zimzimmer46

Coding A Cluster (Tamper Dot)

Im gonna need a new cluster :-( just slighty cracked the led glass thingy for the part where u c "D" "SD" so I have pixels missing. Great if I can just find that part but very much doubt it :-(

If I get a new cluster then the tamper will show unless I find 1 with a little more mileage. So is anyone on here can code a new 1 ???

Or could I just buy a crapy 1 and take the part off I need which is just that little screen

What u thinks guy cheers

You could be tempted to buy PA soft and do it but you can't unless your car is a really early E46 (pre 2000 I think). Most of the clusters have a M35080 memory chip in them which you can't program with PA soft. I'm not sure if you can do it with NCS Expert but if you can, it will probably be really difficult.

My advice would be to find another cluster and use the display from that to solder to your current damaged one.

You can do it with NCS if you know what your doing!

I'm not so sure tbh. I think the only way you can do it is by desoldering your original M35080 eeprom and soldering it to the new cluster.

I'm probably just better off finding a cheap cluster and taking the screen off of it tbh :-)

I should imagine the screen works the same as man & auto ??

If you're talking about the bit where it says P/R/N/D etc, the clusters for manual cars don't have that screen at all?

Auto cluster:

BMW_E46_Instrument_Cluster.jpg

Manual cluster:

BMW_320i_E46_instrument_cluster_during_fuel_cut-off_%28aka%29.jpg

tamper dot can be set to not active in NCS

AUSTAUSCHPUNKT USED PART INDICATION (MILEAGE TAMPER DOT)

from aktiv to nicht_aktiv

although this just masks the issue, and does not code the cluster to the car

IIRC Miniimperial can do it as Im sure he had thread up about it and he has done it.

Can't do it on post 2000 cars with the M35080 eeprom.

You could be tempted to buy PA soft and do it but you can't unless your car is a really early E46 (pre 2000 I think). Most of the clusters have a M35080 memory chip in them which you can't program with PA soft.