Matt_S

Anyone Recommend A Decent Non Car Wrecking Bike Rack?

I want to be able to take the bikes out in the car, but seeing as I was stupid and bought a fcuking saloon, Im stuck with going for a rack.

Any suggestions? I dont have a tow bar, so the ones which bolt on to that are out of the equation.

CHeers in advance.

+1 For roof rack and bike holder. I bought a set of 2nd OEM BMW bars for about £70 and then got a pair of Halfrauds bike holders (same as the Thule one's just lot less £'ss) and they work a treat. Don't damage the car or the bike

Further to this, Ive been scouring the bay for a set of used bars.

But all I seem to see is the bars for "E46 and E39".

I was about to hand over some hard earned for a set and then thought Id take a cursory look on Realoem...

Turns out that the bars that fit E39 only fit the compact E46, not the saloon. In fact, these bars seem to fit every other car BUT the bloody E46 saloon/tourer!

Jarred isnt the word! :(

THen, when I went on realoem to get the correct part number, theyre discontinued with no alternative number :(

Edited by Matt_S

Same as that. I think some of the confusion comes from the fact that it appears that some of them do and some dont

These ones from BMW direct state they do and yet they fit loads.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/BMW-Genuine-Alu-Aluminium-Roof-Bars-Rack-E46-3-Series-82710142220-/170689550496?pt=UK_CarsParts_Vehicles_CarParts_SM&hash=item27bde3d8a0#ht_1565wt_1185

But these ones dont fit the E46 compact...

But the badge on some of the bars for sale says E46(4/2) and E39. Confusing or what!!?

Not that far, about 45 mins away, I have that set in my watch list already and was going to bid :thumbsup:

Quite a few sets seem to have cropped up in this past few days though

So many are collection only though and too far away

Edited by Rich_D

Id drop him a mail.

I had a set and asked a BIN price. The guy said he'd take £55. Unfortunately, they were for the compact.

Also, if you see the ones with the badges on indicating fitment, the E46 saloon/coupe compatible ones seem to have "E39 / E46 4/2" on the badge. The compact ones have E39er / E46er. Thats just an observation Ive noticed.

Already contacted the seller to check what fitment they are, they were on a saloon, so all good

They want to let the auction run though, hopefully not many other locals want a set ;)

I have also noticed the 'E39 / E46 4/2' on the stickers

Edited by Rich_D

Already contacted the seller to check what fitment they are, they were on a saloon, so all good

They want to let the auction run though, hopefully not many other locals want a set ;)

I have also noticed the 'E39 / E46 4/2' on the stickers

Unfortunately I missed out on them as I was out of the house at the time and it was the evening that O2 service was flaky :(

So I'm still on the hunt...

Unfortunately I missed out on them as I was out of the house at the time and it was the evening that O2 service was flaky :(

So I'm still on the hunt...

You still on the hunt for roof bars and bike mounts? Going to be selling mine (and car :( ...)

Rich, dont know if you have heard but apparently there are people that pick stuff up for you wherever you need collection from and bring it to you. For a charge.

I think they call themselves "couriers"? Could be wrong though...