Shabaza

330Cd Brakes - Upgrade Info Required

So I just failed my MOT on front wishbone arms and bushes (too much play),

Rear brake pads need replacing, all round disc brakes as advisory items.

I see this as an opportunity to upgrade, so was wondering whether anyone on here would recommend some brake discs and pads that are the correct size for a 330cd that they have used?

I need to order them ASAP so any input would be much appreciated!

thanks for the replies

I'm going to steer clear of drilled/grooved after further research

I here Ferodos also leave plenty of brake dust aswel

I'll look at some brembo disks with red stuff maybe?

Also can you get uprated wishbones?

Brembo or stop-tech. Not worth faffing with ebay stuff or drilled/grooved unless you know why you're getting drilled/grooved. But it looks like you've already researched that.

The thing is, a set of Brembo discs costs about half as much as your whole car is worth, so the benefit for the price isn't worth it. When I had a lot more money to burn on my car (because it was new to me) I considered brembos but just ended up going OEM. They've been fine for 5 years!

Edited by mit

Just had Pagid discs and pads fitted to the front, get them from Euro Car Parts and enjoy 31% off as well.

Cost me £117

They are OEM ones though, the Pagid peformance pads cost that (or more) alone!

Brembo or stop-tech. Not worth faffing with ebay stuff or drilled/grooved unless you know why you're getting drilled/grooved. But it looks like you've already researched that.

The thing is, a set of Brembo discs costs about half as much as your whole car is worth, so the benefit for the price isn't worth it. When I had a lot more money to burn on my car (because it was new to me) I considered brembos but just ended up going OEM. They've been fine for 5 years!

To be fair I got a full set of Brembo Drilled Discs for less than 400 quid......at the end of the day they are still just bits of metal and I doubt they actually perform any better than some Chinese steel copies for half the price ?

I run OEM stuff on mine though and it does the job

Yeah ill agree with Rich

I use standard Pagid discs from euro with the 6 pots and they are fine, ive even removed the semi floating cross drilled discs as they were noisey and to be fair theres no need for them

A good set of standard discs and slightly uprated pads will do the trick

I'm just going from experience, they made a massive difference to my brakes....

Why the hate?

Oh no me too - I have the dimpled/grooved discs with Yellow stuff pads and braided hoses. The brakes are absolutely fantastic as far as i'm concerned. MUCH better than the OEM rubbish but it just seems that others don't agree (some are very passionate about how poor they are).

I think it might be because maybe it's quite a generic compound they use? The yellow is the same stuff whether it's for an M3 or a 316i. I see where they're coming from with that argument however it doesn't mean they're crap! Mine are superb!

Would I get them again? More than likely!

But if Brembo decide to release a proper drilled disc for the 330 then i'd rather go for them with some fast road pads.

My ONLY criticism of the EBC setup is the Yellowstuff pads do like to chomp the discs a little too much. Nothing major though..

Oh no me too - I have the dimpled/grooved discs with Yellow stuff pads and braided hoses. The brakes are absolutely fantastic as far as i'm concerned. MUCH better than the OEM rubbish but it just seems that others don't agree (some are very passionate about how poor they are).

I think it might be because maybe it's quite a generic compound they use? The yellow is the same stuff whether it's for an M3 or a 316i. I see where they're coming from with that argument however it doesn't mean they're crap! Mine are superb!

Would I get them again? More than likely!

But if Brembo decide to release a proper drilled disc for the 330 then i'd rather go for them with some fast road pads.

My ONLY criticism of the EBC setup is the Yellowstuff pads do like to chomp the discs a little too much. Nothing major though..

Whole heartedly agree with this!

I have yellowstuff all round on my 325 track car and they are more than capable of keeping the car going for 40min sessions plus. Braided hoses and 5.1 is where the best gains are to be had.

You get what you pay for!

When I’ve wanted decent brakes on a car I’ve always used Pagid pads, RS-29's or versions of!

They are expensive but when you compare them to something like EBC yellows the difference is night and day but EBC seam to market them as a top notch Kevlar ceramic pad which they aren’t.

Not saying they aren’t better than OEM, they have to be by nature of their advertising but when it comes to comparing the two, something with a long history of racing and a proving tack record the you just can’t!

For example BMW use Pagid pads for their ring 24hours and also group N such as what’s fitted to the E30 M3, Porsche use them along with Lambo and others

I know someone will say that EBC pads are used for racing! yes they are but club circuits and BTCC but the compound that they use for BTCC isn’t the same as you get off of the shelf or EBay for £80

If you search the web and find all of the comments that people have made about EBC pads not only for BMWs but all cars the negatives far out way the positives.

Ive used Yellows**tes on an Audi TT and re fitting the OEM ATE pads was a breath of fresh air the EBC pads were dangerous to say the least.

They had no cold stopping power and when you got them up to temperature there was a knife edge of braking force before they over heated and ended up worse than when they were cold.

I then decided to contact EBC which took me a while as they don’t normally deal with customers!!!!! Only dealers but even then from what I understand they are very hard to get hold of usless you want to buy stuff from them.

When I did finally talk to one of thier two “experts” about the pads the reason they said my brakes were not working as expected is because I didn’t have the same yeallows**te on the rears.

Didn’t tell them that I actually had Pagid race pads on it!!! But basically that talked complete dribble

Hence with all the reviews online I wouldn’t touch any EBC stuff ever again with a long pooey stick

And seriously you’d put your faith into a pad called yellow stuff?!!!!