Cymro

Glove Box Not Opening

Hi guys.  Same issue with glove box but I've only just noticed this whilst trying to work out why the boot no longer opens on the remote.  Is there a fuse somewhere which controls the two?  Very grateful for any advice.  Thank you.

Glad to see that this topic remains of interest. My understanding is that the boot lid and the glovebox lid are functionally linked so that the remote locks or unlocks both simultaneously. So yes there is a fuse although in my case it was not blown. However, as I looked mor ena dmore into my problem, it became obvious that before my ownership somebody had "modified" the wiring to the glove box lock. Throughout my ownership the boot responded normally to the remote while the glovebox was lockable only by using the ignition key. I never did succeed in transferring the barrel from the original lock into a saloon-type non-remote operated glove box lock and so had to use the original barrel of the saloon style lock. The result is that I now have 2 keys, one for the glovebox lid and the other is the usual ignition key.

Good luck,   Cymro

I have just solved this problem with a little help from a post on YouTube. The BMW mechanics who look after the car said it couldn’t be fixed and would have to be broken into and a new lock installed.

The glove box was locked and would not open - I suspect because a crash repairer had tried to open it while it was in the valet position. But this worked:

1. Make sure the key is in the vertical position.

2. Lie on the floor of the passenger side with your head towards the engine looking up at the underside of the glove box. You’ll need a torch and a flat head screwdriver.

3. Pull the latch down so you can see behind it 

4. You will see to the left, in behind the latch, a white lug, or catch or something similar.

5. Slide the screwdriver in beside the white lug and either press on it or wiggle it or move it side to side. You don’t need much pressure.

6. The glove box should spring open.

The latch should then work either manually or with the key but make sure it does before you shut it again.

When you open the car with the remote control always press the button twice. The first time unlocks the driver’s door and the second time unlocks the passenger door, boot and glove box.

I’m not going to risk locking the glove box again. It was a complicated, frustrating exercise. 

1. A rather late thanks to Studley for his detailed account of how to open a 'stuck" glove box lid. I did do the lying on my back in the footwell bit when I was trying to free off the screws that hold the inboard end of the glovebox in position, all in an attempt to see if a bit more wiggle-room would be enough to let the lock disengage, and it eventually did! However, the Studley manoeuvre will be filed away in the memory for the next time! I'm still living with having to use a second key to unlock the glovebox with my simple saloon type exchanged lock. A bit cumbersome and non-original, but it does work!
Edited by Cymro
Added words