000rpm or so which is a bit annoying in traffic but not unbearable.

And in 'S' mode it revs way past the end of the powerband up to about 4000rpm before it changes.

Is it meant to?

Thanks

My comments would near enought mirror what Rich_D has stated and as he rightly has stated these gearboxes "learn your driving style". You can to a degree re set these values or more to the point re set the throttle response which you'll somewhere within the forums's previous posts find out how to do. Re gears I find my car ususally pulls away in 2nd and near enough seemlessly move to 3rd and beyond, if yours starts in 1st I'd be surprised, up and down shifts are fine(though I feel there is a little room for improvment) but despite resetting the throttle settings in the past its the lag re throttle and gearbox action that I find annoying when you press the throttle and have to wait for the gearbox to get the message that it needs to wake up and do its thing that is a pain, though moving the selector to S make a difference re this plus it sharpens the trottle response in general. But there's still IMO room for improvment. Luckyily as I work fgor an indy when there's a quiet period I'll again re set the throttle plus look to at this stage upload the latest software to check how much of a difference this make but those solenoids are on my radar.

Hope this helps

You can however have the latest software for your gearbox uploaded by most indy and of course your BMW main dealer and this will help as the software is constantly being updated/altered, but before you do this with the 330d's GM gearbox there is now enough information surfacing re the Torque Convertor Lock-up and Main solenoid failure to make this worth doing as it is kind of understood that these can fail cause the demise of the gearbox(where I work A1 BM in Stevenage we had an 03 plate 530D in late last week with gearbox failure-it had no drive when selecting reverse it crept forward, selecting N it crept forward and according to what I saw it appears the lock up clutch had decided to go AWOL and when drained the old gearbox oil was a mess to say the least) From what I can understand by all means update the latest software but only when these gearboxes have had new solenoids put in is it OK to a full reset the adaptive settings

Personally a good couple of years ago I had the gearbox fluid flushed and this made a real difference(how can fluid perform 100% for life), but now that this info re solenoids has surfaced I'm 99% certain that I'll be changing these soon as its cheaper than a re build and will give me peace of mind.