Wils

Throttle Adaption Reset

tried this this afternoon...as ive had problems with kick down....and slow throttle increases with my 2001 325ci auto.....have to say after an oil top up and trying this concept out i did fell a difference in the cars behaviour under differeing types of accerlation....espcially in sport mode.....

thank you for the tip...well worth doing in my opinion if you have some spare time to go out after doing the procedure and hitting some fast roads to test out the new throttle response!

:lol:

Gunna give this a try today after work. Good excuse for a blast after work :worthless:

How can I find out which engine I have? Its a 2001 318ci 2litre.

Going to try this on my new 318Ci today. Its an early 02 model so guess its an N42 engine. Any way to know if it works? Does anything flash up?

Going to try this on my new 318Ci today. Its an early 02 model so guess its an N42 engine. Any way to know if it works? Does anything flash up?

No way of knowing, other than the car feeling different to drive, but you can't really be sure if that's psychological either because you know you've done the reset so you're expecting a result anyway B)

Zoner Jags got me to do this to mine at the weekend, and to be honest, i think it did make a difference. In fact, i was caught out by the car shooting off from junctions faster than expeted twice over the weekend. However, again its hard to say if this is just all in your mind and that you are actually driving differently!

Also....

If you reset this, and the system is meant to learn your style, surely you have to thrash the hell out of the car all the time to maintain this setting all the time (or reset it each time you drive your car)?

If you drive it normally most of the time, I guess it would adjust back to a "normal" position/setting?

Zoner Jags got me to do this to mine at the weekend, and to be honest, i think it did make a difference. In fact, i was caught out by the car shooting off from junctions faster than expeted twice over the weekend. However, again its hard to say if this is just all in your mind and that you are actually driving differently!

Also....

If you reset this, and the system is meant to learn your style, surely you have to thrash the hell out of the car all the time to maintain this setting all the time (or reset it each time you drive your car)?

If you drive it normally most of the time, I guess it would adjust back to a "normal" position/setting?

I actually thought the same thing! I'm just gonna do it everytime I drive now! haha I only drive at weekends anyways so no biggy!

Which way do we do this as I have seen this (below) posted by a member on the forum also?!

Here's another one ... i pick up this tip from bimmerfest forum apparently a service advisor of a dealership did the following steps as the car owner coplaining about the laggy throttle response ... It seems that our DME adapts to our driving pattern. Please note that the adaptation is done on #2. Honestly it worked for me and I have to say that the throttle and acceleration was noticeably different ... tho it's a bit jumpy during traffic jams ... This method works for steptronic and SSG tho i suspect any BMW car that has throttle by wire will benefit as well regardless of the transmission. So please give feedbacks whether this works or not for you guys :angry:

1. turn the key to position 2

2. press the gas pedal fully to the floor. (far as it will go) .... wait 30-45 seconds

3. turn off key then start the car and drive.

Note: I have done this several times it works best if you pressed the accelerator 1st then turn on key to position 2 ... again results may vary do post your findings ...

Which way do we do this as I have seen this (below) posted by a member on the forum also?!

I havent tried this method but it seems very similar to the method for throttle reset on the E90/E92 models. Will give this a go and see if there is any difference to the normal way i do it seeing as i have an SSG. Will post when i do it.

i just did this , this morning and the eml and asc lights came on had this before immobiliser has kicked in cant believe it,,,all i need is a jump with leads, the last time this happened thats what i did had it on the 5 series too , wouldnt be such a nightmare but theres about 2 ft of snow and i am on the pavement parked, whats the thing when you sit in the car and wait for about 10mins again, this is printed in the manual for the 5 series but not in the 3 series when the immobiliser kicks in

For those with M54 M54 MS43 lumps under the bonnet with throttle drive by wire ( electronic ) and not by a cable there is a reset than can be made that may improve throttle response. This is typically done if a customer complains after an a new EDK is installed - allthough it should be done as part of the procedure anyway).

Its easy and quick just 20 seconds thats all !!

1 Place key in ignition and turn to detent 1 and count for 10 seconds ( only postion 1 do not start the engine. )

2.Turn key back to 0 postion and count for another 10 seconds

3.Now turn the key all the way to detent 3 to start the engine

Thats it your throttle is now reset. this can help to improve the cars throttle response. this little trick is always worth a go if you feel the car is a little sluggish or has been bought off someone who has just gone to the shops n back in thier BM. In theroy the throttle should now adapt slightly to your driving style

Can anyone confirm this would work on my car? - Is there any possible downside of me trying regardless?

They wouldnt have set this same method to make earlier models to explode or anything would they if i do try it? :)

Can anyone confirm this would work on my car? - Is there any possible downside of me trying regardless?

They wouldnt have set this same method to make earlier models to explode or anything would they if i do try it? :lol:

dude i am crap with computers but read this on e46 fanatics website titled THROTTLE ADAPTION aimed at 1999 323i owners with m52u engine.

1.turn key to on position[not start] position,just before the starter turns over.

2.press accelerator pedal to the floor,with the key in the on position.

3.hold the pedal to the floor for 5 seconds,then turn back key to off position [dont remove key] then release accelerator pedal.

4.wait for 2 minutes for full alignment.

5.then drive off as normal.

i have slightly edited this to cut out the americanisms but if you look yourself you will get the gist has anybody else read or tried this??????????

post-3183-1263139601_thumb.jpg

I have done it the origina posters way before a few times. I didnt hear any click to confirm?

mr wolf, have you tried the OP's way?

yeah tried it ,but did not see any difference.but after reading this on e46 fanatics website perhaps it works on mine being a different engine m52u [u meaning uprated] just wanted too see if anybody had tried it before i have a bash ie.cold feet by the way its pete but i like the mr.wolf title. :(

The m54 engines are completely Drive-by-wire. They have a procedure that will reset the throttle adaptation that gives better acceleration in the lower RPMs(1000-3000). This is the 10 second on and 10 second off then start procedure. This actually does work I have tried it on many 330i’s and 325i’s.

However, the m52u engines found in the 323i (e46 1999/2000) or 528i (e39 1998) has a throttle body that is cable driven and motor driven. There is a procedure to reset the throttle adaptation listed below, but requires you have a BMW GT1 to reset the adaptation values before resetting the throttle adaptation by turning the key to the on position then pressing the gas pedal 4 times WOT.

Now, I have tried this procedure without performing the reset of the adaptation using the GT1 and do not feel any difference.

Searching online, I found several articles about Throttle body Adaptation. The one below came from Suzuki SX4Club.com

“The Throttle is "Drive By Wire" and adapts to your particular driving

style. Do a TBA Throttle body adaptation.

1. Get in your car, it doesn't matter if you close the door or not.

2. Turn the key to the on (not start) position, the position just before the starter turns over.

3. Press the gas pedal to the floor with the key in the "on" position.

4. Hold the pedal to the floor for five seconds, then turn the key back

to the "off" position (don't remove the key), then release the gas

pedal.

5. Wait 2 mins. for a full alignment.

6. Drive the car as you always do

post-3183-1263315216.jpg