Sign in to follow this  
m9fdb

Best Oil For A E46 330Ci

I have read on here that people seem to use 5w 30 oil in their 330's and wondered if there is any particular make to go for - Mobil, Castrol etc etc

The reason i am asking is my amber oil light has started to appear and i was going to do an oil change. Also how much oil does the engine need (ideally in ltrs)

Any feedback is welcomed

Thanks

BMW recommend Castrol Edge 5w30. That's what I, and many other on here, use :)

Castrol Edge 0w30 or 5w30

6.5 litres if driven gently, 7.5 litres if driven hard

6.5 litres if driven gently, 7.5 litres if driven hard

??

How would how you drive change the oil capacity?

??

How would how you drive change the oil capacity?

If you're gonna be driving higher in the rev range a lot of the time you need more oil pressure

If you're gonna be driving higher in the rev range a lot of the time you need more oil pressure

Ah, never heard this before. *Off to the Google mobile!* :lol:

Low oil won't mean low oil pressure unless it's so low the pump can't pump it. There are markers on the dipstick to tell you the maximum oil level and overfilling is a bad idea.

Use 0w/30 Mobil 1. If you have a high mileage engine then a 0w/40 will be a better bet. A 0w rated oil will give almost instant cold start protection. I put exactly 7.0 litres of oil in my engine which takes it up to the "max" mark on the dipstick. Never overfill.

Low oil won't mean low oil pressure unless it's so low the pump can't pump it. There are markers on the dipstick to tell you the maximum oil level and overfilling is a bad idea.

The low pressure warning light comes on at 1 bar (I think) but if you're gonna regularly be running at 4,000+rpm you should have much more pressure than this. Having more oil in the same volume of space does this.

If you overfill enough that the red oil pressure light comes in though you need to drain some (I've been putting 7.5 litres into mine at ~6 month intervals for the past 5 years and never had the light come on).

(I've been putting 7.5 litres into mine at ~6 month intervals for the past 5 years and never had the light come on).

Putting just half a litre more in you may just get away with. Any more than that could result in foaming which is bad news. It would be better to run half a litre less than half a litre more to be honest.

Back on topic tho I use castrol edge in mine and can't knock it! 0w 30 :)

I don't go along with more oil equals more oil pressure one bit

Correct.

All car manufacturers get their boffins to see how much oil any given engine needs. For road cars, even the hardest driven, this is more than adequate. Stick to the makers recommendations and you wont go far wrong.

Edited by Ragamuffin

Putting just half a litre more in you may just get away with. Any more than that could result in foaming which is bad news. It would be better to run half a litre less than half a litre more to be honest.

Not if you regularly track your car and want to avoid lifter tick

Correct.

All car manufacturers get their boffins to see how much oil any given engine needs. For road cars, even the hardest driven, this is more than adequate. Stick to the makers recommendations and you wont go far wrong.

Oh I agree, for normal (what I referred to as gentle in my original post) driving the 6.5 litres recommended by BMW is correct.

For cars which spend a lot of time above ~4,000rpm (e.g. if tracked regularly or have a stupid diff ratio) you should put more in. It helps to avoid lifter tick (which I may have erroneously attributed to higher pressure) and helps to stop the oil overheating.

Oh I agree, for normal (what I referred to as gentle in my original post) driving the 6.5 litres recommended by BMW is correct.

For cars which spend a lot of time above ~4,000rpm (e.g. if tracked regularly or have a stupid diff ratio) you should put more in. It helps to avoid lifter tick (which I may have erroneously attributed to higher pressure) and helps to stop the oil overheating.

Your crank is working its way through a sea of oil down there in the bottom end of the engine you know....

I'm still struggling to believe it really, any info on the Internet anywhere?

Use any oil that meets LL01/LL04. Remember most XW30's don't meet spec such as Mobil 1 XW30.

I have read on here that people seem to use 5w 30 oil in their 330's and wondered if there is any particular make to go for - Mobil, Castrol etc etc

The reason i am asking is my amber oil light has started to appear and i was going to do an oil change. Also how much oil does the engine need (ideally in ltrs)

Any feedback is welcomed

Thanks

Sesame Oil in mine ;)