chrisdM3

Tyres For Track Days

Hi, just got a set of wheels sorted out for my m3 for track days, there 18's what tyre size should I run it's a 2003 and wheels are 8" and 8.5 " wide.

Also what tyres do people run for track days ? I was looking at federal 595 rsr as there on offer just now, never used them before, but I have ran slicks , yoko 048's and 888's on my 306 but Im aware the m3 is a totally different car so looking at what is best suited for it, any help be good lads cheers Chris

Although it was on a mini, some chaps I know recently switched from 888s to the federals and were a good improvement in TA, plus the 888s are noisy buggers! LolI think the federals were comparable in the dry but didn't go off as fast after consecutive laps while they were significantly better in the wet :)Worth a punt for the money I recon. These were the rs-r versions btw.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Edited by keano

I have used Toyo T1R's which are ok, but then recently switched to 888's which were amazing. TBH if your budget allows i would go with 888's all day long and have a second set of wheels to stick some wet slicks on for when its raining as the 888's really dont like the rain.

I also will be trying out a set of A048's this weekend at Anglesey. Im expecting them to be very similar to the 888's to be honest as they look identical.

they would be for a ring trip and few trackscotland days up the hill.

In that case even more reason not to get the 888s:

- the noise of 888s on a trip to Germany would drive you nutts...

- The federals are nearly as good in the wet as they are in the dry - definately not my experience with 888s !!!

T1Rs arent a proper track day tyre IMO - more a fast road tyre and not really fairly comparable.

I had a set of hankook ventus RS2s a while back and they were great when up to temp but when cold and in the rain they were a bit scary at times.

Pirrelli Pzero Corsa's Chris, brilliant tryes, i used them on a trip to Germany and they were great! even in the wet at the 'ring, didn't drive with them on the road though. They did a full trackday at Mallory and Cadwell after the 'ring trip and there is still plenty left in them, they are still at my workshop so when you pick up the wheels you can see how much is left in them, unfortunately for you they are 17's.

I didn't meant when on track but if you've got a 10hour drive to get to the track it's a different story IMHO.

You big girl! I drove all the way back from the ring with 888's on in a completely stripped E36.

just looked at those federals on camskill, are they legal for road use? do they wear down fast? what would be the compromise if i used these everyday?

From the Federal website which would indicate they are road legal but are not intended for road use...

Proven on the circuit, the 595RS-R is highly acclaimed and much demanded for drifting, sprinting and track-day applications. The sleek design and ultra high performance of the 595RS-R makes it the number one choice for those requiring a motorsport tire but with the assured standards of a street legal tire. Even DOT approved or E-Mark approved Federal competition tyres are designed and compounded for competition use only and are not intended for highway or road use.

Road noise isint an issue with my harmon kardon or what ever it is sound system lol, seriously tho it's not a track car it will do the odd day reason Im getting track wheels and probly going for rsr or 888's, run pilot sports on my CSL alloys an like them but don't fancy eating them up on the track as not cheap!!

Wimp, I used to drive my 205 track car 24 miles to work during the summer. I had to wear ear protectors, must have looked like a right t**t to be fair. Fun though, well until the last 1/2 mile of stop start traffic using a paddle clutch and made me look like even more of a t**t oh and parking it too. In fact in hindsight I'm not sure why I drove it to work.....

i'm dailying mine atm, been thinking about ear defenders as i have a set at work i could use, instead i'm using in-ear headphones which seems to work well to block out noise and allow me to listen to music without needing it turned up too loud. Only thing i do miss are the interior lights now the evenings are drawing in.

Im also dailying my 325, and in fact have stuck over 10k miles on it this summer as the Evo is off the road and the brakes decided to completely die on the VX220.

That said i decided to keep the radio in mine as i figured the .005 of a second a lap quicker it would make by removing it wasnt worth it, lol. Just plug the ipod in and turn it up full with shocks on the stiffest setting and enjoy some fun motoring!

You big girl! I drove all the way back from the ring with 888's on in a completely stripped E36.

Lol fair enough - my point and all i was just saying was, why suffer when the federals aren't noisy, are as good in the dry and far better in the wet cf the 888s...

Not saying the 888s aren't good but the federals are a better choice IMHO. :)