Bodge

M3 Engine Conversion In A 330I Touring?

Does anyone know whats involved?

Im thinking of putting a E46 or E36 evo M3 engine in my 330i touring. Id what to use the M3 gearbox as well, and add a LSD to the stock diff.

Id also want to use the stock clocks that's in mine at the moment.

Will the engine and box bolt strate in onto the original engine mounts?

Custom prop shaft.

Will it be plug and play into my clocks?

Different fuel pump? Does an M3 one bolt strate in?

engine loom and ECU plug and play into the fuse box?

Does the engine and box look the same? same casing and same engine just different internals bore ect?

Also would there much advantage to using the e46 over the e36 evo engine. They seem to give pretty much the same power figures but i should be able the pick the e36 engine up cheaper.

Any info would be great or a point in the right direction :)

The answer to most of your questions is "no"

This is a saloon conversion. It'll be almost the same for a touring. There's a lot to read, but the guy has done a huge conversion :)

http://forum.e46fana...?t=176943&pp=80

Edited by mit

At the very least you'll need:-

Engine

Gearbox

ECU

Wiring Loom

Suspension

Driveshaft

LSD (maybe carrier from the rear so probably the whole M3 rear subframe)

Clocks

Fuel pumps will probably be in there also but not sure.

IIRC PhantomMark is doing a similar conversion on a 330i on this forum. Not sure whats the latest on it though..

You'll want to be updating the brakes too.

It's not just a case if whacking the engine in, all the ancillary components will need to be changed to cope with the extra power.

I've heard and read that the conversion is easier with an E36 M3 engine(S50?). There are less electronics to deal with.

Ben

From what i can gather there is all sorts of problems to sort with the sensors, its by no mean 'plug and play' like you are suggesting.

Your best bet would be to pick up a rear ended donor car and strip all the bits you need to put them on to yours, will be a darn sight cheaper than buying the parts individually.

Thanks for all the help info and links.

tbh although it would be nice i haven't got the space to do another engine conversion and it seems it would be more hassle than its worth considering it not plug and play.

If it was a case of bolting the new engine/ box in and changing the wiring looms over/ plugging them into the standard fuse box then id be very temped.

after weighting both options up sticking a charger on mine would probably be A, a hell of a lot easier. less time to install with less BS to put up with and work though, Can remove it to sell it when im finished with the car done, cheaper for the same amount of power. The option of more power at a later date if i want to spend a bit :unsure:

I need to look into it more but a charger feels like the easier and more sensible option. Turbo would be the one.. or even and M3 turbo but i want to put minimal time effort and money with the least amount of stress and down time. :thumbsup: