hazzer321

Advice On 320D Exhaust System?

within the next couple of months i am hoping to install a new exhaust system for the car. would i be better off installing an ecotune cat back system, or installing the ecotune decat down pipe and the ecotune backbox leaving the centre cat in place. as i want nice note from the exhaust but not overkill.

advice would be grateful please.

If its a bit more poke your after there is no need to change the whole exhaust only the down pipe as there is no power gains from changing anything else but that.

If your system is a bit tired and you want to remove the down turned tail pipe then you could go for a whole system but then all I did was cut the down turned tail off and weld on a round tip from an BMW.

If it was me I'd stick with just the down pipe and leave the rest alone but it depends on what you want.

Hope that helps

i think i am going to go ahead the with downpipe from ecotune for the performance gains, will just the downpipe replacement give a nice note from the exhaust without changing anything else? also does anybody know if ecotune supply new bolts with there downpipe?

As a fellow 320d owner I have the ecotune down pipe fitted. Rather than post it I rang up ecotune and spoke to stan about picking it up as I was in hillington that day. Top guy, extremely polite and helpful on advising me on the correct part.

In response to you questions, the down pipe alone does not give any difference to the exhaust tone, the whistle from the turbo is a little more audible however. The bolts were not supplied with mine but I didn't ask as my dad is a mechanic so new bolts were not an issue. I am unsure on the hp gains but there was a more willingness from the engine and revs through the range a little smoother.

I hope this is useful in making your decision.

As a fellow 320d owner I have the ecotune down pipe fitted. Rather than post it I rang up ecotune and spoke to stan about picking it up as I was in hillington that day. Top guy, extremely polite and helpful on advising me on the correct part.

In response to you questions, the down pipe alone does not give any difference to the exhaust tone, the whistle from the turbo is a little more audible however. The bolts were not supplied with mine but I didn't ask as my dad is a mechanic so new bolts were not an issue. I am unsure on the hp gains but there was a more willingness from the engine and revs through the range a little smoother.

I hope this is useful in making your decision.

I'll second what Jamie has to say.

Stan is a top bloke and always keen to help if he can also Jamie is right the car is more willing and seams to pick up quicker.

I wouldn't be willing to say what it does figures wise on paper but for the money it is a worthwhile mod.

Basically due to the cat/particle filter being right after the turbo you get a lot of heat soak and doing away with it lowers the induction temp which is a good thing.

And just to add a small note on Mot worries, since the new regulations came into force a decat on a diesel is a fail providing the car came with a cat as standard which ours did. Due to the location of the cat on our car it is well hidden behind a few heat shields so it shouldn't cause an issue. There are many folk on here who claim it has passed so I'm not overly worried. I kept the old cat just incase. Can't throw away parts as you never know when you will need it

There are 2 cats on the 320d exhaust system. The primary cat which is what the ecotune down pipe replaces and there is a secondary cat around the middle of the car. Providing there is nothing on your car that arouses suspicion of the tester it should be fine imo. But in response to the op you can't really go wrong with the ecotune down pipe. Money well spent I feel.

While this topic is here, I'll post on this rather than starting another thread.

Does anybody have any pictures of there E46 saloon with the ecotune back box fitted along with M-Sport rear bumper.

The single downfacing tailpipe is something I don't like, and would rather change full backbox/system than just change tailpipe.

Also any other different tailpipe/brand exhausts would be nice to see. :)

The Ecotune exhaust for the 320d is in three parts and I think from what i remember talking to Stan from Ecotune is that you cant fit the their rear sections on their own it has to be the whole system including the down pipe but you can fit the down pipe with the oringinal system as i have done.

I removed the single down turned tail pipe buy cutting it off and welding on a single pipe from a golf gti (as that was the size and shape of pipe that looked stock)

Didnt really want to pay £350 for a full stainless system, not to get any performance gains and only just to get the tailpipe!

There are quite a few owners on here that have it done

Can you put just a ecotune downpipe and ecotune back box with no issues?

Yes, although sometimes it takes a bit of fiddling to fit it properly, at least it did for me.

I've also recently fitted a stainless back box which means you can retain the centre cat.

Edited by ben

Cheers Ben. I pressume you have the Ecotune downpipe, do you have there back box too? What did you have to do to make the backbox fit perfectly?

I bought a back box from eBay on a bit of a wim. I was going to have a stainless cat back system custom made but decided not to.

I have ecotunes downpipe too yes. The back box came in two parts and fits straight onto the centre section without any mods. Here is the back box I bought:

http://item.mobileweb.ebay.co.uk/viewitem;PdsSession=9a90e0b21390a5aa83769ea6ffeea188?itemId=370552791941&index=6&nav=SEARCH&nid=48904473290

I offered £150 and it was accepted. The fit is very good and it actually gives quite a good sound.

I bought a back box from eBay on a bit of a wim. I was going to have a stainless cat back system custom made but decided not to.

I have ecotunes downpipe too yes. The back box came in two parts and fits straight onto the centre section without any mods. Here is the back box I bought:

http://item.mobilewe...nid=48904473290

I offered £150 and it was accepted. The fit is very good and it actually gives quite a good sound.

Nice one fella, Im thinking to do down that route too as I dont see the point in getting a full system. You got any pics or vids of yours?

That one would not fit a coupe would it?

A quick pic without the diffuser as its being painted.

6A3B633F-51CE-4AED-9826-BF67D644E4AC-1157-000000A30271B591.jpg

I tried to upload a video clip but it said it was too large

Nice one mate, I think I may just stick with the eco tune one. As fitting wise its going to be straight fit, and the quality is far much better than the ebay one I found.

I do like your one but not sure if it will fit a coupe and they dont sell coupe specific ones

Looks like a nice exhaust Ben. Look forward to pics once the rear diffuser is back on to see how it sits inside the cutout.

I had a s/s exhaust system fitted on my 320d by MIJ performance. I love the turbo whine from it, plus it looks a lot better...money well spent imo :thumbup: