Sam

Adverts No Longer Allowed Replies

Haven't read the whole thread but most of it and there are some valid points in here.

Couldn't you make it so the seller creates the For Sale thread and only the seller can post in that thread, leaving him to bump up the thread and update with comments / pics / price etc etc.

I can see where you are coming from with the No comments bit but most of the time the comments that are made are useful to the seller or other potential buyers.

I don't want topics bumped for the sake of it.

There are/were rules in place to stop adverts turning into chat topics, people ignored them, so the privilege of replys was removed

I don't bump my topics for the sake of it, I bump them up to the top of the pile for my item to sell.

It is very easy for a topic to be pushed down the list to the bottom or even onto page 2 and it could only be 1 week old.

Agreed with the replies bit Sam and I still stand by the Seller should have the ability to post in their own for sale thread, no one else :D

I don't bump my topics for the sake of it, I bump them up to the top of the pile for my item to sell.

It is very easy for a topic to be pushed down the list to the bottom or even onto page 2 and it could only be 1 week old.

I just don't get this obsession to keep an advert at the top? Whats the problem with it going down the page? It's not as if potential buyers only look at the top 5 items (unless they are complete idiots).

When looking for an item in a classifeds like PH, most itelligent people will scan down until you see items that were there when you last looked, then you know you've seen everything. Having something at the very top doesn't mean it will sell any quicker.

In addition, if every seller started bumping there items up to the top, it'd be a never ending chase to keep you item up there.

A sequential order makes sense and is fair for everyone who lists and item.

Agreed with the replies bit Sam and I still stand by the Seller should have the ability to post in their own for sale thread, no one else :D

That is for the sake of it. Rather than every seller bumping a topic every 24 hours, why not make it fair for everyone and do them in date order? As Keith says, surely people don't look at the newest item only.

I'm going to close this topic later on, as its going round and round, with people not understanding the reasons why the rules have changed. If you've got anything constructive to post, please do so now.

surely this idea of taking things off topic needs some common sense to moderate rather than a hard and fast rule. To me a thread on a community forum should be like a conversation, you wouldn't immediately take a verbal conversation off topic, that would be seen as breaking an unwritten social rule (read 'being rude'), but if a topic of conversation had run its natural course it would likewise be a bit odd if someone didn't take the lead and present something new to discuss.

Whilst I agree with your point 100%, there is a problem with that. When we do delete posts, we'll get people moaning that we deleted theirs but let other threads go off topic. By having a rule, at least we can point them to that. Otherwise we'll delete someones post, they'll moan, we'll try and explain and they'll simply say "Well there's no rule to say that", or "Show me the rule about that then".

Maybe the option to allow more topics per page for the adverts section would be a good idea ? the only reason a bump is valid is so that it doesn't get buried 4 pages back and out of sight, most people including myself probably lose interest after clicking through 3 pages, if more ads per page you would just be scrolling, physiological thing I appreciate but valid I feel.

I dont think we have enough for sale threads for anything to be lost 4 pages + back. In fact i have just been and looked and there is a thread on the very first page of the for sale that has been there since Aug 30th. So its still on the first page almost a month after it was posted.

So all this talk of bumping a thread is pretty pointless really!

That is for the sake of it. Rather than every seller bumping a topic every 24 hours, why not make it fair for everyone and do them in date order? As Keith says, surely people don't look at the newest item only.

I'm going to close this topic later on, as its going round and round, with people not understanding the reasons why the rules have changed. If you've got anything constructive to post, please do so now.

I understand the reasons for you doing it but still don't agree with it.

It's your site so you are free to do what you like. I agree with some of the suggestions that have been put in this topic. You do not however, therefore they will never come to fruition.

This should have been locked lond ago.

I dont think we have enough for sale threads for anything to be lost 4 pages + back. In fact i have just been and looked and there is a thread on the very first page of the for sale that has been there since Aug 30th. So its still on the first page almost a month after it was posted.

So all this talk of bumping a thread is pretty pointless really!

I think the difference here is your perception of the user journey. You're assuming a user clicks into the for sale section specifically looking for something. This isn't necessarily what happens. The user is quite likely to perform a site search, which will return many results that aren't really related to the for sale section. The search results will be ranked partly by the last post, so the bump will promote it in the search results.

Alternatively, a user such as myself will *always* read the forum using the 'view new posts since last visit' option and therefore have no idea what section a topic is in, and see all the posts on the forum in reverse date order, from when the last post was made. In this case the bump will put that for sale ad at the top of my view of the site.

I would be surprised if there were that many users who log onto the site and then systematically drill down into the different site sections. I don't even organise my email into folders. I just have 5 years of email in one mailbox, because it's all indexed and I'm only a search away from finding anything I need. This is how people have come to use their email with gmail and hotmail. It's increasingly how they use the Internet in general (which is why google is so successful).

But don't listen to me. It's not like I do this for a living or anything :)

Edited by mit

So what your saying is we need a thread educating people on how to use the for sale section properly? For example there are specific sections for different types of parts. Each section can be sorted in terms of the last post, or the date it was added.

Regardless of how this is handled there is always going to be people that argue the opposite is correct. I said this back on (i think) page 4 maybe, and here we are 3 pages later going over the same thing.

No, what I'm saying is that no matter how much you want to organise the site, that won't always line up to how people actually want to use it. Just because you put up a sign, doesn't mean everyone thinks the sign is right. A bit like the speed limit sign :)