Sam

Adverts No Longer Allowed Replies

The ad's section seems to be one of the areas where the mods have to spend a fair bit of time tidying up topics etc. So, until I get an actual 'classifieds' area going, any topic created in the "for sale" sections can no longer be replied to.

If you wish to contact a member regarding their item, please PM them or use any contact information left on the advert.

Sellers shouldn't bump ads! This will also mean all ads are in 'posted date' order. Should make it fairer.

Subscribers (only people who can sell) can edit their posts, so price updates etc can be done by them.

Daz - If someone is desperate to sell they can just copy and paste the add into a new on as often as they like. This is how it works over on E36coupe and they dont have issues.

So whos' going to be the first memeber to fill the for sale section with the same for sale thread over and over? You'll need a limit on how often you can re create the for sale thread else it will get out of hand.

Edited by Longun

No

So whos' going to be the first memeber to fill the for sale section with the same for sale thread over and over? You'll need a limit on how often you can re create the for sale thread else it will get out of hand.

I don't think it will, and if it does just report it and mods can delete any old threads if needs be.

No

I don't think it will, and if it does just report it and mods can delete any old threads if needs be.

Yes but this comes back to something blair aways goes on about. Clear defined rules. How can a mod remove multiple posts for the same for sale ad when no limit is clearly defined by the mods.

Set a limit imo. Its not hard to simply state you have to wait 7 days before you can recreate your advert. Really how much effort is involved in writing that rule down so people can read it and follow it?

I'm trying to help, not hinder.

Edited by Longun

The ONLY issue i see with this is new users who have not got the prescribed post count being unable to contact the seller. Is there any way round this?

C.

This is a very good piont. New users can't PM until 50 posts, and can't reply to the thread. Any way we can get around this Sam?

Yes but this comes back to something blair aways goes on about. Clear defined rules. How can a mod remove multiple posts for the same for sale ad when no limit is clearly defined by the mods.

Set a limit imo. Its not hard to simply state you have to wait 7 days before you can recreate your advert. Really how much effort is involved in writing that rule down so people can read it and follow it?

I'm trying to help, not hinder.

Lets face it, not everything in the world is as black and white as we like to think it is, and in this instance i think a bit of simple common sense would prevail. I don't see how it is going to be possible for us to moderate every for sale thread and when it was first posted and when a repeat post has been made. So even if there was a rule that said, "no re-posts for 7 days", who is going to have time to make sure its not being abused?

If people start to take the piss with the way things are as it now stands then we will review it, but at least give it a chance.

Lets cleara a few things up.

I don't want people to bump topics. You can't bump on AT or PH or any other car sales site, so why on this one? I want it to be done on 'posted on' order, people can then browse the newer (and more likely to be available) ads first.

The PM limit was put in place to stop people joining the site, buying something and then disappearing. Why change it?

Lets face it, not everything in the world is as black and white as we like to think it is, and in this instance i think a bit of simple common sense would prevail. I don't see how it is going to be possible for us to moderate every for sale thread and when it was first posted and when a repeat post has been made. So even if there was a rule that said, "no re-posts for 7 days", who is going to have time to make sure its not being abused?

If people start to take the piss with the way things are as it now stands then we will review it, but at least give it a chance.

Fair enough you guys have to run the place. Just making suggestions :D

I don't want people to bump topics. You can't bump on AT or PH or any other car sales site, so why on this one?

Because on AT/PH people take the ad down when the item is sold. On here that never happens. I can't speak for everyone, but I only ever look at the first page or two of the for sale ads. If someone's selling a car, it wont take long before it's down on page 4 and people aren't actually seeing the advert anymore.

The PM limit was put in place to stop people joining the site, buying something and then disappearing. Why change it?

I thought it was put in place to stop people joining and PMing members directly for help without contributing anything to the forum?

I like this idea.. the only exception is for the Driving Simulator that is up for sale as its too cool and I had to post on it :) Also, liking the idea of it preventing new people coming in just to buy something and then bugger off again.. that's site abuse even if you miss out on a sale. Cant knock it too much, the people that would buy would mostly be regular site users don't you think?

Edited by Stooza

I like this idea.. the only exception is for the Driving Simulator that is up for sale as its too cool and I had to post on it :) Also, liking the idea of it preventing new people coming in just to buy something and then bugger off again.. that's site abuse even if you miss out on a sale. Cant knock it too much, the people that would buy would mostly be regular site users don't you think?

I had to do the same thing. Both of us got shot down ;) Was thinking about PM'ing the OP asking he start another thread showing us the build :D

I think its all great apart from not allowing a bump.

At least that way you know the seller is actively monitoring the advert and is still selling the item. If its not been bumped then its likely no longer for sale.

It's the same thing allowing the seller to re-post and removing older posts but seems like an un-necessary bit of admin that I think could be avoided were you to just lock sale ads to the poster to edit/reply.

The end goal is the same though and I agree its deffo the way forward. :)

Edited by momo

Your site sam but imho this is a crap idea. Youre gonna end up with multiple posts for items and people having no idea when its sold.. And things that dont sell too quickly will soon disappear making it impossible to "promote" with a bump.

Its not like all buyers will be searching. Many people buy on the whim if something cool is advertised.